• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animation Versus Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikaru_Kirei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
These two titles puzzle me a bit, considering I've seen arguments from parties about this issue. Many defensive fans I've come to know bluntly state that anime is purely a Japanese term; only used for series derived in Japan.

However, anime is a Japanese word for "Animation". From what I can tell, many Japanese people consider our American shows here anime.

Do you believe that Anime is strictly on Japanese terms? Or do you oppose and are positive at the fact that Anime is any form of animation?

Last edited by Hikaru_Kirei on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Technically, they are the same, but I prefer to diferentiate between US and Japanese animation by using anime for Japanese animation and animation for US animation.

Also, isn't the word anime really a French word for animation?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hikaru_Kirei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Ooh..Okie dokies. ^-^

Erm..about the last question, I'm not quite so sure about the word's origin deriving from France. Perhaps it was an influence on the Japanese language...I suppose..? o.o;

From what I learned, Anime was a Japanese word. If not; Thankies very much for the cultural clarification. ^-^

Last edited by Hikaru_Kirei on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Hikaru_Kirei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
[Woopsies..awkward double post..]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Also, isn't the word anime really a French word for animation?

"Anime" originated in Japan as a shortening of the Katakana of the word "animation" ("a-ni-me-shu-n," or something like that), as shortening foreign words & long titles is apparently a popular thing in Japan (hell, we see it all the time in anime titles: "Eva," "Furuba," "KareKano," "SaiKano," etc.).

As I've heard, the French word "anime" isn't even grammatically applicable. But don't quote me on that; I don't speak French and I forgot exactly how that explanation went.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aokage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
When refering to a Japanese cartoon, I notice that I tend to say Japanese anime. That is perhaps, because in my mind, I know that anime is just the Japanese word for cartoon. Really, only westerners attempt to assimilate the word with a meaning that is skewed soley toward Japanese animation. Which logically makes sense. A Japanese term for a Japanese product...but in all accurate sense of the word, any cartoon is anime.
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

As I've heard, the French word "anime" isn't even grammatically applicable. But don't quote me on that; I don't speak French and I forgot exactly how that explanation went.

There's "dessin animé" meaning animated cartoon and there's the adjective "animé, animée" meaning... well, animated. Smile
However that doesn't proove that the origin of the word anime wasn't French because it's possible or even likely that a word looses its original meaning or grammatical form when adapted to another language...
I guess it's Japanese, though. I've also read something like Nagisa's explanation somewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1