• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon Questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Dear Readers,
I have some questions about the anime Pokemon. If you know what the deal about it is please post here.

1. Was Pokemon footage edited? Are there any episodes not released in the U.S.? If so, why?
2. Were all the character names changed? (Not counting Pikachu)
3. Was the japanese language track released in the U.S.? If not, why?
4. Were any plots changed?
5. And the licencing.... did 4Kids get everything to Pokemon? (TV episodes,movies,video games, card games, etc) After all, the shows been running for five years, still with new episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot was changed. A few things such as Misty slapping Ash was cut out. Some Jokes were also toned down. It's probably 4kids' only decent dub. BUt they did not show 3 episodes. One episode had James cross-dressing and had some breast jokes. ANother episode had guns. One other episode was never shown because it caused a lot of seizures in Japan.

Edit: Most of the names were changed. The dvds are dub-only. Nintendo owns most of the franchise.
takkunthecat

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
if you want original pokemon epsidoes (who would?) try ebay, they have lots of good anime at a good prize and some animes that haven't even been dubbed you can buy subbed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:
try ebay, they have lots of good anime at a good *price and some animes that haven't even been dubbed you can buy subbed.

There's a name for anime releases like that: Bootlegs.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:
if you want original pokemon epsidoes (who would?) try ebay, they have lots of good anime at a good prize and some animes that haven't even been dubbed you can buy subbed.
Rolling Eyes Some people just never learn.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
One episode had James cross-dressing and had some breast jokes.

Acctually, I believe that particular episode was aired like... a year or two later, much later infact, and was labeled as "the lost episode". They showed as much as the bathing suit contest up to the point where Jesse and James show up, where for the duration of that sequence, it was cut out. It was basically edited out for obvious reasons, though in the end, the episode did air.

Reading into the encyclopedia, it was aired in the U.S. as episode No. 100 on 062400.
--------

In regards to the poster's questions...

(note that any real specific information on dates and episode numbers are from the encylopedia. oddly enough though, I still remember the generic information on all of these enough to look them up)

1) As stated before, the major edits basically start with any vocal track that ever plays throughout the series (which are replaced by English songs made especally for the series), in order to not alienate children by playing japanese music completely out of context.

Sometimes, in most cases, the plots of episodes, or motives within, are usually somewhat edited to suit western audiences, and for other reasons. Plot and dialog is basically a case by case basis.

The most famous episodes which didn't see the light of day included the infamous seizure episode (in case you're picky, this was episode No. 038: Dennou Senshi Porigon (Electric Soldier Porygon) aired on 121697), and another one due to gun is pointed at Satoshi/Ash, or so I believe (No. 035: Miniryuu no Densetsu (The Legend of Dratini) aired on 112597)), and the last one not-aired episode of the first Pokemon run was due to the appearence of the Pokemon Jynx, whom people complained was a racial stereotype of black people (acctually, this one I needed a bit of help on, but all I know was I think it was Episode No. 252: The Ice Cave (I'm not quite sure of the Japanese name)).

Also, many people seem to remember the infamous riceballs/donuts. =P

2) I believe virtually nearly all the Pokemon's names are changed, as well as virtually every trainer. The main cause of this was to basically make it friendlier for western audiences, and also is sort of a case by case basis again. The main ones are Ash/Satoshi (as in Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon) and Gary/Shigiru (as in Shigiru Miyamoto, basically the creator of the Super Mario franchise as well being basically the father of Nintendo), and the supporting characters Misty/Kasumi, Brock/Takeshi, Jesse/Musashi, and James/Kojirou. There are a ton of other name edits which were made basically for the same reasons. Oddly enough, some names never changed for no real apparent reason (aka, Erika, Koga, Sakura, and obviously Pikachu)

3) No. It wasn't. Basically, don't quote me on this, but because the biggest audience was children, who already are very content with the translated verson. People who wanted the japanese language track or bilingual releases were simply the minority, and not much profit would ensue from such a release. Besides, the 4Kids production of Pokemon is probably IMO their best treatment of a series ever. The original music track (at least the instrumental non-vocal ones) is in tact with it's original Japanese track, which is unlike most other 4Kids series which see entire track edits including the music. Also, the dubbing is usually very professional, and deserves some credit for it's execution.

4) Refer to question 1. Basically, the entire idea of the Pokemon world stays in tact. However, individual episode plot changes are done on a case by case basis, and it'd take a ridiculiously long amount of time to list them all.

5) My belief is (again don't quote me on this) is that 4Kids only really has control over the animated series, and whatever Nintendo gives them control over. Basically, Nintendo still directly produces and distrubtes the Games, and other closely related products. Viz has the rights to the Manga (at least last time I checked, like... a long time ago.), but Nintendo is still the majority owner.

