• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
have u ever felt confused when watching anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon13888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
just post all the times u have ever felt confused because i don't won't to feel like the only one that has felt confused while watching some anime

[And to keep this from being a list thread, please post something about why you felt confused when watching. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get helped out with it if you specify. -Nagi]
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, quite a bit. Most especially when watching eva. It has the reputation of being THE quintessential mind-bending anime series.

Paranoia agent also had me scratching my head a bit, as did GitS2.

Besides those, however, I've had a good grasp and have followed the anime I watch pretty well.

BUt in answer to your question, no, it's not unusual for someone to get confused while watching anime. It happens sometimes, especially when you're new to anime and can't follow the story that well, or the way it is told visually (a friend of mine while watching Gundam SEED-starting from ep 1-kept having to have me clarify who was piloting which MS. he hadn't yet picked up on the visual indicators of who was in which suit).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Serial Experiments Lain and Betterman took more than one time through to grasp what the hell was going on but at least those two sorta explained things unlike Evangellion that one took some serious internet research. RahXephon was also somwhat confusing although not to the extent of EVA.
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, when I watched FLCL. Then I realized thats whats supposed to happen when you watch it.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
What confuses me is that I easily grasp shows like Lain or FLCL. To me things like that are in my "well duhh" catagory.

I also watch with a bit of an Anthropoligist's eye. When I'm around other anime watchers and I'm fasicnated by all the nuances of a show like Gasaraki (and I've encountered people who the "magic" part of that show IRL) and I see people wanting the fights of a show like DragonBall Z, I've been confused not by the Anime so much, but the reactions/taste of my fellow Anime watchers.

So yes, I've been confused when watching Anime but not in the way you probably meant.

All the Best,

Nani?
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
The only show I really had a hard time understanding was Eva. The first time I watched through it I was like 12 and I had no idea what was going on. I didn't get a chance to see it again till I was 17 and when I viewed it then I made a lot more sense. The thing is though, I have an awful memory. At the time I finish a series or an RPG I completely understand it, but as like 3 or 4 days go by I totally forget almost everything about it Confused. I couldn't tell you right now what the ending of something like Final Fantasy 8, though I remember it well.... the plot is kind of vague... I just remember ultmecia and time compression and that’s it :lol. Haha sorry for ranting but dose anyone else have this problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
When I watch FLCL, it doesn't matter how many times I watch it. The third time around, I understood more than during previous viewings, but some parts were still random, and I just couldn't connect. It's just hard to follow when they jump around the wierd parodies.
I missed episodes from GITS:SAC on [AS]'s runs, and following the case the characters were on was just really hard. A lot of the show is built on previous info, and missing episodes just doesn't help when I'm trying to connect bits of information. Aside from being confused, I found certain episodes really boring when a bunch of people talk about something I eveidently missed. If there's a chase or some action scene going on, I can understand for the time being that person A is going after person B, but that's as far as catching random episodes goes.
Paranoia Agent: That's just a whole new story. It was episode four or something and I said to myself, Yes! I finally get what this show is about. But that came apart pretty soon. I've heard it'll all come together in the end, so I'll just have to wait.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What confuses me is that I easily grasp shows like Lain or FLCL. To me things like that are in my "well duhh" catagory.

I had no trouble understanding FLCL the first time around either. It explained things pretty good if you can weed out the plot from the craziness which was easy for me. I also understood what went on in Lain a lot better after taking a few computing courses in the certificate I was going for in college "Web Design and Maintainance."
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I think its safe to say that both Lain and Eva had some fairly, shall we say, interperative parts. Many a forum has seen arguments over the ending of Eva....
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
...which we'll soon see here with the inevitable influx of new confused members after they've seen it on CN's Adult Swim.
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
My recent confusion, hmm.....GITS SAC last volume
spoiler[No idea why the government decided only to blow the major's head off - just for a show? Besides, what a convinence for a Tachikoma getting an anti-tank shell from an old man looks like having Parkinson.]

Anyway, back to anime confusion:

To me, the problem is that 'some' recent animes went overboard to pretend having created a deep story. If an entertainment needs one to struggle through, it is no more fun to most people. Anime is like a movie which shouldn't act like a chess - not many people enjoy playing chess; otherwise, they should have a dedicated chess channel on TV instead of a sport network (not to mention an anime network).

An anime pretending to be a modern arts in a museum should expect how the ticket sales will go.

I don't mind philosophical elements in movies or animes as long as they are not presented in a way which is too confusing. Sucessfully conveying a message to an audience totally depends on the technique of story telling. Even some mathematicians can present a difficult but elegant concept like the Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem in an easy way for ordinary people to comprehend.

In comparison:
Perfect Blue
Quite good - successfully leading a viewer into Mima's halluciantion, straight forward and no symbolisms. A viewer joins Mima, frequently wondering whether an image is real or halluciantion.

Millenium Actress
Not bad - easy for one to appreciate the arts of showing how one person is totally abosrbed in another person's memory.

Paranoia Agent
Not that good to me - failed to lead a viewer into a similar state of paranoia as those victims experienced. In Perfect Blue, the hallucination effect goes in parallel between Mima and a viewer. However, it is not the case in Paranoia Agent. In earily episodes of Paranoia Agent, the experience of those victims is not an illusion to a viewer although it is actually an illusion careated by the director. The main perpose is to intentionally fools or gives a false perception to a viewer that the show is a detective story. This not so elegant effort is simply to pave a way for a plot twists at the end. Besides, Paranoia Agent throws in quite a number of symbolisms which in my opinion, not many people are insterested in struggling to decode them.

Anyway the progress from Perfect Blue to Paranoia Agent reminds me the failure in the end of the Matrix series.

Just an opinion.
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I really haven't gotten very confused while watching an anime unless it was with someone who hadn't seen it before. I recently watched the first Boogiepop Phantom video with my stepdad and every few minutes he would ask a few questions. I usually don't mind this but since I hadn't watched it in a while I truly couldn't remember. So I would answer him the best I could and then something would happen to counter that. That really confused the heck out of me. And I also got a bit lost while watching the first episode of the Final Fantasy series on digital cable... Not really confused, but a bit... Lost. But that might just be because I had only seen one episode.
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I also tend not to become confused when watching anime. As an animator myself and a cinema major in undergrad, I've studied and still study the visual mediums actively. Hidden symbolism, character developments, cinemaphotography, etc are there just waiting to be discovered. As such, I find I can unearth the hidden meanings of found in most animes. This doesn't mean there aren't certain animes I don't enjoy due to their narrative structure and/or style.

Case in point, Lain, I watched the entire series twice from beginning to end and took notes on characters and development. However, at the end of the viewings I realized the style and characters were ones I personally did not care for. It also didn't help that IMO the character designs were ugly.

So in sum, generally I am rarely if ever confused by anime, just at times I realize I am not the target audience and/or I don't appreciate certain elements the director, creator, and staff tried to convey.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
When watching Vandread, I wasn't totally sure if Buzam A. "B.C." Calessa was actually a man or still a woman from that episode in the second stage.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
B.C. was just a man disguised as a woman. He just got his body changed to where he LOOKED like a female. There, hope that clears it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2