• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tachikomas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afrothunder75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
OMG, I love these guys from GITS SAC, I hope that they bring them back in the next season.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
I liked them, too. I'm curious what Tachikoma translates to in English?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:31 am Reply with quote
I thought they were fine in the Tachikoma Days shorts, but as for the part they played in GITS SAC, they were one of the main reasons I stopped watching it. The whole tachikoma plot is so totally preposterous, how anyone could let such powerful weapons with untried unstable AI on the loose is totally beyond me. As to what the word means I don't know for sure but tachi can mean 'small castle', which seems about right, and koma could mean something like 'frame'. I could be totally wrong about this though.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
The whole tachikoma plot is so totally preposterous, how anyone could let such powerful weapons with untried unstable AI on the loose is totally beyond me.

Well, my understanding of that plot was that the Tachikomas were stable initially. However after constant syncing of data, and the effects of the natural oil used by Batou, the AI of the Tachikomas started to metamorph into something not initially intended. Also, Batou's exclusive use of the same Tachikoma further caused them to develop a sense of uniqueness and individuality.

Basically, the things they went through in the real world were beyond what they could have discovered in a laboratory.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Basically, the things they went through in the real world were beyond what they could have discovered in a laboratory.

Fair comment, I guess my dislike of them must also be related to my arachnophobia coupled with an extreme distrust of anything packing a Gatling gun...
Anime Angie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I guess my dislike of them must also be related to my arachnophobia coupled with an extreme distrust of anything packing a Gatling gun...

That's understandable; and though I was hesitant at first (I'm an arachnophobe as well) they grew on me.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
They're like little R2-D2s. You have to keep wiping their memories to keep them stable, and Section 9 didn't because they thought it was fun. Wink
DaGreatKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
if anything, their 'voices' and the way they move when interacting with each other is sometimes just plain annoying to me.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the opening for Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig and tachikomas are in the intro, so I am going to assume they come back. They were pretty good comic relief in the show.
I dont know if they will have Tachikoma Days again, which in my opinion some were good but some were just soo brain dead humor. I am sure somebody who saw some fansubs knows for sure.

Plus you saw how pissed Bato was when they got rid of them, they have to bring them back.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I know that they're called tachikomas in Stand Alone Complex, but weren't they called fuchikomas in the original Ghost in the Shell movie or something similar? Does anyone know how they're related and why the name was changed?
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I know that they're called tachikomas in Stand Alone Complex, but weren't they called fuchikomas in the original Ghost in the Shell movie or something similar? Does anyone know how they're related and why the name was changed?

I don't remember them appearing in GITS. They were in the GITS Manga and were called fuchikomas. I'm not sure why the name was changed for GITS: SAC. It may be that they were trying to differentiate them from the Manga and made them to be like a new model with a new name.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I thought they were fine in the Tachikoma Days shorts, but as for the part they played in GITS SAC, they were one of the main reasons I stopped watching it. The whole tachikoma plot is so totally preposterous, how anyone could let such powerful weapons with untried unstable AI on the loose is totally beyond me. As to what the word means I don't know for sure but tachi can mean 'small castle', which seems about right, and koma could mean something like 'frame'. I could be totally wrong about this though.

I don't know if you watch or read that much Science Fiction but the nature of Artificial Inteligence, and the consequences of such things, like the danger of it malfunctioning are VERY common, with both written litterature, as well as television and film. The Tachkoma's in GITS: SAC whether intended or not, are more of spoof on this as they actually work right and do their job, despite being a little quirky at times, and look what happened to them anyway. spoiler[They get sent back to the lab, because of their development of individualized personalites, by the Major, and end up sacrificing themselves to save Batoh's life proving she was totally wrong to worry.] An interesting twist on an old concept if you ask me, kind of refreshing. Smile
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I thought they were fine in the Tachikoma Days shorts, but as for the part they played in GITS SAC, they were one of the main reasons I stopped watching it. The whole tachikoma plot is so totally preposterous, how anyone could let such powerful weapons with untried unstable AI on the loose is totally beyond me.

spoiler[Except that that most "unstable" of all the tachikoma's was able to relate to and interact with a human child with complete success. "Tachikoma Runs Away" is one of my favorite stories in the series.]
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
...how can the Tachikomas come back for 2nd GIG, since spoiler[they all were destroyed in the end of SAC]?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
"OMG they're gonna take over the world... nooooooooooooo"

Well, something like that

Anyway, they were pretty fun to have around, but as far as making the series more realistic, that wasn't really achieved *which is why OSHII probably removed them from the movies*

But really, it was fun having them around *they're so cute*

I'm also kinda wondering the change of names too and what they mean *FUCHIkoma - TACHIkoma*

Anyone have an answer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2