• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with a bad start, but becomes good later on

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS4NT_786

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone got any anime which starts off really badly - for whatever reason, but you grow to like it later on?

for me, its .hack//sign because i almost fell asleep during the fist episode - it was that slow paced, I don't even recall tsukasa mentioning his name during that episode... Anime smile + sweatdrop
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, Yakitate!! Japan took about 15 episodes until I began to like it. I was close to just dropping it for good, but now I’m glad I stuck around. It’s still no masterpiece, but I’m enjoying it. Sometimes it’s nice to watch something that doesn’t tax your mind too much.
Fantastic Children Started out really slowly too. During the first 10+ episode, who would have ever guessed it would turn out to be so great? Not me. I was pleasantly surprised.
Last Exile was so boring for me at first! It took a dozen episodes or more before I actually started to enjoy it. It turned out to be very good, but it took a while.
Some people might disagree with me, but I thought My-HiME had an awful start. I watched 2 episodes, and then stopped watching for over 4 months, because I just wasn’t interested in seeing more. Then, I started watching again on a whim, and by episode 6 or 7, I found myself hooked.
Planetes! A perfect example of an anime that starts out bad! Compared to the goofy situations of the first dozen or so episodes, the drama of the last dozen comes as a shock. This anime is hugely under appreciated, and I think it’s because a lot of people stop watching before it gets good.

That’s all I can think of… usually a series that starts out bad continues to be bad all the way through. Unfortunately, there are even more series that have a promising start and turn into junk. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Peace Maker Kurogane...the first couple of episodes were so-so, but it became really good later. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Naruto; God I hate this series, it just made no scene to me and had no real good plot; I actually started to like the series a few months ago about the time when they were saving some prince dude from some samurai lazer sword guy, but then it started to get all dragonball-zish on my ass and I dropped it; I mean word advice to the creator, dude your story is tooooooooooooooooo cliche to DBZ stop riding that horse. I quess I don't have any series that i hated then later on liked...................wait theres Escaflowne I didn't like the series awhole to tell you the truth but its when the movie came out I feel in love with the story and gave it another chance, and now I love it.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
For me, it was Kiddy Grade. The first eight episodes were very light-hearted, unstructured in the plot, and focused mostly on fanservice. But after Episode 9, the series took a complete 180-degree turn and became a compelling, exciting, and somewhat tragic space drama. I understand why some people were turned off on Kiddy Grade early on with the somewhat amateurish content of the earlier episodes, but I'm glad I stuck with the series all the way to the end. Wink
kk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Call me lame or kiddy-ish, but I found Mon-Colle Knights to be really good after a couple of episodes. The first episode started off really fast and not much was explained except that they blasted off to the other world and started fighting the monsters. After they met the bad guy (forgot his name) and after Mondo meets up with Pegasus, the plot kinda thickens a bit. Anyways, I was hooked cause it was suspenseful, for me anyways. I guess it depends on your tastes.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the first episode of Elfen Lied the other night and didn't really like the show because of all the gore and violence. But after reading the Encyclopedia's more detailed synopsis and then watching the rest of Vol.1, I like it a lot more.

It seemed like the violence was there for the sake of showing how bloody they could make a TV series. Although, as I mentioned above, the rest of the volume and the Encyc. synopsis cleared up what I orignally thought was just a senseless display of how people can get their bodies torn apart.

Great production values, though (especially the soundtrack). I'm anxiously looking forward to more.
mitora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Naruto; God I hate this series, it just made no scene to me and had no real good plot; I actually started to like the series a few months ago about the time when they were saving some prince dude from some samurai lazer sword guy, but then it started to get all dragonball-zish on my ass and I dropped it; I mean word advice to the creator, dude your story is tooooooooooooooooo cliche to DBZ stop riding that horse. I quess I don't have any series that i hated then later on liked...................wait theres Escaflowne I didn't like the series awhole to tell you the truth but its when the movie came out I feel in love with the story and gave it another chance, and now I love it.

Oh wow, I'm sorry if this insults you Laruto but when I fist saw your penname I seriously thought that it is was a play on words for Naruto... Laughing gomen ne'...
Hikaru_Kirei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of anime shows that usually have given me a bad first impression, though I have recently seen the first episode of this anime called "E's Otherwise". [The "E's" is pronounced "Esses". Has anyone heard, and or viewed this before?]

Nyuu...it was rather confusing at first. The plot seemed to splash around haphazardly, constantly skipping from one place and scene to another, so that was albeit irritating. Not only that, but it was a bit difficult to follow through. They had already gone by one year in one episode...and honestly, that's the most swift time span I have even seen.

The action that was played out seemed rather...unpleasing, to say the least. The beginning battle seemed too cliche' and focused too much on the glory of the main character and his already found rival. It had lost the feeling; the emotion and exhiliration you would see in a show.

It certainly did not make me prop at the edge of my seat.

Although, there were some postive facts about E's Otherwise. Wonderful art and music; In my opinion, a few of the greatest I have witnessed. Throughout the first episode, there was pleasing character development, with a great mystery that rather becomes addictive. The pit of curiousity captures your attention immidiately. However, the remainder plotline is bound to be lovely; personal feeling. ^-^

Last edited by Hikaru_Kirei on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

Last Exile was so boring for me at first! It took a dozen episodes or more before I actually started to enjoy it. It turned out to be very good, but it took a while.

