• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Vs. TokyoPop

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I know that Viz has the world's most popular manga. However, is there any TokyoPop that is in this category? Closest ones I can think of are the various Gundam, Clamp, and Cowboy Bebop tankoubon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
D.N.Angel is selling very well.

GTO and Initial D are very good sellers.

But the only Tokyopop title that is consistently outselling everything from Viz and Del Rey, is Fruits Basket, the number 1 selling manga in North America.

Tokyopop's lack of a close relationship with a major Japanese publisher has cost it the position of number 1 manga publisher. They might put out more skus than anyone else, but not copies.

Fruits Basket closest competition is FullMetal Alchemist. What remains to be seen is if Fullmetal's sales continue strong or not.

Most manga start strong and then start to fade, Fruits Basket did the exact opposite, selling more and more copies as time goes by.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I know that Viz has the world's most popular manga. However, is there any TokyoPop that is in this category? Closest ones I can think of are the various Gundam, Clamp, and Cowboy Bebop tankoubon.

Tokyopop has Love Hina which sold really well when it was being release and one of their popular titles. Fruit basket, which is the most popular shojo in the U.S. Other popular shojo manga are Kare Kano, DNAngel (shonen but girls love it) and Peach girl.

Samurai Deeper Kyo, GTO, Chobits, Initial D and Getbackers seem to be really popular among the shonen crowd. Beck has been getting rave review and good sales, so it will take off when more are release. Saiyuki and Battle Royale also sold really well at one point and get a lot of attention

Also when Kingdom Heart and Samurai Champloo manga to be release, they're going to sell pretty well.

Of course there are pretty good manga that isn't popular such as Planetes, Ice Blade, Parasyte, The Demon Ororon
water_Demon_girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't look for the company's that the manga I'm reading. I look for the favorite show that I want to read. I'm not picky with what company that I purchase(sorry that it is spelled wrong) from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1