• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
any good finished manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
are there any good mangas out now that have an ending? i'm sick pf series that just drag on forever.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
Just a few quick ones for you:

Alice 19th
Imadoki
Wild Act
coming out soon: Midori no Hibi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 concluded at 10 volumes recently... I can't wait to get the last two volumes. :3
cell21

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
are there any good mangas out now that have an ending? i'm sick pf series that just drag on forever.

What type of manga do you like for starters?

Azumanga
A.I Love you
CONfidential confessions
Love Hina
GTO 'just two volumes to go'
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Tons, you just have to know where to look:
Planetes (5 volumes)
Black and White (3 volumes)
Nausicaa (7 volumes)
Domu (1 volume)
Uzumaki (3 volumes)
Dance till Tommorow (7 volumes)
Imadoki (5 volumes)
Blue Spring (1 volume)
Paradise Kiss (5 volumes)
There aren't too many short shonen mangas (ones that are good anyway), and none come to mind now (Midori no Hibi is a good series that's only 8 volumes though).
yaoi gurl00
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
hey,here are a couple that actully have endings(i hate when the drag on too)
imadoki-bye yu watase
alice 19th-same
vampire game
juvinelle orion
until the full moon
shalion sisters...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HunterJumper197

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
MARS by fuyumi soryo is really good. It is 15 volumes long plus a short story that appears in Horse with no name.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
GTO has one more volume, so you may want to look into that as well.
closeteater

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
well...I can name some, but I'm not sure if they would fit your interests...(shounan or shoujo) I can name some with definate end dates as well in case you might want to look into them
(pardon if I seem off topic in places):

Shoujo:
Did you look into CLAMP? they have a pile of finished series (ie. the 'cardcaptor' series) typically you can find these at a waldenbooks. The 'Cardcaptor Sakura' is twelve books long or so...it's two seperate series in fact, but closely connected to eachother.

Unclassed:
Juvenile Orion: (fantasy/romance) I'm not sure whether it's shounan or shoujo manga, but Juvenile Orion is DONE, you may have problems finding the whole series together on a shelf...but on the bright side it's only five books long.

Demon Diary: (fantasy/humor) Demon Diary is another I am unsure of, it has a fight scene all through book six, but it's not quite 'girly'. It's quite humorous, though as a warning, one of the extra stories on the end of volume 1 is shounan-ai (only trying to warn you). Demon Diary is seven books long, and has been available at every large bookstore I've gone to.

Shounan:
I know for certain that Saiyuke has an end count at book nine. Currently it's out up to book seven. It's rated OT though, so it may have some content 'issues' depending on your age.

hmm...that's all I can think of at the moment...I hope it helps you. *bows*
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

Oooh, I've wanted to read Black and White for a long time, but I've been through hell and back trying to find it... Guess I'll check online next. I've only seen the Japanese version, and I LOVE that art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:

Oooh, I've wanted to read Black and White for a long time, but I've been through hell and back trying to find it... Guess I'll check online next. I've only seen the Japanese version, and I LOVE that art.

Black and White is one of my absolute favorite series. The surreality and bizarreness definitally drew me in, but it offers far more than that. There's a whole lot going on in the story, with random acts of violence reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange (minus the rape), quirky dialogue (one of the best translations I've seen), awesome art and a story of a city being "made moral" by a corperation that's an obvious take on Disney. But at the core it's a truly touching portrail of friendship. The ending is a simply beautiful. I know I'm going off on a bit of a rant, but I just can't express how amazing Black and White is; it's just got to be experienced.
It's unfortunatally out of print, but you can actually order the 2nd and 3rd volumes from the Viz website at a very low price. I believe the 1st is at amazon, thought you can probobly find a site that has all three. I got mine during a big sale my comicbook store had, and they've become increasingly rare as Taiyo Matsumoto has gained a sort of cult following. Hopefully Viz will reprint it along with finishing Matsumoto's No.5. But definitally check his stuff out, especially since I can recall you being a fan of Junko Mizuno (he's pretty diffrent than her, but his stuff has alot of the same kind of appeal).
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
It's unfortunatally out of print, but you can actually order the 2nd and 3rd volumes from the Viz website at a very low price. I believe the 1st is at amazon, thought you can probobly find a site that has all three. I got mine during a big sale my comicbook store had, and they've become increasingly rare as Taiyo Matsumoto has gained a sort of cult following. Hopefully Viz will reprint it along with finishing Matsumoto's No.5. But definitally check his stuff out, especially since I can recall you being a fan of Junko Mizuno (he's pretty diffrent than her, but his stuff has alot of the same kind of appeal).

I went to my favorite comic store today and actually saw volumes two and three of Black and White for the first time ever! I picked them up, but I don't want to read them until I get volume one. (I have kind of a thing about reading manga in the correct order.) And speaking of Junko Mizuno, I also found Secret Comics Japan today, which is just phenomenal! I've been wanting to read Usamaru's Palepoli for the longest time, and I finally got to (some of it, anyway). I still like Short Cuts better, but this was great as well, and very smart. And Mizuno was fantastic, as usual. I really want to find some back issues of Pulp now; I feel like I've missed out on a lot of great stuff (I didn't start reading manga seriously until three years ago, and I only discovered the underground stuff about a year and a half ago..) I also found graphic novels 1-12 of Parasyte, which I've also wanted to read, but I didn't want to spend too much in one day (I also purchased Barefoot Gen while I was there...) so I'm hoping that they will stay ignored until I have a chance to go back (I'm not telling which store it is, for any of you Minneapolis folks; I don't wanna lose them! Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
I finally managed to read Secret Comics Japan a couple of months ago, and overall I loved it. Some of the stories weren't really all that amazing but as a hole it was refreshing to read without the pretentious attitude sometimes associated with alternative comics. Recently I've been reading a ton of great manga that's not quite mainstream, but not exacally what was in SCJ. A couple of things deserve mention like the unlicenced works of Naoki Yamamoto (author of Dance till Tommorow, my favorite seinen romance after Maison Ikkoku) and Atsushi Kaneko. Kaneko is one of the most original and amazing artists I've seen in a while, and his storytelling is brilliant as well. DMP is releasing Bambi and Her Pink Gun soon, which is his most well know series, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Grico

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
chobits has 8 books and the storyline is resolved.
To heart has 3 volumes.
Kodocha has 9 volumes.
dukeofme

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
well all i can offer you on finnished manga is the new series Eerie Queerie Very Happy its a good one you should check it out the next time your at a bookstore Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2