• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yokohama Shopping Trip-- very good, and mostly unknown still

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
What a great few weeks its been for me with anime!! I've been watching for years, and have been in a pretty long drought and then-- bam!!-- 12 Kingdoms, Emma, Area 88 OVA, and now this!!

I thought this 2 part OVA, plus the 2 part sequel, were just wonderful. Unlike almost anything else I've seen in anime. Almost no plot at all-- just true slices of life, beautiful scenery, good music, and ruminations on life I found interesting. It's almost a sort of "zen" experience watching it. Ha ha!!

This is just another show that is never really spoken about at all. What a complete shame. People are always making those "most underrated" threads, but ironically, shows like this are never put on those-- because they're so under rated.

Anyways, outside of shows like, say, Haibani or Emma or Azumanga, what other shows might seem similar-- have that wonderful, peaceful ruminating quality about it? I know Haibani and Emma are really very different shows than this-- but they're about as close as I could get to that quiet, thoughtful attention to detail this show has-- with good music, good animation, interesting characters, and a very slow pace.

Sometimes, pacing really bugs me (Angels Egg was, sadly, too slow for me-- although very intreresting visuals for sure), but in this show it wasn't a problem at all. Perhaps I simply wasn't expecting action, and therefore wasn't dissapointed when I didn't receive it? I dunno.

Anyone else seen this? Also, I know they're releasing the sequel on DVD right now in Japan-- but has anyone released the original anywhere in the US or in Japan? I couldn't find it anywhere. Anywhere. I looked all over the net, on ebay, for bootlegs, for anything. Nuttin'. Any help here? Or am I simply stuck with what I've got?

Anways, a very good show.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Don't you know there is a manga of it? I still have to read it (probably I'll do it when the exams are over), but I have looked a little and looked very good, specially for anyone who was liked the series you mention before (Haibane Renmei, for example).

Anyway, there are two users here who will probably tell you more than me.

I summon you, Abunai/Dormcat!!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nope. Not been licensed, and I'm skeptical that it ever will be. I used to think that it would be the perfect AnimEigo title, but AnimEigo hasn't licensed any "new" OVA series in years. And Toren Smith was on the verge of licensing the manga for a couple of years but then he abruptly sold Studio Proteus to Dark Horse, and I don't think Dark Horse is interested in these kinds of languidly-paced titles that focus on creating a relaxed "atmosphere" of nostalgia for the impermanence of things rather than having an exciting, continually-advancing storyline.

I have all 3 Region 2 DVDs (the original series and the newer 2002-2003 adaptation), but, unfortunately, my DVD-ROM drive is pretty much dead and my standalone DVD player does not play R2s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I've seen abunai and dormcat both highly praise and recommend the YKK manga, and that's more than enough for me to be practically overflowing with curiosity. This title is in my dying-to-see category and on my R2 DVD to-buy list, right after Digital Juice. Do the R2s have English subtitles, Tenchi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The manga has always been popular in a lot of the manga forums. I haven't read the manga yet but the anime is alright.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Do the R2s have English subtitles, Tenchi?

No, but they follow the manga for the most part, especially the 1998 episodes, so, if you already know what's going on, you won't be lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I think it's fairly well-known around here that dormcat and I are the resident high priests of the cult of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (or YKK). The manga is, in our opinion, the very best the medium has to offer, and the two anime OVAs are excellent showcases of parts of the story.

That's all they are, however - parts of the story. What makes YKK so wonderful is the level of complexity that the story maintains, while at the same time keeping a slow and measured pace, that really gives you time to think about the details - and to fall in love with the characters. The depth of characterisation is unmatched by any other manga. So, if you want "the full package", you must read the manga.

The OVAs are based on events from the early manga tankoubons, and much has happened in the storyline since then. I keep hoping for another OVA, or even a series, but it is unlikely to happen - precisely because YKK has such a narrow audience.

You've already mentioned Emma and Haibane Renmei as two other anime that you like - and this is no coincidence. There is a very high correlation between these anime. If you like one, you'll probably like the other two as well.

Granted, the Emma anime is falling short of completely reproducing the manga (which is much more complex), but it is still doing a wonderful job of drawing the viewer into its universe. So, too, does Haibane Renmei involve the viewer.

Whether it is the slow-paced, aesthetic storytelling, or the depth of characterisation that connects these anime, the fact remains that they have much in common, in terms of fans.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
I think part of what i liked about the OVA's-- and the first one in particular-- is that you don't really need to have read any of the manga to actually get a very good experience out of them. They're almost like visual haiku. Because they're not really related to any real plot, you just experience the day to day small revelations of the group, and Alpha in particular. I thought the second OVA set went a bit astray, by actually trying to form some sort of coherent story in just two episodes. It would have been better to keep certain characters out, shrink the scope, and focus on smaller things, like what was done in the first OVA set-- just my opinion.

But yeah, I'll probably be attempting to check out the manga. The OVA was wonderful wonderful wonderful.

I also really liked the amazing attention to detail in the first set-- for instance, alpha is riding her moped, and as she passes through the shadows of trees, you can see her eyes through the half-darkness of her sunglasses, then, as she re-enters the sun they get a glare again. Or, as she sits in her room (or the cafe?), shadows pass over head, and the quality of the light actually changes in the window, then gets brighter again as the clouds pass. There were little things like that everywhere. And I could stare at their clouds all day long-- they were beautifully painted. And someone in anime finally got the movement of waves against a beach and the sparkle of sunlight on water right.!! It was like someone reached into my brain and pulled out a bunch of the little, insignificant, beautiful things I've noticed in day to day life, and put them on the screen.

