• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you choose your anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair713

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Hey people...just wondering, how do you choose an anime to buy? do you get attracted by the cover, summary, or whatever?

For me, I usually go with how the characters look like, and buy that anime if I have cash with me. or else, i'll just come here and run the encyclopedia to check it out.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
-Stuff I've seen in the Philippines
-MADHOUSE Productions
-At Random

... sometimes on general say-so... depends
TF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote
well, it depends a bit on a few factors:
1) easy to get
2) what do i know about it
3) what have people i know thought of this series
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
I go here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11273 and look at peoples favs., then i watch one ep and see if i like it or not. It's worked pretty well so far Smile
m3g4t0ky0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
I read some reviews or see an advertisement in a magazine/web site, or see a preview on a DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
I choose anime based on three factors:

-do my friends reccomend it?
I've gotten in to a lot of stuff I've loved this way, in fact, one of my favorite anime series, Wolf's Rain, was reccomended to me by no less than 5 friends, some who didn't even know each other, telling me "OMG! You have GOT to see this! It's PERFECT for you!"

-can I sample it?
sampling has gotten me in to some series/movies I otherwise would have passed over. wether it was a sample DVD with a couple eps on it (how I got into the Fruits Basket anime), used anime selling at a low price, aired on TV, or a downloaded ep or two it's lead me to put aside money to buy the DVDs

-does it have any elements in it that intrest me?
I've got a list of high level intrest and medium range intrests I keep an eye out for when browsing anime titles. if I see a series with one or more of them I'll at least sample it, if not straight out buy it.
Depression

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Here are the two main ways that I choose the my anime:

1. What have I heard other people say about it. Was it well made, does it have what I like or am looking for. Or is it terrible and not worth watching. Also what is the average review for the anime. For reviews I usually check several different sites to try and get an accurate feel.

2. Previews or Samples. Almost all DVDs now come with trailers for other anime. I will watch those and then write down the ones that look interesting or good. Also I rent a lot of anime from netflix.com and they have a preview option on there website so you can check out the trailer of a series you might be interested in.
RedComet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I choose from those trailiers I watch, if the story or art and anime appeals and sounds cool or good and if a friend recommends it.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes i choose anime bu the name,other times by characters.

til next time
anime princess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
for i dont care if they dont like my anime i choose anime by my own when i like the looks and the attitude also Surprised
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I started chosing mine by recommendations, and I still get a few recommendations from the guys who work at my local Suncoast, but a lot of it I pick from trailers I see and what I read in the encyclopedia on here. The encyclopedia here is a GREAT research tool for picking anime.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
1) I read about it
2) I see if I like the way it looks
3) Or I pick it at random....I dont know why, but sometimes I do that...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Internet research, and a lot of it. Mostly it involves reading a plot summary or some reviews. I've also been known to pick up a title based on a trailer on one of my DVDs like what happened with Witch Hunter Robin and S-CRY-ed.
Furuba_Girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm..
1) I see if a friend likes it and then I might borrow it from them..
2) If it has a manga that I read (thats how I got into Furuba, by borrowing the manga then buy the manga & anime.) then I'll most likely get it that way.
3) I either see it on 'Anime Network on Demand' or on another channel and I'll get it on DVD (thats how I got into Full Metal Alchemist,InuYasha,etc. And Pretear and FMP, etc. on ANonD)
4) Or if I see a title that I looks interesting I'll check it out here or another site on the internet.

That's how I get my anime. Anime catgrin

Last edited by Furuba_Girl on Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
First as an individual, I never watch a Japanese anime series because someone says I should. (EDIT: Since I don't like watching fansubs, my local video store is my close friend.) I wil research a series on stuff like storyline, violence content, and . . . well, something I call the 4/26 Rule. Basically in a 26-episode series I'll watch the first 4 eps. and make a decision in it's worth continuing to watch. So when FullMetal Alchemist rolled around, my cutoff date was about 8-9 episodes and if you see the "FMA is overrated topic", it wasn't until the end of episode 8 until I made my decision. It's zany, but I notice it works for me.

Last edited by The Frankman on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2