• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Densha Otoko (jdrama)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Ok I think its offical my Otakuness has moved into watching Jp soaps but this one is so damn funny.
from wikipedia
Quote:
Densha Otoko
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Densha Otoko (電車男, lit. "Train Man") is the story of a Japanese geek who saves a beautiful woman (Office Lady look [OL]) from a groper on a train, and then chronicles his subsequent dates with the woman and requests help on the Japanese mega-BBS 2ch.

Densha Otoko started as a series of threads on 2ch, alleging to be a true story in progress. Its gripping drama led to a compilation in novel form, several comic book adaptions, and finally a movie released on June 2005 and a television series which is currently airing on FujiTV. Some attest to the truth of the story, such as the TV series producers who got in contact with Densha Otoko, but it is not proved that it was real from start to finish.

Just was really funny to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
oh yeah and the opening was animated by Gonzo and for the most part comes off as a tribute to Gainex's Daicon Video. and then even use the same song.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:39 am Reply with quote
The best thing for this semi-true story is the selfishless spirit of Internet communities, where people of all different background gather together, contributing their time and expertise to help a total stranger. A spirit long lost in most "mature" environments. While we see how he was bullied by his boss, by his clients, and even by a little girl, he and other different types of otaku* keep helping others, unlike the couple who spoiler[pretend sleeping on the train].

BTW, let's see how many types are there:
Densha Otoko: clearly a Gundam otaku, mixed with some NGE figures and a Keroro mask.
Hanshin Tiger baseball otaku
Dating-sim otaku
A pro programmer/hacker
An unfortunate housewife suffering domestic violence
Man just got laid off
A military otaku in camo combat fatigue
Bookstore employee (?)
Civil airline otaku (with ANA air hostess figurine set!!)
A high school student preparing exam
A boxing otaku
Real Densha Otoko (train otaku)
A strange couple...
Adult video lover (with sailor uniform collections...)
Laughing

cyrax777 wrote:
oh yeah and the opening was animated by Gonzo and for the most part comes off as a tribute to Gainex's Daicon Video. and then even use the same song.

Daicon set up many good examples for future animation. One of the newest one I can think of is the missile of Voices of a Distant Star.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting Densha Otoko with my BF and we both think that Densha is too pathetic. Lol. We still like the show though. I think my favorite character would have to be that hacker looking guy. He's awesome. Very Happy
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:08 am Reply with quote
the cosplay girl with her glasses collection, the shoe otaku atleast i think thats what the one guy is supposed to be.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote
The problem with the Densha Otoko story (I prefer the jdorama, BTW, the film isn't nearly as good an adaptation) is that, at heart, it is hypocritical.

On the one hand, it purports to show that "otaku are people, too" - but on the other hand, the point is repeatedly made that "otaku aren't part of society". To become acceptable to society, the protagonist must remake himself. Essentially, he must throw away his entire personality, in favour of a socially acceptable fake.

To my mind, the story reeks of bigotry.

Having said all that, it's still a very entertaining piece of fiction. But if you think there's even a smidgeon of "true story" in there, you should have your skepticism filter upgraded - either that, or quit subscribing to the Weekly World News.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote
Lum wrote:
I think my favorite character would have to be that hacker looking guy. He's awesome. Very Happy

You've just confirmed abunai's point. The hacker guy has won programming awards, meaning that he has a competitive expertise to support him and his computer room (probably with fiber optic cables), and his look and fashion style are above average -- it would be better if he could keep his hair away from his left eye, though. Furthermore, his quietness makes him "cool" as well.

The first episode portraited Densha Otoko as someone like K1 of Ah! My Goddess (TV) in its respective ep1. What I always wanted to say is that most "sociable" and otaku-hating people are much more selfish and cold-blooded when compared with different kinds of otaku. I wonder why.

abunai wrote:
BTW, the film isn't nearly as good an adaptation

So I can forget about the premiere at Taipei this Friday....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
BTW, the film isn't nearly as good an adaptation

So I can forget about the premiere at Taipei this Friday....

Well, that depends. I'd go, just to have a quiet laugh at all the girls who are bound to be there, swooning over their favourite heartthrob - unconvincingly cast as an otaku...

One reason why the jdorama is better is the casting is somewhat more, um, realistic.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

One reason why the jdorama is better is the casting is somewhat more, um, realistic.

- abunai
haven't seen the Movie but from the comparasion shots I've seen at D addtics. Densha Looks alot better in the J Drama. He actly looks like a nerd. They did a really good job with the music to ie the Star Wars Imperial March for that one total Bitch of a Office Ladys theme.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Densha Looks alot better in the J Drama. He actly looks like a nerd.

Precisely my point.

When they make an American version of this story (and mark my words, they will), they'll probably cast somebody Leonardo di Caprio-ish, for the same reasons. Gawd, I just had a nasty flashback to the American travesty of Shall We Dance? Mad

This story really isn't about portraying the otaku as a real person with real needs and real emotions - it's about showing him off, like a strange animal in a zoo... and then showing that it is possible to rise out of this "handicap" and become "normal".

Gee, what a relief that must be to all the poor otaku.

- abunai
Lum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
On the one hand, it purports to show that "otaku are people, too" - but on the other hand, the point is repeatedly made that "otaku aren't part of society". To become acceptable to society, the protagonist must remake himself. Essentially, he must throw away his entire personality, in favour of a socially acceptable fake.

That's one thing that I really don't like about the show. I told my bf that he probably won't like the ending but I'm not going to tell him why. Honestly, the only thing I think he would really need to work on is his.. patheticness. I mean come on, it's not /that/ hard to call a girl. Getting a change in style and stuff I don't think hurts either. What bothers me is the fact that he hides his true interests from the girl he likes.

As for the hacker guy, I just have a programmer guy fetish. Razz I even like Shirase from BPS. Lol.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The OP animation "月面兎兵器ミーナ" (modeled after Daicon), also a popular anime title within the J-drama (like Kujibiki Unbalance to Genshiken), will probably be animated in near future. Not only there were girls cosplaying the main character, there's a website with character setting information and episode guide up to ep7.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The OP animation "月面兎兵器ミーナ" (modeled after Daicon), also a popular anime title within the J-drama (like Kujibiki Unbalance to Genshiken), will probably be animated in near future. Not only there were girls cosplaying the main character, there's a website with character setting information and episode guide up to ep7.
I've seen dojins scans of her floating around already.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Umm... I don't think so. Look at the "screencaps" for each of the episodes, and you'll see they're all (so far as I can determine) taken from the Densha Otoko jdorama insert animation.

I think that site (a subsite of the Densha Otoko site) is an elaborate fiction.

But hey, I'd be thrilled to see it animated, so I hope I'm wrong.

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Umm... I don't think so. Look at the "screencaps" for each of the episodes, and you'll see they're all (so far as I can determine) taken from the Densha Otoko jdorama insert animation.

I think that site (a subsite of the Densha Otoko site) is an elaborate fiction.

That episode guide is and always has been a make-believe. It would only be animated if the demand is high enough. Old fans of Daicon might want to treasure this new incarnation, while newer generations want her just because she's a cute and powerful bunny girl.

abunai wrote:
But hey, I'd be thrilled to see it animated, so I hope I'm wrong.

See my point? Wink

Speaking of fake episode guides: rumors of a Mahou Shoujo Sentai consisting five well-respected Chinese female deities...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2