• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Trinity Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
Ugh. FUNimation used to be a name I associated with quality titles. Now it's all just Gonzo crap.

What's wrong with Trinity Blood and speed grapher?

Just a Gonzo hater.

biliano wrote:
The Gonzo trifecta is now complete! Very Happy

Pepperidge wrote:
Ugh. FUNimation used to be a name I associated with quality titles. Now it's all just Gonzo crap.

Sorry, dude, you gonna have to explain this to us. Most of Gonzo's titles are pretty good.

Depend on what you call good. Most of their title are average to above average with really nice animation.

Samurai 7 - average
Burst Angel - Average
Peace Maker - average
Chrno Crusade - above average
GANTz - above average.

Anyways, expect all future Gonzo title to be Funi. At least it will be cheap at DDD, because Genoen title are really expensive and usualy 7 DVD for 26 episode series. Funimation use to be assocaited with crap due to their Dragon Ball Z's 3 DVD dubcrapular (everyone was hating on Funimation back then), but they gotten better ever since they license Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't know if Funi is still stingy with the episode count, but personally I would have like to see MB get it, they always put 26 series on 6 DVD and treat them very nicely.
Demaar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering how whoever licenses Blood Trinity is going to market it, so people don't get the two shows confused.

i'm more curious who they plan to market it to. it's not really an action show, more like the anime eqivalent of watching cement dry.
Indeedy. I'm a BIT of a Gonzo & vampire fanboy, and even I couldn't stand watching past episode 3. It's a pretty painful show. Seems to be a mixture of Hellsing with some fangirl flavour tossed in (kawaii bishie with glasses who's also a vampire but he acts all fun and cute when he's not being bad ass blah blah blah). I'm also usually accepting of fangirl aimed content, but the pain was intense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Gonzo do have their occasional misses, but overall they're a fine studio that knows how to push that never fails to deliver amazing visuals and has a weird preoccupation toward shows where the Catholic Church employs all sorts of crazy action heroes who shoot demons with a statue of the Virgin Mary in the background. Good times.

Vandread- above average
Hellsing-So very awesome.
Chrono Crusade-Average.
Samurai 7 -Great
GANTz -Terrific
Trinity Blood-More catholics and a guy who looks suspicously like Integra! But still quite good!
Real Bout High School-Might have been a good show if it could have figured out what to do with itself after the first disc.
Melty Lancer-Pointless, cliche-ridden, and lame. But at least the characters are likeable, which is more than I can say for...
Burst Angel-Sorry, but I can't stand this show. Just awful. Yet, by some miracle, still not as bad as-
Final Fantasy Unlimited-BURN IT.
Kaliedo Star- Aw, Gonzo, I can't stay mad at you when you make great stuff like this. Give Johnathan a fishie for me.
Gankutsuou-Insane. In a good way.
PeaceMaker Kurogane -A wonderful show that deserves more attention that it gets.
Last Exile-So very awesome in so many ways, it's like it split the awesome atom and caused an awesome nuclear reaction that could kill us all. With awesome.

FUNimation is pretty cool too.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
In case of IMO flooding, it best to get on to high land and listen to your local radio station. I have seen a handful of Gonzo like GateKeepers (TV and 21), Last Excel, Chrono Crusade, Vandread, Helsing, Final Fantasy U, and Blue Sub, and I think they are, most the most part, are very good, minus FF U. I haven't see Trinity Blood, but since there are so many mixxed views on it, I guess I have to take a look at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
Hellsing was awesome? Did you watch it all the way? Somewhere along the way the budget must have run out and they farmed it out to a Korean studio that obviously wasn't paid enough. The script writer probably followed swiftly, as Alucard started acting totally out-of-character. At the end, the qualitiy seen before resurfaces briefly, but all to late.

I could stomach Last Exile because of the well-designed, mecha, characters and costumes. I still find the CG-2D blend was very jarring and in some of the first episodes Gonzo had a hard time keeping characters on-model. Lavie in particular seemed to switch from 'proper' to 'slightly SD' at the drop of a hat.

Don't people pay attention to this anymore nowadays or is it just flashy CG and an interesting setting that wins them over? In my opinion, the best looking show Gonzo did up to now, is Basilisk. Distinctive characters and good animation... and no sucky 3D to detract from the experience. It might be aimed very clearly at the Ninja Scroll crowd, but there might be hope yet if they keep this up.

Then again, Hellsing + Vash + obvious CG = Trinity Blood. Shake well and repeat until cool. This show was such an obvious cash-in it almost made me weep.
idrisfynn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Actually, the story was originally a series of novels written by Sunao Yoshida who died about a year ago. I saw TB serialized in The Sneaker magazine at least 4 years ago with illustrations by Thores Shibamoto. I don't know how well Gonzo adapted the material but I've heard really good things about the books. Here's to hoping that someone will translate them.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote
idrisfynn wrote:
Actually, the story was originally a series of novels written by Sunao Yoshida who died about a year ago.

