• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation's limited edition Samurai 7 boxset

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I was looking on TheRightStuf, and saw the Samurai 7 boxset on there.
Samurai 7 On TRSI

What mostly interested me was the tentative cover art of the box:

Kind of a nice design, I would say.

Also, the boxset (limited to 10,000 copies) will have a 160 page art book that includes storyboards and a 36 page art booklet
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkcancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, definatly nice artwork but does it go with the series? The cover is just so different from the animation style.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
How dose samurai 7 compare to the original seven samurai by Mr. Aikra Koursawa? I have seen seven samurai and loved it, I was thinking about getting the anime (samurai 7) but the ratings are mediocre at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call the following mediocre at best, I'd say they were really good:

Samurai 7 ranking
Seen in part or in whole by 343 users, rank: #240
Median rating: Very good
Arithmetic mean: 7.8366 (Very good-.16), std. dev.: 1.6308, rank: #376
Weighted mean: 7.7412 (Very good-.25), rank: #374
Bayesian estimate: 7.71706 (Very good-.28), rank: #195
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
How dose samurai 7 compare to the original seven samurai by Mr. Aikra Koursawa? I have seen seven samurai and loved it, I was thinking about getting the anime (samurai 7) but the ratings are mediocre at best.

They're not a like at all. Samurai 7 has mechs and guns and robot samurai. To me it's an average series, maybe 1 or 2 good fight in the entire series.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
They're not a like at all. Samurai 7 has mechs and guns and robot samurai. To me it's an average series, maybe 1 or 2 good fight in the entire series.

Yeah but just because it takes a more futuristic take on it I am sure there are more similarites than that... and dont say they both have 7 samurai's. I too loved the original movie, I still cant believe it was made back in the 1950's.

I think this series is going to be good and I have been anxiously awaiting any news of when funimation is going to release it. Thanks for the news, Kusanagi-sama.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
darkcancer wrote:
Wow, definatly nice artwork but does it go with the series? The cover is just so different from the animation style.

These are the original covers used by the Japanese editions. The limited edition box set also mirrors the Japanese release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

I hate it when people say this. To me an engaging story can be just as good, if not better, than a lot of action. I just don't see why a series has to be full of swordfights to be entertaining. I really loved Samurai 7 and I can't wait to finish it when the DVDs come out.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
While the story it self is pretty standard (good) stuff, I'm not sure if it's has enough to be captivating (great). It drags a lot, and felt like an RPG game in which the adventurer is out on a quest to recruit crewmates for his party member. The funny momments weren't that funny at all. Oh yeah add in some whiny character.

I would give it credit if it was emotionally deep or instantly funny but it's the usually stuff. And while many people were saying the action was awesome, it only had like 1 or 2 really good fight scene. Beside it's an samurai anime, arn't people going to expect champloo or kenshin's sword action? If not, then Otogi Zoshi has an enganging story that doesn't rely on action.

Out of all those hundred samurai, you can pretty much pick out "7 samurai". I wish there was more surprising twist though or shocking revelation...but it takes a standard approach. The original 7 samurai movie was fantastic, the anime is just good, B-quality stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1