• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PM Rage/Spam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
It's been a few months since he started...
A guy I know has had someone "cyberstalking" him for years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It's been a few months since he started...
A guy I know has had someone "cyberstalking" him for years.

So what ended up happening? I mean to do something similar to this, I can only imagine the outcome was anything but decent.

I've always wondered what the point of doing something like this is. So you annoy someone, eventually even a person who does nothing but joke around would get tired after a while of doing something like this.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Although I haven't had one of those PMs directed to me (yet), I have had a few of them passed on to me by concerned forumites, so I've had a chance to read several of them. Given the amount of time that this individual is putting into typing these rants up, I have to wonder how much of a life he actually has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I've not had one of these (yet?) but they are pretty hilarious. I pity the fool Very Happy Would banning the IP address they're coming from help or is that not a viable solution? (I expect you'll have probably thought of that already, I'm more wondering why it hasn't been mentioned at all)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
That would only be effective if the guy has a static IP. I somehow get the impression he has a bit of experience covering his cyber tracks...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Although I haven't had one of those PMs directed to me (yet), I have had a few of them passed on to me by concerned forumites, so I've had a chance to read several of them. Given the amount of time that this individual is putting into typing these rants up, I have to wonder how much of a life he actually has.

I figured the messages weren't just one or two sentences long, but based on what you have said Key, it's a little bit surprising. It just seems very much like a giant amount of effort on something that really doesn't seem worth that much time.

Blood-, Exactly. However, like you said it does seem that he does have some experience covering his tracks and this could turn out to be a real headache for Zac, as well as the moderators and of course Tempest.

In a way this is a bit hilarious. As it seems this guy has some IT experience and he could easily turn this "hobby" into a job and actually do something with this "talent".
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh please.

All he needs is a laptop with Wi-Fi, a bus card and enough money to buy a coffee, and he can go to the local McDonalds or whatever and write his vitriol from there. And if ANN IP bans the McDonalds or the cafe or the airport or wherever he's doing it from, then that actually hurts ANN more than it hurts him.

As for covering his tracks, he just needs to move to the next Wi-Fi hotspot down the street and make a new Hotmail or Gmail account from there, then use them to make a new ANN account and then copy-paste a pre-written hate message from Wordpad into a PM. He could probably do all this before he's finished his drink.

You people think that this is some sophisticated cyber-hacker dude. It isn't. It is a very sad person with basic computer knowledge that any twelve-year-old could probably emulate. Fact is, anyone could do what he's doing, and I think we're lucky that we only have this lone weirdo to deal with rather than a flood of them.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS I GOT ONE TOO! :'D

from user "progressivei":
"ur a stupid-ass bitchass piece of shit=fact. a dumb fudge whu doesnt know a dam thing about anything=fact. apathetic piece of shit buyfag=FACt. all blu-rays r vasly superior 2 dvds and upscaled shit mosdef can look way better on blu-ray=FACT. a stupid-ass faggot like u probly is too busy suking your slutty-ass bitch mom's c**k to notice the super obvious superirity of all blu-rays, dumb phucking c**tsack.

after message is sent, Im leaving this site/account, so u can never reach me or affect m e n n-eway, stupid bitch. this=our last contactbut a dumb f**k likeuw ill try anyway. -__-. and ur mom's still a f**king uglyass slutbitch=fact"

I don't really know what they are talking about, because I agree that most blurays do look better. I think I commented on someone saying that the Baccano! bluray looking really really amazing, and I said it looked alright, but not a big improvement. Maybe this person saw that and decided to engage in some delightful banter with me. I'm pretty sure this person has an Oedipus Complex, because they are always implying that you have sexual relations with your own mother. Maybe it's reflective of their own experience? They also seem a little afraid to swear, censoring the word "f-u-c-k," but continuing to use equally (in my opinion) offensive words/names. Also, this is really weird (maybe this person is a stalker?!), but they called me a dumb fudge. Fudge is actually my surname. Shocked-
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh please. All he needs is a laptop with Wi-Fi, a bus card and enough money to buy a coffee, and he can go to the local McDonalds or whatever and write his vitriol from there.

It's even easier than that. I don't put huge stock in this guy's intelligence, but he probably knows what a proxy is. That way he doesn't even have to get off his (presumably) Jubba the Hut ass.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
This much is for certain, that is one angry person whom I am guessing has plenty of time to spare.

Jmfsilenthill, wow, just wow. I am truly at a loss of words on what to say about that. Other than apparently Blu-ray's aren't as liked by all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS I GOT ONE TOO! :'D

He only sent the one this time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
I think what I find the most hilarious about this is the way he flips the hell out over the stupidest things. He goes from zero to rabid frothing rage over things that would inspire mere annoyance in even the most rage filled of forum users.

Not to mention that he seems to contradict himself. He's apparently furious that you don't like BD and yet he calls you a "buyfag". It kinda makes me wonder...does he even comprehend what he's freaking out about? Or is he just raging because he's just that full of rage. Yes...clearly this is the work of crazy people.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Not to mention that he seems to contradict himself. He's apparently furious that you don't like BD and yet he calls you a "buyfag". It kinda makes me wonder...does he even comprehend what he's freaking out about? Or is he just raging because he's just that full of rage. Yes...clearly this is the work of crazy people.

That's what I don't understand, see I actually do like BD, alot more than dvds actually. Just in the case of upscales, I don't think a BD upgrade is completely necessary (the difference won't be god-like). For instance, I won't upgrade my R.O.D dvds for that reason. So apparently I'm a "buyfag" because I don't want to buy blurays of stuff I already have on dvd?! Confused This person and their "=FACTS" Rolling Eyes . Their spelling and logic are f*cking awful, yet I'm the stupid one? What a douche.[/i]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Confused This person and their "=FACTS" Rolling Eyes . Their spelling and logic are f*cking awful, yet I'm the stupid one? What a douche.[/i]

The moment you get upset with him, he's won. The trick is to laugh it off and not to take such an utterly worthless person's opinion seriously.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Confused This person and their "=FACTS" Rolling Eyes . Their spelling and logic are f*cking awful, yet I'm the stupid one? What a douche.[/i]

The moment you get upset with him, he's won. The trick is to laugh it off and not to take such an utterly worthless person's opinion seriously.

Yeah I'm over it. Kinda hope I get another one. They're good for a laugh Laughing .
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9