I'm aware of the novels, but that didn't affect my impression of the TV-series. Recycling popular elements may work if it is all held together by a shred of originality, but no such luck here, I'm afraid.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
Then again, Hellsing + Vash + obvious CG = Trinity Blood. Shake well and repeat until cool. This show was such an obvious cash-in it almost made me weep.

That was my first impression of Trinity Blood, too... then I had to realize that even a combination of these elements wasn't enough to make Trinity Blood 'cool' in any way. Despite the slick character designs (bishounen galore! *yawn*), the popular 'cool' elements in the plot (vampires! Vatican! post-apocalyptic world! *yawn*) and the occasional bit of nice animation, the series is still painfully mediocre. Oh, it tries to be cool, it tries really hard, but something is missing - maybe it's overall good animation (episode two was almost embarrassing); or maybe it's originality that would make it interesting, instead of just a pile of been-there-seen-all elements; or maybe it's good screenwriting... or maybe all of these. As a Hungarian, I had great fun watching episodes 3-4, but that was all. I stopped watching the series after ep 5.

As for Gonzo's other anime... the biggest problem with those I've seen was bad writing. For example, I loved Gankutsuou -its first half is easily the most awesome anime I've ever seen- but in episode 18, the so far great writing just... flipped, creating one of the biggest, most jarring plot holes I've ever seen, and the series never really recovered after that. It's still great, but sadly it's not the masterpiece it was shaping up to be. (The director had to fill the audience in on some of the quite vital information that was missing from the series in an interview... that says a lot. It went like, "oh, and we didn't show it in the series, but <the event in question> was a fatal blow for <pretty much the most important character>, too." My question: why in the hell didn't they mention this in the series instead of wasting a whole episode with pointless and over-the-top angst?! Also, why the hell couldn't it be 26 episodes? The series really needed one more episode to flesh things out.)

Then there's Last Exile... I really wanted to like that series, but in the end, it bored me to tears. I didn't even finish it. The story was kinda nice, but no matter how I tried, I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters. Samurai 7 was very ambitious but, like Trinity Blood, it remained mediocre and sometimes even ridiculous in the way it took itself so seriously. The last episode of Yukikaze is coming out sometime this summer - I can only hope they won't screw it up.

Last edited by mufurc on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering how whoever licenses Blood Trinity is going to market it, so people don't get the two shows confused.

i'm more curious who they plan to market it to. it's not really an action show, more like the anime eqivalent of watching cement dry.

This is a *very* female friendly show. The number of women I know watching it was very surprising at first.
dojikyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
Hellsing was made before the manga was even close to completion. 1st half = awesome, adaptation of manga. 2nd half = pure crap, not adaptation of manga. My opinions existed before I found out that the 2nd half was basically paid fanfiction.
Kamichu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo best studio from this season:
Basilisk: Best anime ninja/samurai all time. Great plot, awesome art, animation and music.
Speed Grapher: Amazing plot, characters and music. animation is bad.
Trinity Blood:Very nice show, amazing animation, great plot (after eps6), great characters.

My favorite show by gonzo are:

Kaleido Star: Best mahou shoujo all time.
Gankutsuou: Marvelously only show, awesome plot and art. (reseived best anime series 2004 in japan)
Sunabozu: FUNNY as never. Awesome characters, animation and sound.
Basilisk: My favorite anime samurai/ninja all time.
Saikano: Chamer, very sad.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
Hellsing was awesome? Did you watch it all the way? Somewhere along the way the budget must have run out and they farmed it out to a Korean studio that obviously wasn't paid enough. The script writer probably followed swiftly, as Alucard started acting totally out-of-character. At the end, the qualitiy seen before resurfaces briefly, but all to late.

Yeah, I saw the whole thing, but I still really liked it. I liked the atmosphere, I liked the characters, and I'm not the type who sits around nitpicking about tiny animation details (see also: your Last Exile comments below) to the point where it ruins a show for me. The first half is definatly better than the second, but the second isn't BAD-it's just not as good. And it's not really Gonzo's fault that the manga hadn't progressed.

Dejiko wrote:
I could stomach Last Exile because of the well-designed, mecha, characters and costumes. I still find the CG-2D blend was very jarring and in some of the first episodes Gonzo had a hard time keeping characters on-model. Lavie in particular seemed to switch from 'proper' to 'slightly SD' at the drop of a hat.

Don't people pay attention to this anymore nowadays or is it just flashy CG and an interesting setting that wins them over? In my opinion, the best looking show Gonzo did up to now, is Basilisk. Distinctive characters and good animation... and no sucky 3D to detract from the experience. It might be aimed very clearly at the Ninja Scroll crowd, but there might be hope yet if they keep this up.

