• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
English Text in FMA

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
If you have Fullmetal Alchemist on DVD, or seen the show on Adult Swim, you've probably noticed that whenever someone looks at a piece of paper or a book the text written on the pages is always written in English. Well, now that I have the first two DVDs, I can actually pause the screen and read the text.

I won't post the various texts because there are several, and the sections are a few paragraphs each in length. Also, if you have read Fuhrer King Bradley's decree about Edward at the end of the second DVD, you'll immediately realize that it has NOTHING to do with anything the story! Very Happy

My question, for those of you who have also taken the time to pause and read the texts, is WHERE do you think these texts came from? To read a few of them, they almost seem like they came from a similar source, like different pages in the same book, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read much of the text, but I read enough to see that Edward Elric was deemed by Fuhrer King Bradley to be the "Full Metal Alchemist"

Not "Fullmetal" Alchemist-- "Full Metal" Alchemist.

This alone has to be the greatest continuity error in the series. It's a glaring error.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Tetsujin wrote:
I haven't read much of the text, but I read enough to see that Edward Elric was deemed by Fuhrer King Bradley to be the "Full Metal Alchemist"

This alone has to be the greatest continuity error in the series. It's a glaring error.

Are you correcting me or the anime? If me, why did you decide to wait 3 months to nitpick? If the anime, well, I wouldn't call that the GREATEST continuity error in the series. The greatest continuity error in my mind was Barry the Chopper. Why would he spoiler[try to convince Al that Al was made from fake memories? What would he possibly gain from that? And why wouldn't Al just realize that IF that were true, then Number 66's memories of being Barry the Chopper were fake, too, and tell him to go screw himself!]
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
He was trying to confuse AL so he can find his blood pact. AL was kicking his butt, so he tried to trick him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
final sage of fantas wrote:
He was trying to confuse AL so he can find his blood pact. AL was kicking his butt, so he tried to trick him.

True, but what irritated me was that Al actually fell for it, granted not until spoiler[Tucker mentioned that he could give Nina's memories to a living doll.]
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The thing that stinks is I missed the episode where Edspoiler[steps into the red stuff.] My freind said it was really good. Does anyone have pictures of it, I think it was episode 23 or 24?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Tetsujin wrote:

Are you correcting me or the anime? If me, why did you decide to wait 3 months to nitpick? If the anime, well, I wouldn't call that the GREATEST continuity error in the series. The greatest continuity error in my mind was Barry the Chopper. Why would he spoiler[try to convince Al that Al was made from fake memories? What would he possibly gain from that? And why wouldn't Al just realize that IF that were true, then Number 66's memories of being Barry the Chopper were fake, too, and tell him to go screw himself!]

It's a basic psychological attack. Break down the mind, and the body is easier to beat.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that Al is just a naive, impressionable, and gullible kid. So is Ed, but this was Al's turn.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, now that everyone has successfully hijacked the thread, can anyone tell me where the English Text in FMA comes from, or did the animators just make all of it up themselves? Very Happy
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Totalgeek, I just registered about 3 weeks ago. There's no way I was waiting 3 months to make a comment just to nitpick.

In any case, I was commenting on the series, not your post. Go back to the scene where Ed's certificate is on screen, and the name "Full Metal Alchemist" is clearly visible. I only saw it on Adult Swim, without benefit of a DVD player, and even I noticed this.

Also, some subtitles present in the series itself show different spellings for some names. ANN itself shows Lieutenant Hawkeye's first name as being Riza, yet the FMA episode which introduces us to her shows her first name spelled as "Liza."

I think your concern is what the text says in those scenes where documents are shown for several seconds. I mentioned Ed's state alchemist name because it appeared on one such document.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Of course, we have to remember that since the shows are intended for Japanese audiences, the creators don't really intend for the text to be read very closely. All they do is make text in romaji to show that it is in English, just for the sake of showing "look, it's in English. kewl." I remember that decree, now that you mention it. . .it's some scientific or historical thing about the British museum or something like that. One other instance of English text in FMA that I can recall is "I go to Tucker's place." It's somewhere between eps 42-49. The Japanese would be something like

ターカーの所へ行く

"Tucker (or "Taakaa") no tokoro e iku" (Tucker) / no= 's (more or less) / / tokoro=location, place / e=to / iku=go,

so the onscreen text is more of a literal/translation than an effort to put accurate English on the screen. Honestly, this sort of thing is a special treat for us English=speaking viewers. . .in Angelic Layer (and numerous other shows), there are large amounts of gibberish romaji text, just for the sake of conveying "this document is in English." Even better, in Ichigo 100%, episode 9, some characters see a movie called "Old of the Kings," but if you look closely at the end credits, they are the end credits from Star Wars Episode 4--you can see names like George Lucas, John Williams, Mark Hamill, etc.

And Last Exile has all its onscreen text in Greek-esque letters. It's all in the name of looking "exotic". . .

P.S. sorry for the minor spoiler, but I figured it wasn't very specific.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, some subtitles present in the series itself show different spellings for some names. ANN itself shows Lieutenant Hawkeye's first name as being Riza, yet the FMA episode which introduces us to her shows her first name spelled as "Liza."

As you may already know, the Japanese dont have a separate sound for L or R, but instead have something which I never remember how is called in english, but through translation from polish it would be like a *hit R* a sound which is way between the western R and L sounds. The name of the character, written with the hit R kana, may mean Liza or Riza, and I am guessing the makers of the subtitles decided that the Japanese made Liza, others decided that they meant Riza. Simple as that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that L/R thing. Some of the later fansub episodes have "Winly" instead of "Winry," but as Arkard says, there's no real difference in the sounds, so either interpretation is valid in the lack of an official source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1