• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adding to my collection!...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
New Question:

Im thinking of getting an action anime. Like martial arts, guns, swords, magic, it dosn't matter. But no mechs.

But Im looking for an action anime that has romance and or comedy in it. Any reccomendations?

Also, I prefer box sets. So that way I can get the whole series.

Last edited by Anime_Fever on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Outlaw Star and Record of Lodoss War m'self, but some of those I haven't seen yet although I admit I haven't seen Vandread simply because the show doesn't sound interesting to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
they're all in BOX SETs right?

It's a hard choice then... but we can lower down the possible choices if you tell us what you're really into
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I actualy really like everything. Action-guns, swords... Romance, comedy. A good storyline is important.

I really like Trigun, DBZ, Those who hunt elves, Gungrave, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Basically all of the newer animes that are on Adult swim. Im not a mech fan, but I liked Gad Guard and Full Metal Panic.

Wether old or new, I prefer them to have a modern art look if that helps.

And they are all the boxed sets.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
okay, which of the choices cost the least, but then have the most episode counts?

If you like the show, it'd be cool if it's somewhat long so you have something to do...

until you get more anime Razz
Anime Angie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I, personally, would go through the Saiyuki collection and then look at another series. (I'm just OCD like that, I suppose)
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Fever wrote:
Well, I actualy really like everything. Action-guns, swords... Romance, comedy. A good storyline is important.

I really like Trigun, DBZ, Those who hunt elves, Gungrave, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Basically all of the newer animes that are on Adult swim. Im not a mech fan, but I liked Gad Guard and Full Metal Panic.

Wether old or new, I prefer them to have a modern art look if that helps.

And they are all the boxed sets.

Where are you purchasing these boxed sets?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Where are you purchasing these boxed sets?

Good question. Depending on where you get them (in a store or online), how much they cost, and how much money you have to spend, I might be able to help you find some better deals, though they'll all probably be online retailers or eBay.

As for the possible combination, I would easily choose Outlaw Star because of its good dubbing and overall entertaining atmosphere. I haven't seen Saiyuki, Vandread, or You're Under Arrest, but if dubbing is your preference, I'd leave out Lodoss and Excel, as much as I like them for their content.

Instead, I'd suggest you maybe start collecting Tenjou Tenge. If you like those action/martial arts type of anime, this might be a good choice. I like the dubbing and the animation is very good for a TV series. I just hope you don't mind a little fanservice Razz.
akitainu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know much about the English dub...but Outlaw Star, Vandread, Excel Saga and You're Under Arrest are all a good catch. I was foolish enough to buy all (including Lodoss) when they came out. As such, I can't speak to economics...but, Outlaw Star is a cheap scoop, and a good series to boot. Excel Saga is best enjoyed after multiple viewings, so I also recommend that series. I would stack the others; Vandread, Lodoss, and You're Under Arrest not in order so much, but in moods when I saw them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Excel Saga & Outlaw Star--Excel Saga usually goes pretty cheap, and there's a lot to enjoy. I haven't watched Outlaw Star yet, but it's pretty good, and if you can get the 26 ep set of that for the same price as a 13 ep series like LW, it's a better bargain.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. . . of this lot I'd have to recommend Excel Saga and Vandread. The former is one of the funniest anime series ever produced and has great sets of extras (the ADV Notes feature in particular and lots of Easter Eggs), while the latter is ridiculous but still one of the most purely fun series I've seen recently. Vandread has a great dub, while Excel Saga. . . well, they do try hard, but it's not a series very conducive to dubbing. Still worth playing both ways because some of the jokes change in the translation.

Each of the other series has their merits, but those are the two of that lot I have found most consistently entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
New Question:

Im thinking of getting an action anime. Like martial arts, guns, swords, magic, it dosn't matter. But no mechs.

But Im looking for an action anime that has romance and or comedy in it. Any recommendations?

Also, I prefer box sets. So that way I can get the whole series.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I seriously cannot believe no one here has even mentioned Inuyasha. Romance, Comedy and Action? C'mon! The choice is beyond obvious.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I seriously cannot believe no one here has even mentioned Inuyasha. Romance, Comedy and Action? C'mon! The choice is beyond obvious.

Ah~, but what you probably don't know is that the original post on this thread was asking for suggestions of whether to choose between a combination of box sets for Outlaw Star, Excel Saga, You're Under Arrest, Vandread, or Record of Lodoss War.

The author of this thread has since changed his opening post, which kind of boggles me since he really didn't have to. Now, all the posts below it are either meaningless or obscure Anime smallmouth.
Anime_Fever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

The author of this thread has since changed his opening post, which kind of boggles me since he really didn't have to. Now, all the posts below it are either meaningless or obscure Anime smallmouth.

Heh, I was gonna leave the first post the same but I just wanted to make sure I would get a response to my new question. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2