• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weird Genre request

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolcat600

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now - bear with me - I'm trying to find an anime that my friend will like... because she says that it is pointless... I'm not trying to force anime on her, I'm just trying to find one she might like. I am hoping to find one that would paraody or have, something like a "design" show... or whatnot... I don't know, its a long shot, at least I think so - if you guys know of one, let me know, I'll be pleased as pudding Very Happy
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well there are a lot of "weird parody" anime out there but I always considered them to be something for the more experienced fan as they often make fun of other anime and require a little bit of knowledge about the japanese culture. Such titles would be FLCL and Excel Saga but I really dont think they are good for an anime begginer. Plus most anime has inside japanese style jokes, many of wich require a sub note to understand them and we all know that an explained joke is not funny. But you will find a little bit of abstract humour in Azumanga Daioh. I found a lot of girls tend to like it, girls are the main protagonists there and the humour sometimes is parodic and really cute in a funyn way.

About the *fashion/design show* idea.
I dont know about anime but there is quite alot of manga covering this subject. But I am not into this thing so I can say only "Paradise Kiss manga". Good luck.
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The Tenchi muyo ryu-ohki haves the characters in different clothes every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm that reminded me.
You could try Oh My Goddess. It is focused mainly on guys but the creator, Fujishima, as I remember studied fashion desing before he turned to manga so often he is trying alot of very interesting creations in OMG. But again, you will see much more fashion in the manga.
Also Video Girl Ai follows a similar feature. Lots and lots of different clothing. Come to think of it, OMG and VGA are the only anime I know where the characters actually change their clothes Razz
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
One good parody would be Dai Guard because it parodies a lot of stuff that is known to non Anime fans about Japan such Sarimen, Kaiji (big monster) battles, overdone enthusiam with just a hint of seriousness here and there, unlike Excel Saga.

For simular reasons I'd recomend Shrine of the Morning Mist because it pariodies Magical Girls in particular but also teenage girls in general. In addition it jabs at "evil" villians, UFO's, online discusions, Kaiju (again), the uselessness of the male sex, first love, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and this is probably not a complete list.
The reason I put Dai Guard first though is that well.... Shrine of the Morning Mist takes place mostly in a High School...but also a Shinto Shrine. The latter is not as excessable as Corporate Japan. However, its also kind interesting because you see part of Japanese culture that's not really seen above the surface level and there just hint of depth..she might like that (or not).

All the Best,

Nani?

Last edited by Nani? on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:13 am Reply with quote
If you do plan on showing her some parody, then go with Genshiken (the title comes from the name of the university's anime & manga club). It wouldn't be the very first anime I would show to a complete newbie but it's still worth showing early on.

What makes it so great for somebody new to anime is that it features an outsider, a normal girl who had the misfortune of falling in love with a bishie otaku. Much of the comedy comes from the culture clash, and a lot of the more confusing things are explained fairly well in the anime as the otakus talk with the girl. Your friend should as such be able identify with the girl and also understand what's going on.

Another reason I think your friend might like Genshiken, is that the art is fairly realistic so there's none of the shock of facing huge eyes, wild hairstyles and so on. She would also get a look at Japanese youth fashion if you think that is important to her. Basically, Genshiken is an excellent and very funny crash course in anime culture that I would recommend showing to your friend.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
If its a chick, let her watch Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Hell, if she's hot, watch it with her Wink Wink Wink ... chicks are suckers for romance animes ilke that.... ooooor I find a good anime to help persuade people to start anime is either School Rumble or Trust & Betrayal... Although these aren't "weird parody" animes... (Well, SChool Rumble is, but beginnig anime viewers [and even som experienced] dont get most, but WF does a great job in explaining each joke w/out killing the anime.)
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
FlCL is definitely a parody anime/manga. However, there are a few things a person might not understand fully if he/she watched it as a first anime. For example, in episodes one and six, the anime goes into "manga mode", and there are references to other shows like hamtaro. I don't think it'll be a big issue, but even I had some trouble understanding the point of FLCL. I know a few people who aren't into anime, but they liked Fullmetal Alchemist when it aired. I know it isn't a parody, but when showing people anime for the first time, I'd go for something funny.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
If she's a girl with a mild personality, then let her watch Shoujo shows - Full Moon wo Sagashite, Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi no Ceres, Kaitou Saint Jean, Saint Tail, but I think most of the girls would probably prefer mystery shows like Detective School Q, Detective Conan etc. etc.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Try to find something with good crossover-to-non-anime-watchers appeal. I got a lot of my friends into watching anime with the OVA Bastard!! (you can buy the whole series on one disc, my friend got it for $6 at GameStop used), a lot of them really enjoyed Akira, the Cowboy Bebop movie, and Excel Saga, and, if all else fails, get something really wierd.

Then again though, I'm a 16 year old male who hangs out with other 16 year old males, so these reccomendations may not work out for ya.

-R3x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
coolcat600 wrote:
I am hoping to find one that would paraody or have, something like a "design" show... or whatnot...

Did anyone actually read through coolcat600's whole post, or did you all just start recommending anything with two seconds of parody in it? He's looking for a parody of a design show, that's all. How on earth does Genshiken, FLCL, Excel Saga, or anything else that was recommended fill that criteria?
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
coolcat600 wrote:
I am hoping to find one that would paraody or have, something like a "design" show... or whatnot...

Did anyone actually read through coolcat600's whole post, or did you all just start recommending anything with two seconds of parody in it? He's looking for a parody of a design show, that's all. How on earth does Genshiken, FLCL, Excel Saga, or anything else that was recommended fill that criteria?

What the heck is a "design" show anyway? I've never heard of anything like that.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:
coolcat600 wrote:

What the heck is a "design" show anyway? I've never heard of anything like that.

Maybe she's not completely into anime, I mean, she only watch TV series with real people as character. If so, let her watch something short and normal with good story like Boys Be..., or something that will make her interested. But of course, one anime will not make her an Anime Addict Anime smile
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:

Well, the first thing I thought of was home improvement shows like Trading Spaces, Design on a Dime, or Divine Design. Shows where an interior designer redecorates someone's home.

I've never heard of a "fashion" show being referred to as a design show, but I have heard of home improvement shows being called "design shows".
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

There was an "or" in there, although admittedly that could mean a designer show with or without a parody element. However, I can't think of any anime that centers on fashion or design (though a few mangas comes to mind). So basically second best is a show where she can view the various clothes characters wear. Genshiken certainly fills that requirement, especially with Saki who has a good sense of fashion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2