• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
classifed anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebutterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Where can I find how anime is classified? kid's, adult, and so on. Do you know if there is any rules in Japan, or Korean?
Embarassed Embarassed
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
If you are wondering how it's categorized, etc. then the content is what it will be judged by. It may help to take a look at the Lexicon in the Encyclopedia section. As there are multiple genres out there, it is worth taking the th time to look over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Most of the anime listed in the enclyclopedia is classified by age rating and genre.
Like R.O.D. is classified :
Age rating: Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Shounen
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
freebutterfly wrote:
Where can I find how anime is classified? kid's, adult, and so on. Do you know if there is any rules in Japan, or Korean?
Embarassed Embarassed

The rules are not all easily interpretable by westerners. The here are a few. This is an indirect answer to your question.

1. The Japanese are willing to to show tragedy at a younger age because it's part of life instead of "sheltering" them (I agree with them on this one). Therefore you have life and death for characters with consquences even at a young age. For example, look at Spirited Away where it's perfectly possible for spoiler[Chihiro permanently to "become" Sen, and her parents to remain pigs and eventually be eaten.]

2. Violence and bad behavior ultimately has consequences that somebody has to deal with/clean up/ take responiblity. Even so, things are not "fixed" in the sense that things are restored. A cost is paid, in innocence, life etc. Rather, a new "steady state" is achieved. Nothing is free. This is a real life truth as well.

3. More is implied then made explicit.

4. Some things may happen (a father taking a bath with his daughters, racial stereotyping) that are not acceptable by western standards but are acceptable by Japanese standards. Deal with it.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1