• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime appropriate for kids

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Dear Readers,
I have a little brother who is an anime fan like me, but sometimes it's hard for him to fine anime that's appropriate for his age. He can watch some 13+ (Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Case Closed, etc.) and loves all the (licenced) Studio Ghibli films and Junkers Come Here. He is eleven years old. Also he is not really into the Saturday morning anime like Yu-Gi-Oh. I am looking for recommendations, so plase post!
Domo Arigato,
YourNeighborTotoro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Lemme see...I know Hikaru no Go's coming out, but I'm not sure if it'll be on TV though. Some parts may be a bit slow, so if your bro' is more into action, this may not be the best choice. I personally like Yu Yu Hakusho. For the most part, uncut isn't too gory, and there really isn't much nudity in the series at all, but it'll be a big commitment to buy such a large series. Toonami is airing/will air edited versions of Naruto, Bobobo-bobo-bo...bo?, and Yu Yu Hakusho sometime over the summer, so those should be worth checking out. Since he can watch Conan, which is a tad gory sometimes, I'll suggest Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a really great comedy series, so if anything, check this one out first.
.hack//sign is available on DVD, but it's heavily text based and can get boring sometimes.

BTW, does he like to read any manga? Maybe you could get anime versions of those.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I have three boys myself (aged 2, 5½ and 8½). Among the anime that my oldest likes and is old enough to watch, I can recommend:

Futatsu no Spica, a coming-of-age story that deals with space exploration.

Mujin Wakusei Survive!, a "Swiss Family Robinson"-style tale of a group of youngsters stranded on an uncharted planet.

Asagiri no Miko, the story of a magical war between young priestesses of good and evil.

I also allow him to watch anime for a slightly older audience, such as Bleach and HunterXHunter.

When my two oldest are watching anime together (the youngest just wants to watch the OP themes, he's not really interested in the stories, yet), they like A Little Snow Fairy Sugar or Bintume Yousei, Azumanga Daioh, or even Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi.

I've allowed them to see parts of some anime that are intended for older ages, but carefully screened to stop short of the point where the anime in question turn too violent.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Wow, you let your kids watch Abenobashi? While I'm sure the violence is kept to a minimum, the show does tend to get rather crude, in terms of some adult humor and suggested sexual themes.

BTW, just for the record, I'm not doubting your abilites as a parent, at all. You sound like a very capable, responsible adult. I'm just curious to know how you feel about your kids watching this show.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Full Moon wo Sagashite is one of my top 5 animes, and it's very kiddy haha...
Uhhh, others would be Beck (another music anime)...
SCHOOL RUMBLE would be great... it's humor for teens, children and adults.
and of course there are many others... some mentioned here and many of the super mainstream animes.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:

Beck?!? With the language they use in there.

Full Metal Panic I think would be good; there is some fanservice here and there but not too much that is objectionable in my opinion. Also, Crest and Banner of the Stars are more than okay for kids; though it may move a little slow for some tastes.

Voices of a Distant Star and a lot of Miyazaki's works are good movie and OAV ideas.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Crackers wrote:
abunai wrote:

Wow, you let your kids watch Abenobashi? While I'm sure the violence is kept to a minimum, the show does tend to get rather crude, in terms of some adult humor and suggested sexual themes.

BTW, just for the record, I'm not doubting your abilites as a parent, at all. You sound like a very capable, responsible adult. I'm just curious to know how you feel about your kids watching this show.

I didn't think you were (and it wouldn't bother me a bit, if you did). No, actually, a lot of the outright sexual humour goes right over their heads. The oldest gets some of the jokes, but considers them silly. He's rather blasé about it.

I'm not an American, I'm Danish - so I'm considerably less uptight about sex than Americans (in general). I will refrain from getting into whether this is a good thing or not (though I can't help but remark that the countries of Northern Europe have some of the lowest rates of teen pregnancy and STDs among teens in the world - a direct result of being open about sex, rather than repressive).

I'm far more cautious of on-screen violence (which I consider dangerous, in that it desensitizes children to violence). I don't ban all on-screen violence, but I take care not to let them OD on it. I'm even more cautious when it comes to psychologically deep themes - that is, adult-style dilemmas and horrors. Kids don't need that, they deserve to be allowed to remain ignorant of adult horrors for as long as possible. The underlying story in Abenobashi actually touches on this subject, with Sasshi's unwillingness to grow up and accept change in his life.

My kids' favourite scene in Abenobashi was the hot-dog vendor's monologue (You know the one: "Hey there, f---ing cowboy and your f---ing girlfriend, would you like a f---ing hot dog, with f---ing mustard and f---ing ketchup?", etc.) in the "Hollywood" episode. They were rolling on the floor, literally. I try to curb swearing in everyday use, but my kids are intelligent enough to tell the difference between that and a comedic episode like this one.

- abunai
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:01 am Reply with quote
the only safe bet is the really lamer stuff like Bottle Fairy and, Tiny Snow fairy Sugar, and Creamy Mami.

i guess Risky Safefy would okay too.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

Beck?!? With the language they use in there.

Full Metal Panic I think would be good; there is some fanservice here and there but not too much that is objectionable in my opinion. Also, Crest and Banner of the Stars are more than okay for kids; though it may move a little slow for some tastes.

Voices of a Distant Star and a lot of Miyazaki's works are good movie and OAV ideas.

Well he did say he can watch 13+... he never said it had to be disney level...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Refer to this old thread for recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
A good manga for an eleven year old boy would be Rave Master, cartoon network made it for children but in the manga there isn't anything wrong with it. Pheonix is another good manga series for an eleven year old. Revolutionart Girl Utena is the only one I can think of but its more of a girly anime. Or watch an anime that might be best for him to wait a few years with him and explain some of the stuff with him whats going on. Inuyasha isn't bad for an eleven year old. My mind is blank at the moment, .hack//sign should be fine, on YTV here in Canada they have anime on friday nights that isn't for little kids. I think its the same as Adult Swim in the states. I got one Star Ocean EX! It's based off of the rpg Star Ocean 2
Gemini Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I wouldn't recomend Full Metal Panic there is a lot of bad language in that also the violence and fan service its more of a 14+ show.

I would recomend Rurouni Kenshin the dub is pretty clean there is light swearing and some blood. But it is a great series with likeable characters and a lot of action. I'm sure an 11 year old boy would like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1