• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The order of GitS?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kardea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Sweet and simple: What is correct order of the Ghost In The Shell 'world?' Is it Movie One, SAC, Innocence, 2nd Gig? I'm dyin' here! Thanks in advance for any help. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
1st movie

INNOCENCE

--------------------

Series is in a different universe

STAND ALONE COMPLEX

STAND ALONE COMPLEX 2ND GIG

I think that's all *yay*
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
As for as I know, the TV series and the movies take place in different universes. That is while the TV series is based in the world of the movies/manga, they have no connection to each other in plot.

But I could be wrong.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
It was always my understanding that the order was:

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/2nd Gig

Ghost in the Shell: Innocense

The reason I say this is because GITS takes place in 2029, GITS: SAC takes place in 2030-31, and GITS: Innocense takes place in 2032.

While the argument CAN be made that SAC is a different universe, the timeline of each GITS story certainly leaves room for them to be all in one continuity.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
umm... no, not really, mainly because of the ending of GITS

... huh?
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
umm... no, not really, mainly because of the ending of GITS

... huh?

Not sure I understood what you meant but I'll try to elaborate slightly.

While I do get that GITS 2 makes reference to the Major having "recently" gone into the net/merging with the Puppetmaster, I also know that 2032 (the date of GITS 2) isn't exactly RECENT compared with 2029 (the date of GITS 1). So, either they got their dates wrong, or the Major returned to Section 9 for awhile before diving back into the net.

If you think that the movies and TV series are separate universes then you have to concede that they got the dates wrong and that GITS 2 actually takes place at the same time as GITS: SAC. But, on the other hand, if you believe they are all in the same universe then the dates are all correct.

By the way, all the dates were gotten from a combination of watching the various incarnations carefully, reading the DVD cases, and researching within ANN and the internet.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:

While I do get that GITS 2 makes reference to the Major having "recently" gone into the net/merging with the Puppetmaster, I also know that 2032 (the date of GITS 2) isn't exactly RECENT compared with 2029 (the date of GITS 1). So, either they got their dates wrong, or the Major returned to Section 9 for awhile before diving back into the net.

Isn't the reason why they brought that back up was because BATOU was acting up?

Okay, now I'm just kinda confused now
ChurchofVirus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
As said before it goes GitS and GitS 2.

Stand Alone Complex is more or less an alternative story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The two seasons of Stand Alone Complex are completely independent from the films, it's an alternate retelling. It doesn't take place between them or after them because she'd never come back to Section 9 because as Batoh and Ishkowa point out she's basically a wanted criminal they'd just take her apart to see how she worked if she returned. It also doesn't take place before them because there would be some inconsistancies with their technology like why they all can't go invisable all of a sudden and where are the Tachikomas.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that puts everything back in order...

man, I got confused there o_O
kacper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
While the argument CAN be made that SAC is a different universe, the timeline of each GITS story certainly leaves room for them to be all in one continuity.

From what I remember there was an interview where it was stated that they are different universes.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The television series take place in a universe apart from the movies. The confusion lies with the chronology used by the series and the movies.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The two seasons of Stand Alone Complex are completely independent from the films, it's an alternate retelling. It doesn't take place between them or after them because she'd never come back to Section 9 because as Batoh and Ishkowa point out she's basically a wanted criminal they'd just take her apart to see how she worked if she returned. It also doesn't take place before them because there would be some inconsistancies with their technology like why they all can't go invisable all of a sudden and where are the Tachikomas.

Uh, so the Major is basically a wanted criminal in GiTS Innocence and that's why she's gone?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
You could say that... *the wanted part*

I mean, she knew a lot of classified stuff, so when you quit, you gotta give those memories back... for securty reasons I think
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
You could say that... *the wanted part*

I mean, she knew a lot of classified stuff, so when you quit, you gotta give those memories back... for securty reasons I think

On top of that, anyone who gets cybernetic augmentation through Section 9-- as Bateau and the Major have done to a great degree-- has to give up those augmentations on leaving. Somehow, though, I doubt this was handled by the 2nd movie (which I haven't seen).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1