• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ebay and bootlegs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what ebay is doing to stop the bootlegs? Sure would be nice to browse their listings without them.

Is there some loophole that allows them to be sold? If there some easy way to report sellers? You would think all it would take is enough reports of a seller and they would get their entire store closed.
crion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
eBay doesn't care about legitimacy of an item being sold. I belive there was a court ruling years ago that they weren't responsible for this (this was in respect to pirtated software iirc). They get paid regardless of whether the item sold is a legit release or a boot. As for reporting bootlegs - unless you're a copyright holder, eBay would ignore your report. Only copyright holders registered under eBay's VERO program can report copyright infringements. I wouldn't count on bootlegs going anywhere any time soon.
theowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
im suprised then that the copywrite holders are not trying to stop it them. most of the bootlegs are sold by stores, a single store can have up to 1000 auctions going at once, but if you just stop the store you can get rid of a lot of the listings at once.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
There is a way to report items that violate eBay's policies, but you can only report them one item at a time.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
It'd be great if I could report sellers one at a time.
crion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that even if you report an item, unless you're a registered copyright holder, eBay won't move a finger to remove the bootleg. This is now true for half.com as well (they used to remove boots before eBay bought them). They also just remove the items, but don't shut down the stores.
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Bootlegs are a simple fact of life on eBay. The only way you can beat them is to be smarter than the seller... do your homework before bidding. Know what you are looking for, what it looks like, the number of discs, the manufacturer, etc....

And always remember; if it is too good to be true, then it is probably a bootleg.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
And always remember; if it is too good to be true, then it is probably a bootleg.

For the most part this statement is the "golden" rule for Ebay. Even though I bought a vast majority of my items on Ebay, I always try to spot bootlegs even though its becoming increasing more difficult to see this. The Best solution I found is to ask detail question about the item and request more pictures. It's not enough to ask "will this work in my (Insert DVD player of choice)?" Try as much as you can to get specific on the Item you are bidding on. The serious sellers who care that they sell legit R1 or whatever region you may be looking for will always try to answer your question in great detail it seems. Typically bootleger will not answer questions or if they do answer normally it's some very simply one or two word answer to your 3 questions.

But don't get discourage because of the bootlegers ebay is still a great place for good deals that are legit R1 DVDs.

Delta Kiral

P.S. This post felt like a pro ebay letter when I was writing it, but more or less I am tired of people saying there are only fake dvds on Ebay so I thought I would spend sometime writing about the good things on Ebay.
theowner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Oh im fully aware how to spot bootlegs, i just thought i would be nice to browse ebay without the bootlegs in the way. Maybe a toggle to disable viewing auctions from stores would remove most of them. Since most of the bootlegers run stores.

Anyhow i love ebay, im addicted it seems.

Some good deals I've gotten on ebay this last month.

Complete X series, with LE box and all 8 LE slip covers for $60
Original Lain (not signature series) box set for $40
Witch Hunter Robin LE box brand new for $15

Quite a lot of people who sell bootlegs though are very vague on details. They will point out that they are "US sellers" trying to trick people into thinking that means the product must also be US products. They will say its new and sealed when in fact the bootlegs can also be sealed.

I just about fell for this sellers auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6411814022&rd=1
, if you scroll down to his FAQ section he states and i quote "All products are original American releases unless otherwise stated - we offer great deals on Local & Imported products."

At first i did think its too good to be true, but his FAQ section kinda made me think it might be true. But then i checked his other listings and well you can look for youself. People who post misleading auctions and blantently try to trick people should be shut down.

And then there are the auctions which just come and and tell it to you strait, that they are selling imported DVDs, which still suck but at least they are honost.

Maybe ebay can add a imported section. Or at the very least a Region toggle in the search options.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1