• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metal in anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know any anime with heavy metal music? Not the new stuff, thats not real metal. Real metal is stuff from the 70's-80's. Stuff like Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne (with Randy Rhoads), Boston, Rush, Led Zeppelin, AC/Dc. You get the picture. Anways, are there any?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If you're specifically looking for only American bands, then no, there are not. But if you'd like to look beyond your limited musical spectrum, there are some pretty metal/hardcore rock bands in Japan. :)

Rock and Metal was virtually nowhere to seen in Japan till bands such as X-Japan, The Loudness, Buck-Tick, Luna Sea, and Kuroyume came along. And also the Bz's, but they're pretty soft rock. So if you'd like to broaden your range, look into those bands. Out of these bands, I believe only X-Japan ever had a song featured in anime - that song was a piano ballad, and was the ending theme to the X movie. However, a piano ballad is far from metal, and you'll do better to look at their discography instead.

I reccomend X-Japan because they're the best band ever. XD [/my opinions]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not into hardcore metal such as today's stuff. I just want something with a good beat, a good guitar part. Not just random soloing. Stuff like that. Thanks though, I'll look into those bands.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
Paulmarti wrote:
Well, I'm not into hardcore metal such as today's stuff. I just want something with a good beat, a good guitar part. Not just random soloing. Stuff like that. Thanks though, I'll look into those bands.

Most of the bands I listed came around in the mid/late 80's - early 90's, if it makes you feel any better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Akira Takasaki, guitarist for the '80s Japanese metal band Loudness, did the music for the anime Geneshaft.
Metal Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen any anime with metal in it,...but it would be great if they would made something with...Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.... Twisted Evil Cool
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Iron Maiden songs as an opening theme would win my heart. Animetal is a Japanese metal band that plays anime songs as metal.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The Legend of Black Heaven features music from John Sykes and the main character is a big Michael Schenker fan.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The theme to Witch Hunter Robin, "Shell" performed by Bana, as well as the theme to Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 are all that come to mind at the moment as being remotely rock or metal.

Big heavy metal fan myself, both the classics and the newer stuff.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
The only time I can really remember metal in anime was in Session 7 of Cowboy Bebop ;Heavy Metal Queen. Couldn't even understand what was being said.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
Hellsing's ending theme "Shine" is by the now-defunct hair metal band Mr. Big.

Also, Bastard!! uses a lot of metal music references. Read the trivia section on the Encyclopedia's Bastard!! listing for more details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The second opening theme to Bleach also qualifies I think and some of the background music kinda sounds like industrial metal.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Also, Bastard!! uses a lot of metal music references. Read the trivia section on the Encyclopedia's Bastard!! listing for more details.

They missed one, Dia-Amon is obviously King Diamond.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1