• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucard27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Since no store near me is carrying any Trigun, Initial D, Hellsing, RahXehpon, OR the digitally restored Vampire Hunter D, I'm in need of recommendations for quality anime.

Anime that have been scratched off my list since day 1 are any and all DragonBall series, and I also don't like Escaflowne too much.

I've heard a lot of good things about GetBackers from my girlfriend, and I've also heard good stuff about Chrono Crusade. Another series I've looked at is Gunslinger Girl, but after reading the reviews for it here, I dunno what to think.

Could somebody recommend any anime for me?
Himeno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think you would probably like Samurai Champloo. <--I think. I love the Getbackers & Chrono Crusade. Chro. Crusade have a lot of drama. Hmmm....You seem to like more action anime so umm... Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, & Rurouni Kenshin. What type of anime do you like to watch??
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd recomend:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-A secretive cyborg unit solves various digital and cybernetic crimes.

Elfen Lied-Definitely not family friendly as it's full of extreme violence and nudity but the storyline and characters are excellent. Lucy, a sadistic test subject escapes from a facility in a bloody rampage, however she takes a severe blow to the head and washes up on shore with a split and completely opposite personallity. She is found by two college students who take her in.

Scrapped Princess-From birth Pacifica Casul has been prophesized to destroy the world and by order of the church of Mouser was executed shortly after birth...or so they thought. She survived and is now a fugative protected by her two siblings. However with the whole country against them where can they go?

Planetes-A crew of astronauts labeled "Half Section" by their co-workers deal with the very real problem of space launch and satelite debris.

Tenjho TengeSouichiro and Bob move to a new school with the sole desire to take it over and rule the other students. There's only one problem the shool is founded by a group of skilled martial-artists and they soom find themselves outclassed. Defeated they join the Jouken club to train, run by the Natsumi sisters. However, now the council has it out for them all.

I also sujest Gunslinger Girl despite what you may have read in the review I find it really good so far. spoiler[However, I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be one of those "build up the characters and then kill them off" series.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
If your looking for action series I suggest these:

Hunter X Hunter: A kid named Gon Freaks is looking for his dad but the plot grows much more than that and gets more action-oriented.

Yu Yu Hakusho the Ghost files: This has the same manga creator/artist as Hunter X Hunter. Its full of adventure and action, rather short though compared to Hunter x Hunter.

Saiyuki: A rouge monk and his group of friends are trying to save the world but they have certain issues that get in the way. If you like this try to watch the sequel to it Saiyuki reloaded and Gunbound.

Full Metal Alchemist: This is an excellent fantasy anime series. Watch a few episodes if you don't like it (which I doubt) skip it then.

Inuyasha: Despite its faults, its ok to good. Its about a half demon named Inuyasha who lives in the Warring States Era. This fantasy/action anime is full of demons, monsters, etc.

Gantz: Its very gorey/graphic like Elfen Lied. This sci-fi/horror anime series is not for the faint of the heart hehe.

Bleach: Its a little silmar to the settings of YYH. A young man named Ichigo can see ghosts and other supernatural entitles. This series is full of action, sometimes comedy, and lots of fighting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alucard27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I didn't list my anime collection because I'd be here all night tell you what I have, but I guess for you kind folks' knowledge, I'll list what I have.

-Full Metal Panic!, Evangelion, FLCL, and the Samurai X OVA are my completed series

-I have four DVD volumes each of Witch Hunter Robin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo and Trigun

-I have 3 volumes of Initial D

-I have 2 volumes of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, and RahXephon

-My anime movies are End of EVA, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Akira, Samurai X: The Motion Picture, the 2nd Inuyasha movie, and The Animatrix

-I have watched Rurouni Kenshin before and absolutely adored it, I'm just building up my funds so I can get the each arc in a boxed set.

-Inuyasha is too long and not enough episodes come out per disc to warrant a purchase unless you sell them to me for about 5 or 10 bucks each. Also, storyline suffers fom DBZ syndrome (too drawn out, never given a sense of closure)

-I have my doubts about Tenjho Tenge because it sounds a lot like DragonBall series and I'm afraid that it'll only appeal to me because of the fanservice from the Natsume sisters. I'm also worried about it having the aforementioned DBZ syndrome.

