• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Lists X-Men, Iron Man Anime DVD Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Both X-Men and Iron Man sucked and 20 bucks for each is way to much
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anything in the article saying that these are the edited versions
LaSean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The Ironman anime is absolutely horrible. Damn it sucks. So did the Wolverine anime, and blade anime also. But the Ironman anime is the worst one of the 4. Haven't watched the X-men anime because the other marvel anime was so bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This is almost obviously targeted at Marvel fans first, and less at anime fans. It may be dub-only but likely to be unedited, for the same reason the Japanese do it: to entice people who already saw it on edited TV to still buy it on home video.

504NOSON2 wrote:

This will, probably, do fairly well with Marvel fans (about as well as physical media can do). But, it's still relatively unknown or unseen, especially in the Western Hemisphere.

Many western fans still buy even sight-unseen previously foreign-released videos, like what happened with other western properties.

Lord Geo wrote:
If the G4 airings were edited for content, specifically if scenes were cut for time as well, then there's the possibility that the shows were edited first and then dubbed.

It'd be easier to record everything first then edit later. That way, if there's any changes in editing, they don't have to reschedule the voice actors. It's easier to re-edit than to re-call.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This is especially weird when you consider that Marvel had been showing subbed episodes of the series at conventions in order to create hype for the shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I was somewhat interested in checking this out, after the pretty good review it received. But, an English-only release? No, thanks!

I know dub fans constitute the larger proportion of the anime buying community, but there are a a lot of people who prefer subs and/or abhor dubs. So, this is loss revenue for Marvel Comics, Sony Pictures Television, and Madhouse Studios.

This will, probably, do fairly well with Marvel fans (about as well as physical media can do). But, it's still relatively unknown or unseen, especially in the Western Hemisphere. (Not the franchise, but the Japanese anime adaptation). I have the feeling a flop is on the horizons.

Marvel has two fan bases now one that is a fan of Marvel Studios and one that is a fan Marvel Publishing who will at times support Marvel Studios. In this case I think the anime series will do well with the Studio fans but not the Publishing fans. Most of the X-Fans comments I have heard have largely panned the show as being soulless and going through the motions of the story lines. They removed a lot of the meaning of some of the story arcs by removing the political and social commentary of the arcs they used had, which did not sit well with many fans.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
well get some decent dub actors then it's a deal, i grew up watching the original x-men cartoon from the 90's so it's okay with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
via TVShowsOnDVD.com
Quote:
Iron Man - 'The Complete Series' of G4 TV's Recent 'Marvel Anime' Program

Sony to release a 2-DVD package in April with all 12 episodes

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has today told retailers to expect an April 24th release of Marvel Anime: Iron Man - The Complete Series as a 2-DVD set. Containing all 12 episodes of the 2010 show which aired on G4 TV, the Japanese-produced series has an English voice cast that includes Adrian Pasdar (Nathan Petreilli from Heroes) as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Neil Kaplan (Optimus Prime from Transformers: Robots in Disguise) and Travis Willingham (Hulk from The Super Hero Squad Show). Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions. Cost is $19.99 SRP, but you can pre-order from Amazon at a discount. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned! In the meantime, here are the extras:

• The Marvel Anime Universe: Re-Imagining Iron Man
  • 21st Century Hero: The Technology of Iron Man
  • Special Cross Talk: The Creators Of Marvel Anime's Iron Man and Wolverine
  • Voicing Tony Stark: Interview with Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese voice cast)

via TVShowsOnDVD.com
Quote:
X-Men - Sony Announces 'Complete' DVDs of the 2011 Series Airing on G4

2-disc set of the 'Marvel Anime' program will be out in April

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has today told retailers to expect an April 24th release of Marvel Anime: X-Men - The Complete Series as a 2-DVD set. Containing all 12 episodes of the 2011 show which aired on G4 TV, the Japanese-produced series has an English voice cast that includes Cam Clarke (Adam/He-Man from 2002's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Charles Xavier, Steve Blum (Wolverine from The Super Hero Squad Show) and Jennifer Hale (Jean Grey from Wolverine and the X-Men). Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions. Cost is $19.99 SRP, but you can pre-order from Amazon at a discount. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned! In the meantime, here are the extras:

• The Marvel Anime Universe: Re-Examining The X-Men
  • X-Men: A Team Of Outsiders
  • Special Talk Session: The Creators of Marvel Anime's X-Men and Blade
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions.

