• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto or FMA...which one has a better story?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet_lavender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
many people say they like naruto and others say they like FMA. i don't know which one is better. Some of my friends say they like the story of naruto, but im not really sure and i get confused about it..i also want to show my cousin an anime...she likes action but i don't know which is a better story

Last edited by sweet_lavender on Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Dude... seriously. How in the world do you want to compare 2 totally diferent anime? Where would you start? What would you consider to be good? And in the end all you would get is an answer based solely on ones personal preferences. But here are the facts.
Naruto is definitely aimed at a younger audience so expect FMA to be a little bit more serious. Naruto is a story about ninjas fighting evil (in a nutshel) fma is a story of 2 alchemist trying to turn back their mistakes and fight new foes. Naruto is kinda goofy most of the time. FMA can get really philosofical at times and make it WORK. Both have rather good animation and a catchy OST.
If you want MY oppinion, I would say that FMA beats Naruto in almsot everything. I still kinda like Naruto but the new episodes bore me to deah (Was this way for quite while now). I would say FMA, but this is like comparing apples and oranges.
Efan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yea ima have to agree with Arkard, thats like the old "Eva vs. Gundam who would win in a fight" thing, you just can't compare. It all depends on your cousin: How old is she? Is she smart enough to understand the meaning of FMA, does she like comical fighting or serious fighting. It all boils down to the person. I suggest Naruto if she hasn't watched anime before, and FMA if she's watched a few anime shows before, that way she's not seeing the best first.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I like Naruto better, I think it's a more fun show, but objectively FMA deffinitely has the better story (at least by the end of it).
Furuba_Girl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I have to say that FMA is actually a really good anime. But I can't compare it to Naruto because I've only seen the first two episodes from Toonami...
Soo, I'd say if your looking for something more funny with action go with Naruto but if you want something more serious, as Efan said, then you should go with FMA
It depends on what you like I guess, but I think they're both really good anime so far
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
considering how much filler Naruto has and how detrimental filler can be to a story I vote FMA. also, FMA certainly has me thinking about the plot, how it will move and what the plot is trying to express, far more than what I've seen of Naruto has.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
totally forgot the fillers
well.. because I refuse to watch em
core story is still there... just skip the fillers and its a good ride
lone_samurai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Well you really can't compare Naruto and FMA because thier both good in thier own way, it just depends on the person and what they think of both series as for me I personally think FMA has a better story. But then again that's just what I think.
madpierrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
considering how much filler Naruto has and how detrimental filler can be to a story I vote FMA. also, FMA certainly has me thinking about the plot, how it will move and what the plot is trying to express, far more than what I've seen of Naruto has.

Rolling Eyes Naruto doesn't have that much filler.

For the original question, I like Naruto more, but hey like most others are saying it's up to what you're cousin really likes so look into the two shows and base your choice on your cousins tastes.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Although to a lesser degree than DBZ, the story in Naruto is only there to support the action, while in FMA the action is there to support the story.

FMA beats Naruto down and stomps it a bit.
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
FMA has a great story and great characters but Naruto has ninjas. And trees. Naruto has that fun "let's follow these characters for the next 12 years as we cheer them on" value while FMA has a stronger impact per episode. Both are great shows though so I can't really say which is the best. FMA's got the better story though.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
FMA has a great story and great characters but Naruto has ninjas. And trees. Naruto has that fun "let's follow these characters for the next 12 years as we cheer them on" value while FMA has a stronger impact per episode. Both are great shows though so I can't really say which is the best. FMA's got the better story though.

Yeah, Naruto's definitely a more base and simple sort of series. It basically boils down to doing fantasy ninja tricks while fighting the main bad guy of this season's story arc while learning lessons on friendship & teamwork. Not saying it's bad, but that's honestly just about all there is to it, and it'll go on like that for as long as the fans want it to, much like DBZ.

Fullmetal Alchemist, on the other hand, is a much more thoroughly planned and tightly conceived story about a pair of brothers whose attempts to atone for past sins brings to light political conspiracies & philosophical conflicts of interest among very powerful (and in many cases, highly unexpected) individuals. It's not just a handful of main characters using fancy footwork & magic to just team up and fight any bad guy that crosses their path; it's more about what could possibly be considered a hero's journey, with a definite progression of events and a genuine resolution to things that bases itself more on when IT ends, and not simply when its popularity dips too low to be profitable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Until the decide to make a movie of it. Or an OVA. Or more TV episodes, or a huge series of games. I don't think FMA is any more or less a "sell out" of a show than Naruto, it's just got a more mature plot structure (and even then not by a whole lot). NAruto's longevity (or that of similar shows such as One Piece or Detective Conan) does not mean that the stories are any worse, just that they have a longer view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1