Hopefully that gives you kind people an idea of the anime I like
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have my doubts about Tenjho Tenge because it sounds a lot like DragonBall series and I'm afraid that it'll only appeal to me because of the fanservice from the Natsume sisters. I'm also worried about it having the aforementioned DBZ syndrome.

Well it's a martial-arts anime but it's only 24 episodes so I highly doubt it'll drag like DBZ does with it's 200+. I've only seen the first volume myself and despite the fan service there is an interesting story underneath and also character development(Even in the first four episodes.) So I'd say it's got promise if you ask me.
SK DarkDragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, some of my favorites are "Saiyuki," "Yu Yu Hakusho," and "Cromartie High School." Saiyuki is action/fantasy, but I'd reccomend just plain "Saiyuki" and not Saiyuki Reload, since I don't think the sequel was done as well. YuYu Hakusho is a good action show, and Cromartie High School is a pretty out-there comedy.

~SK
Alucard27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
it's not so much that there is no anime around here (I live north of Boston, large Asian population) so much as it's nobody, not even Suncoast (dare I say it) not having any of the anime I wanna finish, namely, Trigun, RahXephon, and Witch Hunter Robin
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
That's where the internet, a credit card, and DeepDiscountDVD.com come in handy I suppose. I do most of my DVD buying online.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Bleach is good, although later on it does suffer from DBZ syndrome. . .not exactly, but you see fights where it's something like:

Villain: "hahahaha i am very powerful you can never defeat me"
Hero: "Oh yeah well i have done much training and am very strong as well"
Villain: "too bad because no matter how strong you are you can never defeat my true power"
Hero: "yes but my spirit power is really strong and i know i can win"

I'm exaggerating, the lines aren't this cheesy.

Berserk seems to have plenty of action and violence, and Texhnolyze is part of a balanced breakfast of violence/despair/psychologically disturbing material. I'll throw in a vote for Scrapped Princess as well (good fantasy plus mecha-ish battles on the Evangelion/RahXephon level), but most of my stuff is of the cute/romantic variety, and that doesn't seem to match your tastes.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
grrr i dotn know why i always reply to these "suggestion" threads, but basically all the animes listed are great. but we hve only a vague idea of what you like seeing you dont give us a genre. and... i dont really like tenjo tenge... it goes against my concept of "hero" =(
Warrior of Legend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, not that everyone else hasn't posted these already, but some great ones to check out:

Samurai X-Tells the story of Himura Kenshin's childhood years all the way to the end of Bakumatsu period. Probably will be easier to understand and also more enjoyable if you watch the Rurouni Kenshin series first. However, it has spectacular fight scenes, good animation, and good character design.

Rurouni Kenshin-Basically a continuation of Samurai X's story, but with different animation. It would probably be wise to watch this series before you watch Samurai X.

Full Metal Alchemist-I've only seen about 4-5 episodes of this series, but I can already tell that it's likely the best anime I've ever seen.

Guess that's it.... btw... first post here.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Read or Die might be worth looking into. Action, humor, it's a mix of a lot of things. It's about a group of girls who work sort of as police. They can manipulate paper. This is a really grabbing series, but it isn't magical girl, in case I gave the wrong impression. Also check out Cookie's List for a few more genre recommendations. RuroKen and HxH are longer series, and the latter hasn't been liscenced in Region 1. I personally like to stick to shorter series, and Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist have a mix of many things. Have you considered checking out Evangelion?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Well if he wants he can save his cash and watch it on CN's Adult Swim in a few months.
Alucard27

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Already got Evangelion, I bought the whole thing a year ago, and I recently finished up Samurai X (OVA).

I have a problem with the credit card thing: I don't have one since I'm not 18 yet, lol. I also don't wanna load down my parents' credit cards, and I don't wanna impose myself on my girlfriend's debit card, so I'm in a tight spot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2