• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Addiction...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does everyone here get nervous when they don't have any anime to watch?

If there isn't an unwatched anime DVD, or something on my PVR, I actually get nervous, like I haven't had nicotine in a while.

I got the shakes after I finished Comic Party, Netflix ended up sending all 4 DVDs at the same time, and of course, I watched all of them in two days and sent them back. Knowing that I wouldn't have anything to watch that weekend, I went into convulsions, passed out, and woke up on the floor in the fetal position. (It may have been bad mayonaise.)

Anyway, what I was wondering was, do you think that you are addicted to anime? How have you delt with:

1. The constant reduction in your bank accounts

2. The constant increase in your credit card balances

3. Your friends/family looking at you strangley when you accidentaly slip otaku phrases into your regular conversations.

4. Working off of little or no sleep because you had to know how the end of (insert anime title name here) turned out.

5. Spending your time reading through poorly authored FanFiction wondering who Tenchi finally choose.

6. Laying awake for hours with the theme song to Mahoromatic repeating in your head.

Someone should start a support group like AA (Animaniacs Anonymous) cause...

I need help!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
Knowing that I wouldn't have anything to watch that weekend, I went into convulsions, passed out, and woke up on the floor in the fetal position. (It may have been bad mayonaise.)

Uh, see a doctor.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
aflimmer wrote:
Knowing that I wouldn't have anything to watch that weekend, I went into convulsions, passed out, and woke up on the floor in the fetal position. (It may have been bad mayonaise.)

Uh, see a doctor.

I may have over-exaggerated a little bit on the illness part, I was just trying to make a point.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I may have got anxious waiting to see and anime or get a manga, but as for getting into fetal position........not so much.

It's one thing to be excited over an anime, or cry for an anime. But when you start needing anime like drugs, then we have a problem. Not to say that I'm not addicted to anime, but ya know I won't start tripping if I don't have any new anime to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
We might say otherewise, but it could be that we are more addicted to anime than we think we are...

But then, who cares right? It's fun... have fun! Razz
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
Zac wrote:
aflimmer wrote:

Uh, see a doctor.

I may have over-exaggerated a little bit on the illness part, I was just trying to make a point.

How the hell do you over-exaggerate? Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Not really, after all since I buy my anime it generally involves a bit of a wait although having 4 to 5 active series I'm collecting at any one time helps. But essentially I have no issues with going awhile with no new anime, I enjoy it but I do not need it or get bothered when I have no new titles to watch. There's simply plenty of other things to do, and if I really want to watch an anime I just put in a title I already own. At this point GSG vol.3 is the only anime I've purchased since the beginning of August when I picked up the last Chrono Crusade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Well.. maybe not to a degree you described, but Yes, sometimes I do get the anime Munchies Very Happy But it is not because I crave anime in any form, oh no! It is just... I guess I am addicted to good cinema. And one more thing.. (stand up) I, Arkard, am a... movie addict. That is correct. There wasnt a day in the past 4 years that I wouldnt watch a movie or an episode of something. Even if it is a rerun or an old episode. But I only watch what I consider "good". And most of the things I consider good include lots of anime. I mean, there are only so many times I could watch The Boondock Saints (love this movie) or Unbraekable before I start to yearn for a little bit of anime. Then its the time to dust off some old CDs and say hi to Vash and Company or to the brave crew of the Bebop.
So to conclude: Sometimes I feel a strong urge to watch anime. But this is an act of mental stimulation Smile
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I am an anime addict, but I don't .... need to watch them like a drug of anything Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop and a perfect example of this is that I still have yet to finish my second volume of Gilgamesh and Gunslinger Girl volume 2. Yeah, I'm so sad Anime smile + sweatdrop but I also am very busy at the moment and have a dumb school-life... Laughing
Furuba_Girl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Shocked uhh... lets see, I'm not that crazy about anime (or manga) but sometimes i really want to watch anime Anime hyper but i have wayyy too much homework from my teachers to actually get bored and think about anime, most of the time... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lone_samurai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:

Anyway, what I was wondering was, do you think that you are addicted to anime? How have you delt with:

Yeah I need a lot of help with that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
No I just read a (non-anime) book or watch one of the many films from my collection when I'm bored. That's what I bought them for. Wink
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:

3. Your friends/family looking at you strangley when you accidentaly slip otaku phrases into your regular conversations.

4. Working off of little or no sleep because you had to know how the end of (insert anime title name here) turned out.

5. Spending your time reading through poorly authored FanFiction wondering who Tenchi finally choose.

6. Laying awake for hours with the theme song to Mahoromatic repeating in your head.

1. I budget XP

2. I use a debit card instead of a credit card

3. my friends and family know I'm strange to begin with XP

4. hey, I had that problem when I was reading 4-6 novels a week, so I'm use to it... plus... COFFEE... and CHOCOLATE COVERED EXPRESSO BEANS!!!!

5. y'know... I never really got into Tenchi that much... and the only reason I read bad fanfiction is to mock it XP

6. I get out my Nightwish CD. the Nightwish version of The Phantom of the Opera is awesome enough you keep playing it over and over in your head wondering why no one else thought of putting that to symphonic metal music Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
If I get addicted to things or think I'm getting addicted, I take whatever steps needed to end the addiction. I once physically smashed a disk with a computer game I played because I was neglecting work, school, friends and my dreams and found no other way of giving it up worked. I rent more anime then I buy for the same reason...not to have it too handy.

Addiction is not a mere interest or thing you enjoy, but something that can take over life, that you can't manage, that kills dreams. Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, are you the person you want to be. If any part of your life is like that stopping you, do what you need to to lessen it's impact and if not, give it up. That can include Anime. XXXholic vol 1 has some good lessons on this subject. Sacrifice your current self for the self you want to be.

With that in mind, as of today I pledged to give up online forums for that very reason. Therefore this is my last post. I wish you all well.

For the last time,
All the Best (Teary eyed),

Nani?
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:

With that in mind, as of today I pledged to give up online forums for that very reason. Therefore this is my last post. I wish you all well.

For the last time,
All the Best (Teary eyed),

Nani?

Are you being serious?
I'll take no answer as a "yes"... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3