You seem really preoccupied with how the shows LOOK. Have you noticed some of them have these newfangeled things called "stories," too? No matter how good or bad a show looks, it's the plot and characters that make it worth watching. A great plot can overcome a limited animation budget (Trigun, Evangelion) but all the money in the world can't overcome bad writing and characters (FFU, Burst Angel.) So to answer your question, flashy CG and an interesting setting aren't what's "winning people over-" none of them matter if you don't have a good story to tell. Kaleido Star, for example, is pretty much deviod of flashy CG, but it's still one of the best shows Gonzo's ever done.

Anyway, I haven't seen Baselisk so I have no idea as to its quality. I'll probably rent it when the DVD's arrive.
idrisfynn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I can pick apart the flaws of most series with the best of them, but I primarily watch animation to find what I enjoy in each one not what I dislike. If I want to dislike something I'll read the newspaper. Some shows have alot more problems than bad CGI integration, so that's not going to kill my interest. The poor animators have budgets and deadlines just like anyone and I allow for problems in shows due to that. You're right that nothing kills a show like bad writing so let's hope Gonzo stuck to the source material. And I admit I haven't seen any of TB yet and it could be absolutely terrible, but I'll wait to see for myself. (I do like other points of view, so tell me, which shows have the best CGI? And which have the best CGI and story combination? I'm new here, excuse the ramble)
NinjaShira

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
I personally didn't like the Chrno Crusade anime. It was really different from the manga, and the pacing wasn't right at all. It could have gotten better, since I've only seen the first few episodes, but from what I have seen, it didn't meet the same awesome standards as the manga.

Basilisk looks really awesome from what I've seen of it, though. I watched the first few episodes, and it's kind of reeeeaaaaallly confusing right now, but the animation and art in that is outstanding! Not to mention, you know, ninjas. Duh. Very Happy
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I've got to agree with whoever was complaining about the CGI and animation nitpickers. Why be so picky about that? What makes an anime an anime is the story. Do you ever complain about the art style of a manga? I'm sorry, but if you wanna spend your time complaning about CGI, critic video games, not anime. (Which I have a feeling you do Confused )

Anyway was far as Gonzo anime goes, all the GONZO anime I've seen (I've of course heard of the others but haven't seen them):
Bakuratsu Tenshi: It was meh...love the opening Lossey though ^^

Chrno Crusade: LOOOVVEEE Anime hyper I have yet to see the last few episodes, but I know what happens lol. Refuse to buy suckY dub from ADV until last vol. I know it's completely different from the manga after a certian point (hides folder on computer that has the manga) but yeah.....>.>....you see nothing....

Full Metal Panic: Only seen....3 eps....It's good, but since it's like 2 years ago for me I probably won't watching it unless I find it online somwhere or get Netflix. I don't want to buy ALL of it (way too long)

FFU: Only saw one ep but I liked it...anything with the FF battle victory song I'll like Anime hyper

Gankutsuou: O.O OMG the anime was SO unique. It was like an artisits dream come true. Their clothes...it was like they moved but stationery. I've only seen one ep, but the animation sold me before I even saw it. It is gorgious to look at and has an intriuing story line.

Gad-gaurd:....borrrriinnggggg Plus the title looks like Dai-Guard, which was soo good and funny.....but yeah....bboorriinngggg

Gatekeepers (TV and 21): TV: Funny 21: Serious Both: Excelent in their own way.

Hellsing: I've skipped around with eps with this serious (the first ep I ever saw was ep 5) I think in Helllsings case it doesn't atter if you skip around because you can easily get into it. I've never seen the latter eps but the ones I did see where reeeaalllyyy good. A classic amoung classics for a reason my friends.

Kalideo Star: Only seen 2 episodes. It's ok, I LOVE the acrobatics though (has acrobatics/assassination fetish)

Kiddy Grade: I liked it....didn't collect past vol 2 though (8 vols, sorry but no)

Last Exile: HOW CAN YOU HATE THIS SHOW!!?? It was really great in it's simplicity. Plus I have the same name as one of the charatcers Alex, and if you've seen the last ep you know what happens to him *hugs him* PLus, isn't that goat doll just the cuttiest? *tilts it to the side and it bahs* Great character development,story, and art. Music was pretty saw well ^^

Speed Grapher: I've seen like half the first ep...it's alright..need to see more of it though to have a full review of it.

Vandread: LOOOVVEEE Vandread...even though it explodes with Sexism the first episodes to the point of me wanting to hurt people, over all very good ^^ *Dita needed to be shot ^-^*

Trinity Blood: Reaalllyyy good in my opinion. I guess since it' been years since I've even glanced at Trigun I haven't really seen a character like Vash in a long time (Been exploding with the goodness of Bleach lately) Plus I LOVE vampires (Anne Rice rules!) And the whole "Vampire that drinks other vampires blood" is so freakin original! I've added it to my "ideal vampire" which consists of a mixutre of Anne Rice's vampires (heck yeah for bisexual vampires!) Vapires from the anime Nightwalker (vampires who use thier blood as weapons) and now this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3