• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Money better spent? Anime or Manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
I notice, ever since coming to the states, that I've had to make a decision between ANIME and MANGA...

err... this isn't a debate as to which is better, it's more based on which are you more willing to spend on...

back in my old country *you all probably know by now where I'm from*

I use to get manga all the time, but then this is mainly because licensed manga is easier to get than R1 or R3 anime on DVD

but ever since I got here, I haven't really bought any manga and have used pretty much ALL my money on DVDs *The last thing I got was the last volume of TOKYO BABYLON... there needs to be an animated version immediately*

I mean,there's a lot of DVDs...

so I'm wondering, does anyone have the same problem? *can't handle both?*

It sorta feels incomplete now since I have a lot of MANGA pending... *I need the new CCS re-issue for example*

also, now I'm even thinking that, even if I like the MANGA version better... would it somehow be more worth it to get the anime DVDs in the end? *Azumanga isn't really applicable though, I have all the manga, but haven't moved outside of the third DVD...

cromartie high on the other hand, I do like the manga better *like AZU* but I don't think I will bother getting the rest of the manga...

so yeah, what do you guys think?

Last edited by DKL on Mon May 30, 2005 4:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
This topic has come up before, one here and one here.

As for Tokyo Babylon, there is an anime version. And a sequel. And the one of the last chapters is featured in the X TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
err... I know of the OAVs and the finale in X, I'm just saying a real TV adaption... that would be nice

and again, this isn't really a debate as to which is better... it's more of a conflit that appears because of money issues *and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem*

I personally enjoy collecting both, and if it were up to me, I would own the ANIME AND MANGA version of a series...

but I just CAN'T *which is lame*

... hmmm... but then it sort of falls under the same thing... but then it's not the same thing *you know?*

... let's not go into the cases where the manga is RADICALLY different from the anime *I can't seem to think of any examples at the moment though...*
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
okay, lemme come up with a better example using price points....

for example...

MANGA X is 10$ a graphic novel

there are about 14 GNs which in the long run is about 140$

said manga has an anime called ANIME X

it runs for about... 26 episodes, and a box set omes out at 150$ *or something*

I mean, I know there is this distintion where you like the manga or the anime over one another, but the problem is, what if you like BOTH and have the urge to spend money on both, but just... CAN'T

isn't that kinda lame?

anyway, I would most likely go for the anime, had I not had the manga already...

you just add 10$ or so *or in some cases, I think the anime is cheaper than getting the entire collection of manga*

and you get several DVDs...

I hope this clears things up a bit
Aokage

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:35 am Reply with quote
I find manga to be a more rewarding purchase. In time consumption, a manga will last me about the same amount of time as a DVD (about an hour to an hour and a half). But manga is half the price. I usually space out my anime buying. I bought Paranoia Agent Vol.1 back in December...I didn't buy any new anime until this month, when I bought Ikkitousen Vol.1. But I buy manga all the time.
Gemini Angel

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Though they are expensive I would say manga they're the original and a lot of the time better than the anime though they are expensive. You can just rent anime or watch it on television.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
good point...

for me it's different I guess, because I can scan through a 150 page manga in 30 minutes and still enjoy and look at the pictures and stuff *yes, the experience ends that fast for me...*

but I keep doing the math *er... weighing* and I usually come up with anime being cheaper... okay, for a matter of comparison, I'll use a title...

FRUITS BASKET *for the moment, disregard what you like better to follow me*

The ANIME covers about 8 VOLUMES of the manga

so that *manga* would cost me 80 dollars... on a more shallow level, it's 80$ worth of black and white pages with tones and text and what not

but then, I got the box set for the anime recently and it was around 59$ for all 4 DVDs

I get moving pictures *hahaha* color, dual audio, subtitles *when you think about it, subs for an anime is a more "Japanese" experience since you get the ACTUAL language with it... I think the losest I've seen for this in a manga is the BILINGUAL Cardcaptor Sakura manga*

DVD extras and so on and so forth

actually, from you posts, I think you guy DO have the same problem, but in this case, you chose manga instead

it really seems that most of us can't do both Confused *I'm in awe of the lameness of the situation*

yeah, you can watch ANIME on TV, but if you don't have TAN, it feels kinda limited...

and at the same time, I can read manga at BARNES or something, and since I finish up fast, it's incredibly efficient that I do this

as far as Re-reading goes... I think I've really only done this a lot with KODOCHA, but that's about it *like 5 or 6 times*... I can't seem to pick up titles that I really like more than twice or thrice...

