• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2011 Comic Sales Totaled 271.71 Billion Yen in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
And they say [they're losing] money from the pirates? Gimme a break now....

That's the American industry, not Japanese. How you can mistake the two, which are vastly different, is beyond me.

http://io9.com/5874951/why-manga-publishing-is-dying-and-how-it-could-get-better

Quote:
But the problem isn't just about fickle Americans — the Japanese manga market is hurting too. Sales of manga magazines, the traditional delivery medium for manga in Japan, peaked in 1995, and have been falling ever since. Graphic novel sales remained steady longer, but have also declined.

Please don't use any of Gawker's sites as credible sources, they live entirely on sensationalist opinionated editorials. And the comments are even worse and clearly aimed at people who only watch Toonami/Adult Swim. Sankaku Complex probably offers more objectivity, or at least doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Your bias against Gawker might have some merit, I don't follow their sites, but the article writer is Jason Thompson.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Your bias against Gawker might have some merit, I don't follow their sites, but the article writer is Jason Thompson.

That's even worse! He writes for ANN and they hate moe! Therefore his argument is invalid.

And nothing of substance about the actual analysis was said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And they say their loosing money from the pirates? Gimme a break now....

they are still losing monery from pirates. i can bet if there is no illegal website for manga, they will sell even more.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
And they say their loosing money from the pirates? Gimme a break now....

they are still losing monery from pirates. i can bet if there is no illegal website for manga, they will sell even more.

The point is that they've posted some great numbers this year, yet they'll still find a way to blame piracy for their troubles. Which is all bull**** when you get into the fact that they still hold onto outdated models and don't seem to want to change with the times.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen them blame piracy for troubles.

Hell, the only thing I've seen about people being arrested for illegal uploading is anime. I've yet to read anything similar about manga uploads.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
A search with 'arrested' and 'manga' brings up a lot of articles talking about people getting arrested for uploading manga online. The one I remember most was the article about the child of some manga publisher who got busted for uploading early leaked copies of some manga on YouTube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2