• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox, Adult Swim Alumni Plan Saturday TV Block for Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
Zilan wrote:
I'm interested to see what animes fox will be showing.

You and I must have read different articles as nowhere on that post was there anything about FOX showing anime.

Shaking the good ol' 8 ball tells me that the block will consist of programs like "Family Guy" and "American Dad". The fact that FOX plans to show the block means that FOX will be promoting its own programing, and not anything that's currently exclusive to the CN.

Don't hold your breath over anime on FOX.

Hrmm the words Fox and animation on an ANIME site sort of give one the impression that it's something other than family guy and American dad trash.
That "trash" will no doubt do well for FOX and likely swamp whatever is on Adult Swim that night in the ratings. I can't blame FOX for wanting to get back into the Saturday night game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yeah, considering that Adult Swim is collabing against their own timeslot... well, yeah. Says what they think of Saturday night Adult Swim. I can't blame 'em though. This is too big an opportunity for the folks at William Street to pass up.

From the article:

Quote:
Update: Reworded headline to note that Nick Weidenfeld is no longer at Adult Swim.

Williams Street has nothing to do with this. Just alums.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
this is probably me being way to optimistic but does anyone think that maybe some new dubs that people have been highly anticipating (cough inuyasha final act cough cough tiger and bunny cough) or FMA might make it into the block.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it's Fox. It's a horrible station all around. It would be nice though if this is a result of Bandai's issues and it was going to be a Bandai block of shows, but I'm not hopeful.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's Fox. It's a horrible station all around. It would be nice though if this is a result of Bandai's issues and it was going to be a Bandai block of shows, but I'm not hopeful.

he might put anime at the end of the block that AS should have gotten just to spite them. depending on how he left I could see it happen plus, he knows some anime is actually popular, and the rights to put it on the air are generally cheap so.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Seeing that this news is own ANIME News Network and they are currently airing Bleach, which is an ANIME, I leave open the idea that they actually might run some anime in this new slot.

This time slot wouldn't have been made if all that they were going to show was Family Guy or American Dad... shows that Fox already runs in abundance.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well for any anime on any other channel beside CN seem to fail after about year and why would AS went some other stuff at the same time slot it just dumb
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay, here's a question: Does FOX even care about anime without backing from Saban or 4Kids to even let one show have a half-hour slot? Seriously? At all?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
this is probably me being way to optimistic but does anyone think that maybe some new dubs that people have been highly anticipating (cough inuyasha final act cough cough tiger and bunny cough) or FMA might make it into the block.

"Fox is reaffirming its already sizable commitment to animated comedy. "
"The slate of animated shorts and series will run online and on-air, with four new animated series planned per season with the 2013 launch. "

Don't get your hopes up. This looks more like a proving ground for the FOX's next animated prime time shows.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I misread it, but where does it say Fox is running anime like everyone is saying? I could maybe kinda sorta get the idea if Adult Swim was this anime only block but it's not.

It's where they show old Fox cartoons and goofball cartoons that fit in line with Fox cartoons. Don't be shocked when this is a zero % anime block. The only thing they MIGHT show is Panty & Stocking (and I think there is a 1% chance of that so don't hold your breath) solely because it's 1) crass and foul enough to tonally fit in with TV-MA US cartoons and 2) it would fool the average person into thinking it wasn't anime and the only parts that look like anime could be taken as parodying or mocking anime.

GATSU wrote:
How ironic, considering everyone thinks Saturday morning toons are dead.

Everyone thinks Saturday morning toons are dead and Fox isn't making a Saturday morning cartoon block. Where is the irony?
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
good bye anime on adult swim, you will be missed.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
My guess is the same as a few others'.

It will be comedy shows to have a place to go for the people who don't like anime on saturdays. Even if william's street isn't directly involved, I'm sure they pushed the idea with the alumnis.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
I can see it as another place to air their shows when their primetime animated block is too full on Sundays. Since they want to air new shows but always have a problem of bumping a show off to air it. This block gives them a chance to expand.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The only thing they MIGHT show is Panty & Stocking (and I think there is a 1% chance of that so don't hold your breath) solely because it's 1) crass and foul enough to tonally fit in with TV-MA US cartoons and 2) it would fool the average person into thinking it wasn't anime and the only parts that look like anime could be taken as parodying or mocking anime.

I seriously doubt P&S could even muster a showing on Network TV past watershed hours. The transformation scenes alone would make the average CEO squick.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Aren't we talking about FOX CEOs?
I am sure they have a higher squick tolerance level than most users on this forum. Well that is assuming their higher tolerance level isn't limited to just shows like Family Guy and American Dad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3