• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Confirms English Dub of Gintama: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For reasons that I honestly can't fathom, the anime community seems to think that both of these shows are profound works of straight-faced seriousness that were damn near Earth-shattering in their significance.

Guin Saga is a serious franchise and anime. It's funny that a GAG dub is enough to mess up the perception of the series.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The man is the Philosopher's Stone of anime, and then some. Not only does he fulfill the legend and turn dross to gold but if you give him silver he'll turn it into twice that much gold. Who doesn't like that?

People who gave silver and got crap instead?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Are we back to the idiotic arguing about dub quality? Isn't it sort of pointless? I just don't get it. Some people will like something. Some people won't.

Even a great director will have missteps. I can't think of one in anime ADR production who hasn't done at least one dub I don't particularly care for. There are a few that haven't done a single dub I've enjoyed but that doesn't change the fact that others do like them.

But more to point, the quality of Stephen Fosters work has nothing to do with Gintama as he won't be directing it!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
[quote="dragonrider_cody"]Are we back to the idiotic arguing about dub quality? Isn't it sort of pointless? I just don't get it./quote]

This is anime fandom we are talking about. We will bitch about everything in sight because we can and will to no end.

Quote:
Funny you should mention Angel Beats. From what I personally have seen, it's probably the single most hotly-contested dub that Sentai has produced so far. I've heard plenty of people who think it's great, and lots of people who absolutely cannot stand it.

I personally have not seen the show, so I have no opinion. However, I do know the line "sick with the cancer" was apparently used repeatedly in it, and I can't help but chuckle at how hilariously awkward that phrase sounds. Laughing

I did not see a problem with the cancer line. I know a person I chat with on Twitter agrees with me on the dub, but in the end it just my opinion of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kenpachi 91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
I thought Sentai would make an exception this time around. Now this is giving me second thoughts on whether I should buy it or not. I'll probably wait for a sale or something of the sort.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
For reasons that I honestly can't fathom, the anime community seems to think that both of these shows are profound works of straight-faced seriousness that were damn near Earth-shattering in their significance.

Guin Saga is a serious franchise and anime. It's funny that a GAG dub is enough to mess up the perception of the series.
To clarify, I saw Guin Saga to be a ridiculously absurd series when I saw it in Japanese, long before the English dub came out. It wasn't until I heard how "bad" the English dub was that I decided to check out the show dubbed. The show is still absurd and a thin comedy, so it doesn't really cater to my interests, but I enjoyed it more in English. FWIW.

Quote:
Are we back to the idiotic arguing about dub quality? Isn't it sort of pointless? I just don't get it. Some people will like something. Some people won't.

Even a great director will have missteps. I can't think of one in anime ADR production who hasn't done at least one dub I don't particularly care for. There are a few that haven't done a single dub I've enjoyed but that doesn't change the fact that others do like them.
This sort of moderate appeasement has yet to ever successfully mediate any issue. I chock it up to the inherently condescending attitude that this method exudes. When you point out that there are 2 diametrically opposed sides and that they could just "get along" and "meet in the middle" it can only be taken that you consider yourself above the issue being argued, and that from your vantage point above the metaphoric battlefield you're looking down on those who are fighting it out.

To be more concise, you're trying to fight the raging conflagration of Stephen Foster-induced "nerdrage", the fires of which make last year's US forest fires look like a candle, by pissing it out. Which gets us back to the whole "inherent condescension" bit with your mediation approach; no one likes to be pissed on, but as long as you're raining it down from on high on solely the heads of those who persist in despising Stephen Foster sans evidence...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
There was no condescension intended. This is the third argument on an anime forum about Stephen Foster that I've read in just the past week. The same points get brought up again and again and go nowhere and sometimes it gets pretty heated and nasty. I do admit that I could have used gentler language though.

It seems these days that you can't open any thread on this forum, and to a lesser degree others, without angry complaining, even when it should be good news. A popular anime series is having its movie come over. It's being released on DVD and bluray and both the Japanese language dub and a new English language one will be available. Pretty much all the bases are covered. Other than the fact that the series is still not fully licensed and not yet dubbed, there should be little reason for such negativity.

Then of course there is the fact that STEPHEN FOSTER WILL NOT BE DIRECTING GINTAMA. The disputed quality of his work has nothing to do with it so why argue it in this thread?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Kenpachi 91 wrote:
I thought Sentai would make an exception this time around. Now this is giving me second thoughts on whether I should buy it or not. I'll probably wait for a sale or something of the sort.

An exception to what? Dubbing the bluray? You do know that the Japanese track will still be available?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Kenpachi 91 wrote:

So your not going to buy it because it has a dub included??!!

Because they are adding something extra?¿ wonders never cease with the anime fandumb
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Kenpachi 91 wrote:

So your not going to buy it because it has a dub included??!!

Because they are adding something extra?¿ wonders never cease with the anime fandumb

^This.

You know ARC-1300... it IS going to be a bilingual release, right? You don't have to watch the dub if you don't want to...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Then of course there is the fact that STEPHEN FOSTER WILL NOT BE DIRECTING GINTAMA. The disputed quality of his work has nothing to do with it so why argue it in this thread?
2 Reasons:
1.) Because I seek to find a cogent reason to justify why the fan community despises Stephen Foster. After repeated attempts to find one, the only "reason" the fan community has produced is that it is consumed by factually baseless ire which it has employed circular logic to rationalize(eg:"Stephen Foster sucks because his dubs suck, and his dubs suck because he sucks", after you metaphorically distill the fan hate). I suppose I shouldn't expect such standards from a group of fans who refuse to acknowledge that a Japanese dub can be bad, but I don't want to accept that fellow anime fans could behave so tragically.

2.) I'm unsure of the quality that the relatively inexperienced Kyle Jones will bring to this monumental dub after taking a seemingly long hiatus from directing, which can be seen in his ANN encyclopedia profile. I have confidence, but not as much as I would have were Foster directing.

I also don't want to see Kyle Jones dragged through the mud by the unruly mob of dub-hating fans, which he surely will be (regardless of how "good" the dub is) due to the magnitude of the franchise for which he will be directing the first dub. I enjoyed his previous works, as relatively few and distant they were. As that's rooted in my personal sentiment I didn't list it as a reason.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

To clarify, I saw Guin Saga to be a ridiculously absurd series when I saw it in Japanese, long before the English dub came out. It wasn't until I heard how "bad" the English dub was that I decided to check out the show dubbed. The show is still absurd and a thin comedy, so it doesn't really cater to my interests, but I enjoyed it more in English. FWIW.

You not being able to take the work seriously hardly relegates the franchise into the comedy section on NetFlix. Don't confuse the straight forward honesty of the series with being a genre savvy parody. The latter thinking resulted in crap dub.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I really want them to get Chris Sabat or Steve Blum to play Gintoki....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3