I sort of wish that manga was priced like how it is in Japan, but of course, nothing works that way

but if we keep on buying, prices will drop eventually... I can't vouch for when we switchover formats though... but that's another topic...

so yeah, anyone else?

Last edited by DKL on Mon May 30, 2005 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
it [anime] runs for about... 26 episodes, and a box set omes out at 150$ *or something*

$150? That all depends on how long your willing to wait. Persoanlly, I would never spend that much on a series; I always wait until a "perfect collection" or some such thing come out, that way your $150 set sells for $70-$90, much more reasonable. Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
well... I wasn't using any titles...

but I think my FRUITS BASKET example makes a lot of sense
Acolyte

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I tend to get into the same boggle from time-to-time; and it usually leaves me sitting frustrated in a corner somewhere, teeth gritted, hands skratching fast and furiously at my head like I have lice: then the kids come and douse me with water, tie me in a stylish jacket with wrap-around sleeves, and leave me lie on the couch until the froth stops foaming from my mouth.... Anime hyper *pant-pant-pant* yeeks, better stop it, I feel another episode coming on and the kids are with their mother: anyway where was I....

Oh yeah, limit money and unlimited choices between anime and manga Anime dazed : uh, manga, no, wait, anime, uh...uh...uh...hold on, gotta go douse my head in the toilet.....

ah, better Neutral : sadly, I tend to get carried away with both, thus the sad empty and depleted state of my bank account. Take this weekend; I hit B&N and picked up Hellsing 6, Fruits Basket and Ai Yori Aoshi 9, and Mohoromatic 4 (and almost 5); poof!! $45: but before that I picked up Rahxephon the complete collection and the original Gunbusters complete. How sad is that Embarassed ! Fortunately this was an atypical weekend and I don't do stuff like this often. I just happened to swing by B&N on the way home from running errands and happened to be in a liberal mood (usually I'm a skin-flint).

I try to stick to about 4 manga a month (one a week) and tend to budget about $50 a month for anime (box/complete sets where possible), so I not usually so out of control. If I notice the drool forming at the corners of my mouth early enough I hide my credit/debit cards and wrap myself in the long-sleeved jacket myself; thus avoiding the douse with water should the kids catch me first...... Wink
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
For me, money isn't the deciding factor. Not that I'd have too much of it, but I think some anime or manga are just worth spending a little more.

Maybe I slightly prefer spending my money on manga because I'm an incorrigibly nostalgic. Wink I just like holding a book in my hands and turning the pages (instead of pushing a dvd into my player)... Very Happy
I also get more easily fed up with watching anime than with reading, because IMHO watching TV is much more passive. What's more: You can take your beloved manga everywhere you go. But that would probably lead to a general manga vs. anime discussion, which isn't the point here I guess. I'll shut up then. Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Acolyte wrote:
I tend to get into the same boggle from time-to-time; and it usually leaves me sitting frustrated in a corner somewhere, teeth gritted, hands skratching fast and furiously at my head like I have lice: then the kids come and douse me with water, tie me in a stylish jacket with wrap-around sleeves, and leave me lie on the couch until the froth stops foaming from my mouth.... Anime hyper *pant-pant-pant* yeeks, better stop it, I feel another episode coming on and the kids are with their mother: anyway where was I....

yup, the same thing here, I wanna set up a budget of 40$ a month for MANGA, but I just end up getting more and more DVDs...

maybe it'll stop when I finally get the stuff I liked before into my collection... I'm doing pretty good so far, and I feel that I'll be able to get newer titles soon *the ones I haven't seen yet*

smutchi wrote:
For me, money isn't the deciding factor. Not that I'd have too much of it, but I think some anime or manga are just worth spending a little more.

Maybe I slightly prefer spending my money on manga because I'm an incorrigibly nostalgic. Wink I just like holding a book in my hands and turning the pages (instead of pushing a dvd into my player)... Very Happy
I also get more easily fed up with watching anime than with reading, because IMHO watching TV is much more passive. What's more: You can take your beloved manga everywhere you go. But that would probably lead to a general manga vs. anime discussion, which isn't the point here I guess. I'll shut up then. Very Happy

I actually don't like bringing manga around since I might damage it or something Shocked

but yeah, this is pretty much a thread about money... how... different...
El Oso

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked to buy anime DVD's over manga. The cost seems to be about equal with me. I take around half an hour reading a manga volume and a typical 3 ep DVD is roughly twice as long and double the price. So with budget issues I usually have to choose one or the other. At least with manga if I want to read it badly enough I can go to the bookstore for a couple of hours and read like a madman Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1