Also, I prefered the more "manga" style art in the first OVA-- with the sketch lines and whatnot (very retro-- reminded me of Macross), versus the watercolors of the second set. The second set was also over-orchestrated a bit in my opinion-- the music was very nice, but I prefered the silence and natural sounds of the first set.

Still, both were very very good. I'm really just being picky. Mostly, I just thought the anime actually worked as an experience on its own. I'm sure it's even better perhaps, having read the manga, but .... Smile

Does the manga ever really ... "build" a plot? Or is it sort of a succession of day to day activities? Or are there different story "arcs"?

Also, a bit off topic,but-- how does the Emma anime relate to the manga?? Is it basically the same story, but just edited some (a la, say, Berserk)? This seemed to be the gist from your post. And is the run of the manga really long?? Or does it seem like the show is going to end at the end of the manga?

Thanks alot for the info so far. These are some great shows.!!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
They're almost like visual haiku.

I agree. It's very poetic, particular at the spoiler[North Ruin scene, when Alpha has a monologue about the light bulbs keep working under water, after the entire city is abandoned. They once have their respective purposes, but now they shine only for the sake of shining.]

Darn it. I got tears again. IMHO this is the best scene in the first OVA, partly because of my personal experience. You might want to read the dialogue between abunai and me last year regarding YKK and Haibane Renmei.

Steve Berry wrote:
But yeah, I'll probably be attempting to check out the manga.

You must. Anime catgrin

Steve Berry wrote:
The second set was also over-orchestrated a bit in my opinion-- the music was very nice, but I prefered the silence and natural sounds of the first set.

I have different opinion on this issue. Personally, I don't feel very comfortable about the two insert songs by Alpha. They somehow interrupted the pacing of the anime, which has a special atmosphere of "silence," and they are the major reason why I didn't rate the first OVA as "masterpiece."

The music in the second OVA was arranged by Taku Iwasaki, one of my favorite anime music composer. The BGM at this scene, where spoiler[Alpha and Kokone are sitting on a grassy knoll, stare at the beautiful sunset while do and think nothing], echoed and resonated in my arteries and veins. It was like spoiler[chou-koku (an extra-strength version of Okinawa kokutou, "black sugar") for Alpha and Maruko] (you'll know what I'm talking about in later chapters of manga).

Steve Berry wrote:
Does the manga ever really ... "build" a plot?

In fact, yes. There are numerous hidden plots waiting to be answered, particularly about spoiler[the past between Dr. Koumiishi and her android, Alpha Koumiishi (the main character is named Alpha Hatsuseno)].

Steve Berry wrote:
Also, a bit off topic,but-- how does the Emma anime relate to the manga?? Is it basically the same story, but just edited some (a la, say, Berserk)? This seemed to be the gist from your post. And is the run of the manga really long?? Or does it seem like the show is going to end at the end of the manga?

The anime basically follows the story of manga. Sadly, Emma anime will end at the 12th episode and may not even reach the end of manga vol. 2 about spoiler[Emma's background]. Anime cry

My goodness, Kaoru Mori is only two days younger than I am! And she loves Porco Rosso too!! Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought your link to the thread about "The Silence" was very instightful-- particularly the "active" nature of the moment that overtakes you with a living sort of silence,versus a more passive experience of simply watching something from the outside. Rather, you are drawn into the experience and become part of it. The desc in the other thread very much described exactly what it was that I liked so much about the anime.

I will have to finish watching Haibani btw, obviously. Much talked about.

Anyways, I am currently in the process of getting my hands on the YKK and the Emma mangas-- a real boon of good stuff to check out, after realing only reading Berserk for so long (which I still think is wonderful). Anyways, I didn't mean for this thread to degenerate into a discussion of the manga. Thanks for all the info guys. It's nice to see that there are others out there with a real appreciation for shows like this. YKK gets spoken about even less than Haibani or Emma, sadly. Sad
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:44 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Steve Berry wrote:

The anime basically follows the story of manga. Sadly, Emma anime will end at the 12th episode and may not even reach the end of manga vol. 2 about spoiler[Emma's background]. Anime cry

Yes, Emma is currently set to end with ep. 12, and the last few episodes have deviated considerably from the manga. It's still a good story, but the abbreviated form has resulted in a number of liberties being taken with the storyline.

It's by no means the type of miscarriage that Hellsing was, though. The anime works very well, on its own terms. The storyline of the manga is considerably longer and more complex (with no end in sight, so far) - and, to my mind, better. However, this does not change the fact that the anime is very, very good indeed.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Yes, Emma is currently set to end with ep. 12, and the last few episodes have deviated considerably from the manga. It's still a good story, but the abbreviated form has resulted in a number of liberties being taken with the storyline.

Ok, I've heard this elsewhere as well, but nobody ever gives specifics. I'm curious, how does it differ? I don't mind spoilers, that's not why I usually watch shows anyways. Give me some of the juicy details.... Smile

edit-- I'm just going to move the Emma questions I have to a new thread. See you there? ..... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1