• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Your Favorite Old School Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I was wandering what everbodies favorite old school anime was. My two favorites are Robotech, and Black Lion. I like these two because I like the story line and the action especially in Robotech. What's yours?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Lets see there's:

Bubblegum Crisis- Four ladies kickin' a** in powered suits in a future world where bio-organic machines run amok. What more can I ask for?

Iria: Zeiram the Annimation-I first saw this back on the Sci Fi Channel when they used to air anime scared the crap out of me at the time. Bought it a year ago and loved it.

Mobile Suit Gundam- The first of many good shows in the franchise and the spark that lit the flame of the mecha genre of anime.

3X3 Eyes- Has a very good storyline as well as great characters.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Can Escaflowne be considered oldschool?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it depends on your age. I grew up in the early 80s so anything obviously 80s or older is "Old School" to me.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
[No lists. -Nagi] In that case, I'll try again.

I'll have to go with Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Lupin III. Among the older sci-fi shows that I've seen all or part of, which include Space Battleship Yamato and Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross is clearly the best. The characters and story drew me in from the very beginning and never let go. Lupin III seems to be a franchise that doesn't get much respect as it deserves. Lupin III is very formulaic. "Oooh, treasure. Lupin & pals hunt for treasure. Oh no it's Zenigata! Damn, Fujiko sold us out again, etc, etc." The important thing about Lupin III, though, isn't the destination, but the journey. Every episode/movie takes you from roughly the same starting point to the same ending point, but it takes a completely different route every time.

Last edited by one3rd on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I suppose it depends on your age. I grew up in the early 80s so anything obviously 80s or older is "Old School" to me.

Well I didn't grow up with these at all actually, is there something typical about these that they can be billed as old-school? Just wondering that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
^Maybe will help.

Quote:

Old School-
Anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect. Can be used to refer to music, clothing, language, or anything really.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Wufei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
When I was growing up there was Speed Racer, Star Blazers, Tranzor Z, Grandizer, Robo Tech, Voltron: Defenders of the Universe, and one about three space knights protecting a princess in outer space. But my favorite one that has a nice old school look to it is New Dominion Tank Police.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
[No lists. -Nagi]
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:14 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I'll have to go with Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Lupin III.

Isn't that the sequel movie to Robotech: Marcross Saga? That's Robotech's entire name.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
No, Super Dimension Fortress Macross is the source material for Robotech: Macross Saga. Robotech was made up of three completely unrelated shows that were to some degree hacked, spliced, and re-written and presented in three "sagas."

Last edited by one3rd on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote
I knew that it was the Marcross Saga that caught my eye.
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hmm...

Tiger Mask:
The show that proved to me, that "Cartoons" as I saw them back then, can be extremely brutal (for a 6 year old) and have a deep story to them. I`ll admit, that maybe I was a tad too young for that show (meaning, I didn't grasped it fully) but now that I rememeber certain episodes I am starting to realise that even now it woudl be really a good series, if it wasn`t for the old animation style.

Yattaman:
Man, did that show felt perverted to me when I was younger. It was a comedy about 2 siblings, a brother and a sister, who disguised as super heroes fought the "dreaded" Drombo band. It was full of lame gags, partial nudity, a lot of teasing and irrational plots but shoot me in the face if it wasnt funny as hell. Wish I could get it somewhere.
snake102

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
I favorite will have to be Mobile Suit Gundam since it is the only old school anime I saw.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed Ashita no Joe... It's kinda like... If Rocky was a jerk. Unfortunately, I only have 3 episodes, and can't find more :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3