• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guy needs help finding other good "unknown" anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neogamer1234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i'm into popular things, sorta...

if I like...

Get Backers
Bleach
Initial D
Love Hina
Maburaho
Fullmetal Alchemist
Prince of Tennis
Comic Party
inuyasha
Naruto
DNAngel
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Candidate for Goddess
Chobits
Abenobashi
FLCL

What other anime should I be looking into? That's because it seems like i'm starting to get tired of all of these, even though I've watched half of half the shows...

The only reason I said unknown is becuase all of these anime seem to be very popular...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
You're just into "popular" anime? Surely, you must have an actual preference for a particular genre, right?

I mean, if you're just watching these titles because they're popular and not because you're genuinely interested, then what's the point of watching anime at all?

Do you like comedy, action, drama, science fiction or anything?
neogamer1234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
action comedy...
Romantic comedy...
bit of drama...
I think just good storylines...

Yet I'm not sure what other shows to watch... or other manga to read...

I don't read/watch becuase they are popular, but I think I'm just looking for good storylines...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
You need to get Rune Soldier (Louie the Rune Soldier) then. One of the best action/adventure/fantasy/comedy that many people overlook. Louie is your lovable clumsy adventurer, much like Vash from Trigun. The story is pretty good too with a great sense of humor.
neogamer1234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Dang... you're right...

I always overlook it...

Barnes and Noble, Suncoast, and anime stores... I always overlook that...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Story, eh?

Rurouni Kenshin -- It's pretty popular, so you might've seen it. It's basically about the adventures of a wandering swordsman.

A great balance of action, drama, and comedy (from high to low in that order). I recommend going from the beginning to episode 62, and then watching the first OAV, Tsuioku-hen (a.k.a the crappy, bastardizing, but marketble misnomer "Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal"). I would also recommend you view it in the original Japanese dialogue, at least the first time through.

Great Teacher Onizuka -- Mostly comedy and drama. It's a "slice of life" series that has a lot of situations that might happen in real life.

It's the story of a former biker gang leader who becomes a teacher, inherits the worst class in the school, and turns them around into good kids. Although the way he does it and the stuff that happens in between is what makes the series so enjoyable.

The animation is OK, but the character designs are hilarious. You'll see them soon enough when Onizuka makes his signature facial expressions.

Catchy music here and there, bad dubbing, but I guarantee you'll find it funny in Japanese.

X (TV) -- Pre-apocolyptic story. Guy has to choose what side to fight on, but you could argue that each side is justified in what they're trying to fight for. Lots of talk about fate, destiny, and all that.

It has some of the best animation I've ever seen for a TV series, an epic soundtrack, and a very good dub.

I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything, but trust me, it's full of the action and drama you're looking for.

Kare Kano -- Best romantic comedy anime I've seen thus far. It's a shoujo title, but don't let that word fool you.

It's a high school romance/drama and is very character driven. The two main characters are well written and very realistic. I found myself relating to them in several aspects throughout the series and found the overall chemistry of the whole cast to be very enjoyable.

The music helps out a lot. Lots of piano and string pieces add a sense of serenity and supsense where needed. The artwork is nice, but the animation is a little grainy, but that's not this series' strong point. GREAT romance story with a good dose of comedy in between. I'd highly recommend it to fans of the romantic comedy genre.

I don't remember too much of the dub. I think everybody did a decent to good job, EXCEPT for the guy who plays Arima (the main boy character). He actually sounds 15 or 16 in the original Japanese, but he sounds WAY too old in the dub, at least twice his age (meaning you have a high school kid that sounds 30). Ugly, ugly and bad choice of casting. You may want to watch it in Japanese just to be safe.
--------------

Those are some popular titles I didn't see you list, so I apologize if you've already seen them.

I'll list some titles I think are a little under the radar at another time.
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Click here if you're looking for good anime but your not sure of what genre your looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
neogamer1234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
how bout manga to read cause I don't have much money...?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Buy manga online at ecampus, they're like 7 dollar per book with no tax and free shipping over 50 dollar.

Another option is to rent anime at places like animetakeou (in l.a.) or netflick. For like 20 bucks a month, you can check out about 15 dvd, if you watch it the same day you get it and ship it back the next day.

And I still recommend Rune Soldier.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry so much about an anime being "popular" or not. I mean...yeah there are some very trendy anime right now (Bleach and Naturo for example) but that sometimes can't be helped. I was into Samurai Champloo long before it was domestically released and long before it was ever done airing in Japan. I got a Geneon 2004 DVD sampler from my job, and I was instantly fascinated by the trailer. Low and behold just a few months later, it exploded into mass popularity. I bought Paranoia Agent Volume 1 on the day of its release just on a whim. Now six months later, it gained mass popularity. I saw Berserk before Dark Horse licensed the manga and before Media Blasters licensed the anime...in fact, I saw Berserk well over a year and a half before it got domestic exposure, and again, it blew up and became popular.