I completely agree with you on this. Last exile was just so boring to watch from the start. To further my stress with this series I had purchased the boxset (possibly overpaid also) without seeing a single show. My buddy told me that this would be my kind of show. Well my worries were swept away with the introdution of Alex Rowe. Alex for myself was everything I love about a supporting cast member, it also helped that the voice acting was outstanding. Alex reminds me of Zechs/Miliardo, (For those of you who don't know this is my favorite character ever, but Tenma is catching him) a dark and mysterious character with a past that thirst for revenge. spoiler[Sad to see him go, but I felt the ending was very good to last exile (even though people complain about it) overall I am so very happy about watching this series.]

Last edited by Deltakiral on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Sonic X springs to mind as an anime that improves a lot over time.

Get Backers, although an awsome series overall, doesn't really "kick in" until about episode 15..
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:

I completely agree with you on this. Last exile was just so boring to watch from the start. To further my stress with this series I had purchased the boxset (possibly overpiad also) without seeing a single show. My buddy told me that this would be my kind of show. Well my worries were swept away with the introdution of Alex Rowe. Alex for myself was everything I love about a supporting cast member, it also helped that the voice acting was outstanding. Alex reminds me of Zechs/Miliardo, (For those of you who don't know this is my favorite character ever, but Tenma is catching him) a dark and mysterious character with a past that thirst for revenge. spoiler[Sad to see him go, but I felt the ending was very good to last exile (even though people complain about it) overall I am so very happy about watching this series.]

I caught Last Exile at ep 9-12 on Tech TV. Of course, these were some of the best episodes of the series IMHO. So when I bought the box set, I knew what I was getting myself into. The series from beginning to end is fantastic. Lavi is my favourite character from the series. I just love how she speaks her mind.

As for an anime that I thought started off bad, but gradually grew on me, that would be Fullmetal Alchemist. I started watching the series on Adult Swim at the same time as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and I may have found myself comparing the two. The only real exposure that I have had with Funimation had been the Lupin the Third movies and I really didn't find them to be very impressive. Plus, Git:SAC had the voice actors and actresses that I have grown to love over the years. Besides Cowboy Bebop, I think that FMA had the best start to a series ever, but I just had a hard time getting into it at first.

Episode 13 is where I really started to go from not liking the series to being on the fence about it. "Fullmetal vs. Flame" had some great moments to it. Still, the series hadn't endeared itself to me.

It wasn't until spoiler[Scar's first fight with the homunculi in episode 18 "Marcoh's Notes"] that I really got into the series. After purchasing the first two DVDs I have really become a big fan of FMA.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

Planetes! A perfect example of an anime that starts out bad! Compared to the goofy situations of the first dozen or so episodes, the drama of the last dozen comes as a shock. This anime is hugely under appreciated, and I think it’s because a lot of people stop watching before it gets good.

Yes, Planetes is vastly underappreciated, underrated, and undernoticed. . . . HOWEVER, I object to the saying that it started out bad. The series started out very well. I was hooked by only watching the first few. The thing is that Planetes is a hard science sci-fi kind of series and the first half of the series is to introduce you to the characters and to show the advances in technology compared to today for the very reason that this series contains ALOT of hard science (only series that I know of that consistantly keeps to the actual fact that in space, unless outside a body's gravitational field, constant thrust == constant acceleration, not constant velocity) and is sci-fi only because we don't know what the tech level will be at by the years planetes takes place in. This is something that may bore alot of people because the action isn't there much of the time. But that by no means means that planetes started out bad. It started well, brought the plot up at a good pace, and threw the viewer into the thick of things at the appropriate time.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:

Yes, Planetes is vastly underappreciated, underrated, and undernoticed. . . . HOWEVER, I object to the saying that it started out bad. The series started out very well. I was hooked by only watching the first few. The thing is that Planetes is a hard science sci-fi kind of series and the first half of the series is to introduce you to the characters and to show the advances in technology compared to today for the very reason that this series contains ALOT of hard science (only series that I know of that consistantly keeps to the actual fact that in space, unless outside a body's gravitational field, constant thrust == constant acceleration, not constant velocity) and is sci-fi only because we don't know what the tech level will be at by the years planetes takes place in. This is something that may bore alot of people because the action isn't there much of the time. But that by no means means that planetes started out bad. It started well, brought the plot up at a good pace, and threw the viewer into the thick of things at the appropriate time.

I just have to disagree, but perhaps only due to personal preferences. I dislike sci-fi as a whole, so I was pretty turned off by Planetes at first. I’m not the kind of person who needs constant action to enjoy something, and at times I even prefer a lack of it, so that certainly wasn’t the problem. However, due to my general dislike of science fiction, it took me a while to warm up to Planetes. I did like the incredible attention to detail, and the wide cast of characters from varying backgrounds from the beginning though, so I suppose it wasn’t an awful start, just a bit misleading. It seemed as though it would be a long, boring, “people living in space in the future! Waaahhh!” type of series, but it turned into a very moving drama.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I love it now, but I almost quit watching One Piece after the Buggy Arc. It was just ridiculous. I'm so glad I stuck around though. It becomes worth it...but those first 20 episodes are so hard to get into. I enjoy them more now, but I can see where a new viewer would be turned off.

Fullmetal Alchemist took a while to get going. I stopped watching it after the fourth episode, and only began watching it again because I was up for work early one morning and had nothing else to watch. A complete turnaround.

I might be alone in this, but I really thought Cowboy Bebop started off slow. I wasn't impressed at all by the first four episodes when I first watched them. I would've stopped watching the series if it weren't for episode five.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2