• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS:SAC DVD's

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at GITS:SAC online and noticed that the special editions come with extra discs with the episodes in DTS:5.1.

So, what is DTS?

And does anyone know if the box that comes with vol. 7 will fit all the special editions cases in it or is it a brick? Or Are the cases for the SE and non-SE the same?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
DTS

As for the cases and the tin that will come with Vol.7. All of the SE cases are the same keep case as the regular edition, only they have an extra disc holder on the inside. It will fit them all just like you'd expect any tin to Wink.

Looks cool, neh? Now I just need to get the SEs of Vol.2 and up Anime dazed.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
You don't know what DTS? That's what wikipedia is for. But anybody that buys dvd regular should probably already know what DTS, 5.1 or 2 channell audio is.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Looks cool, neh? Now I just need to get the SEs of Vol.2 and up Anime dazed.

Yeah, It does, and I dont have any of the DVDs yet. But is it worth it to get the SE for the DTS, or is the disc already in the regular dvds?
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
It is worth it if your entertainment system has the 5.1 surround sound system.

If you want to conserve money and still get the series, just get the regular version.

I really like that tin box. Only I don't know if it is going to fit on my DVD shelf...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
SuperOnizuka wrote:
It is worth it if your entertainment system has the 5.1 surround sound system.

And if it has a DTS decoder and if your amplifier and speakers are up to showing the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 and if you don't end up with one of the older pressings of the volume 1 special edition that had a serious problem with the left rear channel...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Yeah, It does, and I don't have any of the DVDs yet. But is it worth it to get the SE for the DTS, or is the disc already in the regular dvds?

Well, like others have said, if you have a surround sound system that supports DTS audio, which usually requires an additional purchase of an optical cable, and you enjoy a good amount of sound effects and loud music, then I'd recommend the Special Editions.

The regulars will save you $5-10 and you won't miss any of the extra features on the DVDs (like seiyuu and crew interviews), so it's up to you if you think the extra audio and sometimes worthwhile items (such as OSTs) are worth it or not.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The standard editions have DD 5.1, so you can still here the full mix with them. I've been buying the DTS editions, then again i'm using a Elite thanks 7.1 with 6 floor standing Energy c5/c9 speakers setup. There is still only a slight quality difference between the two DVDs. The two CDs and the two shirts are also a nice factor to consider.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
Yeah, It does, and I don't have any of the DVDs yet. But is it worth it to get the SE for the DTS, or is the disc already in the regular dvds?

Well, like others have said, if you have a surround sound system that supports DTS audio, which usually requires an additional purchase of an optical cable, and you enjoy a good amount of sound effects and loud music, then I'd recommend the Special Editions.

The regulars will save you $5-10 and you won't miss any of the extra features on the DVDs (like seiyuu and crew interviews), so it's up to you if you think the extra audio and sometimes worthwhile items (such as OSTs) are worth it or not.

I don't even think I have an "optical cable". (hehe, I dont even know what it is, all I know is I have 5.1 audio)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
I don't even think I have an "optical cable". (hehe, I don't even know what it is, all I know is I have 5.1 audio)

An optical cable is what most surround systems need to decode the DTS signal from a DVD. If your system is capable of detecting DTS, there should be a label somewhere on the system's casing frame, like when it says Dolby Digital, Digital Cinema Sound, or whatever.

Like this, but a lot smaller and as in imprint on the casing itself:

The optical cable plug should be somewhere on the back and clearly labled above its port. It sort of looks like a phone jack, but it's black and has a cover over it.

At any rate, even if you don't have DTS capabilities, your system should still be able to at least decode the Dolby Digital 5.1. It just won't be as loud as the DTS Razz.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:

I don't even think I have an "optical cable". (hehe, I don't even know what it is, all I know is I have 5.1 audio)

Digital audio signals can be carried on a standard A/V cable lines as well. Most DVD players will have both outputs for 5.1 audio although the PS2 and Xbox only have optical outs. All my optical ins are in use, so I resorted using an old audio cable for my LD/DVD DVL909 which plays DD (AC3) just fine.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey!!! whatdya know? My DVD player is DTS capable...now I guess I'll look into the optical cable and what not.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I bought the regular editions except for the two SEs that came with T-shirts. As for my surround sound system it lists both Dolby and DTS as menu options that you can turn on an off but there's no sound when I play the DTS track. So I need one of those optical cable things then? Where does it plug into once it goes out of my DVD player?

Also is there a disc enchange program in place because my single disc volume 2 is the DTS disc and not the regular DD 5.1 and I lost the recipt. Also does anyone have a link where I can exchange my recently bought Innocence DVD for the one with the better subs? Man the GITS DVD line must be cursed or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1