There is nothing wrong with liking a popular anime, to a degree it is just a reflection of your good taste. And while "obscure" anime is nice...it isn't always guaranteed to be that way. I mean I can name some anime i've seen that are far from popular, and with good reason. Take for instance Genocyber. It has the least coherent plot I have ever seen in any story ever written. A.D. Police is decent if you like Bubble Gum Crisis, but I thought it was garbage. Just the same, I have Sakura Diaries and it is one of my favorite anime of all time. So don't worry your head so much over popularity, and just hope for a good story. That is the point of watching anime after all.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:49 am Reply with quote
I suggest you watch Air or Basilisk if you haven't already. Though Basilisk isn't very much done yet. It has a great story line. Like Air does. I don't know if you've seen Scrapped Princess but that anime is good to.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
You should Watch Samurai Champloo or Chrono Crusade. They sort of fall in the catergory of the show Get Backers except it's less talking and more fighting.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I never saw X (tv), but I whole-heartedly second everything else Tony K reccomended. RK is one of the best historical fiction/samurai type shows I've seen. GTO is a gut-busting hilarious show. Kare Kano is my favorite romantic comdey BAR NONE.
What can I say? The man's got taste!
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Geobreeders is a good anime, its really funny
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
In no particular order of importance.

Romance:
Maison Ikkoku tv (classic Rumiko Takahashi) - hilarious, bittersweet love triangle, reminding us all that love springs eternal ever when we've given up on it

Video Girl Ai ovas - first time HS love w/a twist that anyone who's had their heart broken can understand

Mahoromatic tv - friendship that develops into a far greater relationship that the characters can imagine

Kimagure Orange Road tv, ovas, movies 1-2 - along the lines of

VGAi, but w/a twist of MI w/the love triange, great music

Whisper of the Heart movie - also a first love set up, but with the focus on improving oneself

Ah! Megami-sama aka Ah! My Goddess ovas - college love w/the discovery of looking beyond the surface, we can learn so much from Bell

Urusei Yatsura especially movies 3 & 5 (classic Rumiko Takahashi) - sometimes being the aggressor isn't a good thing. HS love mixed w/the laziness and wild adventures of youth.

Tenchi Muyo movie 1: TMIL - Sacrificing it all to protect those we love, this film ties the past and present together.

Fire Tripper ova (classic Rumiko Takahashi) - Shows what really matters, it isn't things, it is people and honestly, even though people in the past had a hard time, life was simpler then compared to now. Something you should really think about.

Nadia Secret of Blue Water tv - Love on so many levels, between a parent, friends and lovers. Watching love blossom in this series is a real joy.

Kokowa Greenwood aka Here's Greenwood OVAs - another HS love, one that shows nice guys don't always finish last, just like in MI

Sci-Fi/Mecha:
GunBuster OVAs = one of the BEST OVAs every created. Beautiful character designs by Mikimoto, incredible, motivating storylines that made you appreciate what you had. One of the best animes ever created.

Iczer-1, Iczer 3 OVAs - classic Toshihiro Hirano art and storylines. This series was perhaps the last ones he actually lent his character design talents to, which IMO a huge pity. His art is gorgeous!

Dangaioh OVAs - another Hirano series, left open ended but the series itself, reminscient of the 70s mecha anime series ... had great battles, HUGE pan sequences. At one time I counted over 40 in one OVA! Also the team that worked on this series would later work on Macross, Escaflowne, Patlabor and other classic series.

Patlabor OVAs, tv and movies 1-2 = this series was one of the ones that made me expect MORE from animes. By that I mean more than visual candy, Goto and so many other characters/storylines really presented themselves like a detective story. If you could follow along, IMO it made the ride so much more enjoyable. Oh and the voice actors were incredible!

Dirty Pair OVAs, movies and specials = this is a series that time and fans have largely forgotten as with almost all of the series listed. However, funny situations, beautiful art, great music and most importantly two ladies who made you believe badluck really is hard to shake off.

Battle Angel Alita aka GUNNM = excellent animation, battles, and explores the age old question, "who am I?"

Guns:
City Hunter tv, specials = hilarious and the only series that I can say really made me want to believe guns could protect people. Still I know it's just a show but incredible 80s music, funny interactions and mokkari!

GunSmith Cats = good gun fights and car chases

Most of these are forgotten over time, so look into them. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2