If ever there was a textbook example of not jumping to conclusions and instead waiting for officially-solicited details, this is it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm repeating what others have asked: Where are you getting this "edited" idea? Neither ANN's article, ANN's source, nor WTK's info says anything other than that it aired on G4, not that it's the edited version. I've seen Bleach, DRRR, FMA, etc. DVDs advertised as "as seen on [adult swim]", and they're still uncut.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
WTK wrote:
Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions.

If ever there was a textbook example of not jumping to conclusions and instead waiting for officially-solicited details, this is it.

Now comes the next question, are those "closed captions" subs for the Japanese dialogue or dubtitles like on their Blood+ DVDs?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Bamble wrote:
WTK wrote:

Now comes the next question, are those "closed captions" subs for the Japanese dialogue or dubtitles like on their Blood+ DVDs?

...or you can just stop asking question and making excuses to not buy this, other wise you would just buy it and see for yourself.

Also, good on on the jumping to conclusions. I for one could car less for the Japanese dub. Dub FTW.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why anyone would've thought this would've been English only, especially going off an Amazon listing. Amazon listings are notorious not not being totally accurate, especially where languages are concerned. I've seen billingual anime DVDs for sale there with both solo "English" and "Japanese" listings. It's good to know the TVShowsonDVD listing cleared things up...

Not that I especially care, because I never watched these (I have DirecTV, and they understandably snatched G4 a long time ago).
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Bamble wrote:
WTK wrote:

...or you can just stop asking question and making excuses to not buy this, other wise you would just buy it and see for yourself.

Please, i've wanted to buy these shows for a while (especially X-Men for the Japanese cast) but the fact that Sony's involved isn't exactly good news because of issues their previous anime releases had so i'll just wait for reviews to see if these sets are worth buying or not.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
via TVShowsOnDVD.com
Quote:
Iron Man - 'The Complete Series' of G4 TV's Recent 'Marvel Anime' Program

Sony to release a 2-DVD package in April with all 12 episodes

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has today told retailers to expect an April 24th release of Marvel Anime: Iron Man - The Complete Series as a 2-DVD set. Containing all 12 episodes of the 2010 show which aired on G4 TV, the Japanese-produced series has an English voice cast that includes Adrian Pasdar (Nathan Petreilli from Heroes) as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Neil Kaplan (Optimus Prime from Transformers: Robots in Disguise) and Travis Willingham (Hulk from The Super Hero Squad Show). Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions. Cost is $19.99 SRP, but you can pre-order from Amazon at a discount. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned! In the meantime, here are the extras:

• The Marvel Anime Universe: Re-Imagining Iron Man
  • 21st Century Hero: The Technology of Iron Man
  • Special Cross Talk: The Creators Of Marvel Anime's Iron Man and Wolverine
  • Voicing Tony Stark: Interview with Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese voice cast)

via TVShowsOnDVD.com
Quote:
X-Men - Sony Announces 'Complete' DVDs of the 2011 Series Airing on G4

2-disc set of the 'Marvel Anime' program will be out in April

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has today told retailers to expect an April 24th release of Marvel Anime: X-Men - The Complete Series as a 2-DVD set. Containing all 12 episodes of the 2011 show which aired on G4 TV, the Japanese-produced series has an English voice cast that includes Cam Clarke (Adam/He-Man from 2002's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Charles Xavier, Steve Blum (Wolverine from The Super Hero Squad Show) and Jennifer Hale (Jean Grey from Wolverine and the X-Men). Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions. Cost is $19.99 SRP, but you can pre-order from Amazon at a discount. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned! In the meantime, here are the extras:

• The Marvel Anime Universe: Re-Examining The X-Men
  • X-Men: A Team Of Outsiders
  • Special Talk Session: The Creators of Marvel Anime's X-Men and Blade

Ok strike my last comment. We now got confirmation that the DVD will be uncut and will have Japanese audio. Looks like Amazon isn't really being honest on product info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4