• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JAPAN Anthology

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seventeen authors (nine from France or French-speaking countries, eight from Japan) brought together in the same book, a succession of freely created short stories about the same universe : Japan.
The French, of course, journeyed to Japan for the occasion. Each cartoonist was sent for two weeks to a different city in the archipelago (Joann Sfar in Tôkyô, Emmanuel Guibert in Kyôto, Nicolas de Crécy in Nagoya, etc.) to bring back an original creation.
The Japanese tell us about their district, the city where they live or where they originally come from (Kazuichi Hanawa's story being about the northern island of Hokkaido, Jiro Taniguchi's about the town of Tottori, etc.)

Yeah, so Ponent Mon is publishing this come December (which probobly means next May). The concept is quite interesting. I'm only familiar with a couple of the French artists (Frédéric Boilet and Joann Sfar), but they have some great manga-ka involved in the project such as Daisuke Igarashi, Jiro Tanaguchi and the always amazing Taiyo Matsumoto. This is one of the most ambitious releases I've seen on American shores in quite a while. Price wise, it may seem a tad expensive (260 pages for $24), but considering the high quality books PM usually puts out (as well as the fact that all of their other stuff is insanely overpriced) I think it's worth a look from fans. http://www.ponentmon.com/new_pages/english/japan/frame3.html
In other Ponent Mon news (for the four of you who care), it looks like they're releasing a collection of Nananan Kiriko's short stories, which are some of the best I've ever seen. Hopefully we'll see it before the end of 2006...
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting. I wonder how they came up with this idea.
I saw something similiar recently:

Quote:
Guy Delisle, a 42 years old Canadian, draws comics. On behalf of a Western producer he supervised the implementation of an animation film series in the Chinese boom-town Shenzhen. In a simple, yet very distinctive way, the exhibited drawings illustrate his time in Shenzhen, tell about encounters, observations and reflect his role as the «watch dog» and foreigner from the West with a lot of moderate self-irony. «Shenzhen» presents a modern China that still differs from the West in many ways and everyday rituals. «Shenzhen» is published in French as a comic book by «L'association» and will soon be available in German by the publisher «Reprodukt».

Last edited by smutchi on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This sounds really interesting. I wonder how they came up with this idea.

Frédéric Boilet (who happens to be featured in the anthology) started a movement called Nouvelle Manga which basically combines Japanese and European comic styles. Most of his stuff seems to be autobiographical/introspective in nature, so I'm sure he had alot to do with it.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
«Shenzhen» is published in French as a comic book by «L'association» and will soon be available in German by the publisher «Reprodukt».

L'association is the main part of the Alternative BD movement in France started by David B. He's also very much in support of Boilet's Nouvelle Manga movement, so there is at least a mild connection here.

I can't wait for this anthology as well, though Ponent Mon's release schedule marketing etc have been consistently disappointing. Lets hope these guys can survive long enough to release this.

I think I'm more interested in the upcoming book they are doing by Vanyda, because I want to see more people who are heavily influenced by manga doing work that isn't what you'd normally find these sorts of artist doing (like re-hashes of mainstream harem shows etc) it should be very interesting.... Kind of like how O'Malley and Cloonan are in compairison to the rest of the "amerimanga" market.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
In other Ponent Mon news (for the four of you who care)...

... ^^;
Fantastic news, I think. (I'm still waiting for Blue to come in the mail with vast anticipation.)
This may sound really odd, but I LOVE the artwork on the far-right example page for JAPAN. (The one that starts out "Deux jours avant: entre Paris et Tokushima...") I don't know; something about the utter disregard for proportion combined with the rubber-hose arms and sketchy quality has a certain charm to it that draws me in. It seems both amateurish and intellectual at the same time. But for all I know, the artist isn't trying to be ironic at all. Maybe he just can't draw (although I like it anyways.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fantastic news, I think. (I'm still waiting for Blue to come in the mail with vast anticipation.)

I think they printed too few or something (after delaying it for a long time as well). Amazon just started listing it. Ponent Mon's so inconsistant I really wouldn't be suprised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1