Ah. Good ol' nostalgia. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Acctually, I believe that particular episode was aired like... a year or two later, much later infact, and was labeled as "the lost episode". They showed as much as the bathing suit contest up to the point where Jesse and James show up, where for the duration of that sequence, it was cut out. It was basically edited out for obvious reasons, though in the end, the episode did air.

I remember that ep., it was about the girl with the psychic giraffe pokemon and you're right, I don't remember any boob jokes.
Quote:
The most famous episodes which didn't see the light of day included the infamous seizure episode (in case you're picky, this was episode No. 038: Dennou Senshi Porigon (Electric Soldier Porygon) aired on 121697), and another one due to gun is pointed at Satoshi/Ash, or so I believe (No. 035: Miniryuu no Densetsu (The Legend of Dratini) aired on 112597)), and the last one not-aired episode of the first Pokemon run was due to the appearence of the Pokemon Jynx, whom people complained was a racial stereotype of black people (acctually, this one I needed a bit of help on, but all I know was I think it was Episode No. 252: The Ice Cave (I'm not quite sure of the Japanese name)).

Originally that's why I started watching PokeMon: I suffer from a seizure disorder and back in the day, I would get close to the TV and watch Pikachu's Thundershock to see in it would induce a seizure in me (I never said I was a sane person Wink). Also, another edit which I've heard about happened in the episode where children were acting like pokemon due to Hypno's Hypnosis attack. Some mother who mistook Ash for her child grabbed him and buried his head in her chest. The edit was when Ash removed his head, he was sorta laughing with a dazed expression on his face. Also, I heard there was an edit in the episodes leading to Brock leaving for the first time. There was an edit involving Professor Ivy (her of the bountiful bosoms) and the gang and it probably was either a boob joke or something similar to the edit listed earlier.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Originally that's why I started watching PokeMon: I suffer from a seizure disorder and back in the day, I would get close to the TV and watch Pikachu's Thundershock to see in it would induce a seizure in me (I never said I was a sane person Wink).[

Riiiighttt. =/

The Frankman wrote:
Also, I heard there was an edit in the episodes leading to Brock leaving for the first time.

Also, I just remembered but Brock/Takeshi's backstory was another somewhat subtile, yet notible edit. In the american version, it was stated that spoiler[his mother died.] In the original japanese version, spoiler[his mother acctually just upright deserts the children instead. (also, doing a bit of research, apparently, in the offical novelization for the story, the original plot was that his mother married and divorced 9 times, and in the end, left the kids to persue her own life, and furthermore, Takeshi's father never returned.)]

This was edited, probably because something of such would probably not be suitible for younger audiences here.

The Frankman wrote:
There was an edit involving Professor Ivy (her of the bountiful bosoms) and the gang and it probably was either a boob joke or something similar to the edit listed earlier.

There was acctually an edit of her? I remember watching the U.S. dub, and I remember that her breasts were of a ridiculiously ji-normous size. Like... insanely.

How were children not to notice that? =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

Originally that's why I started watching PokeMon: I suffer from a seizure disorder and back in the day, I would get close to the TV and watch Pikachu's Thundershock to see in it would induce a seizure in me (I never said I was a sane person Wink).

Riiiighttt. =/

I get that alot. I thought it was funny. How sad I was to learn the flashes had been dimmed for the U.S. audience. Hey, I was 16-17 then, I was experimenting!
Quote:
Also, I just remembered but Brock/Takeshi's backstory was another somewhat subtile, yet notible edit. In the american version, it was stated that spoiler[his mother died.] In the original japanese version, spoiler[his mother acctually just upright deserts the children instead. (also, doing a bit of research, apparently, in the offical novelization for the story, the plot was that his mother married and divorced 9 times, and in the end, left to persue her own life, and furthermore, Takeshi's father never returned.)]

Actually I meant when he left the group to stay with Prof. Ivy.
Quote:
There was acctually an edit of her? I remember watching the U.S. dub, and I remember that her breasts were of a ridiculiously ji-normous size. Like... insanely. How were children not to notice that? =/

I love the word gynormous Very Happy. Also, don't forget another famous large-chested Pokemon trainer, Prima. I mean come on now, the whole time Ash was trying to battle her I'm surprised he didn't lose because he was hypnotized by... ok, I'm stopping right now before I get off-post.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

I get that alot. I thought it was funny. How sad I was to learn the flashes had been dimmed for the U.S. audience. Hey, I was 16-17 then, I was experimenting!

Dude. I am "16-17", and I'm still paranoid that my stereo speakers will give me cancer if I put my head between them. =/

The Frankman wrote:

I love the word gynormous Very Happy. Also, don't forget another famous large-chested Pokemon trainer, Prima. I mean come on now, the whole time Ash was trying to battle her I'm surprised he didn't lose because he was hypnotized by... ok, I'm stopping right now before I get off-post.

How do those things stay up? 0_-;

By the way, for good suggestive themes, play Pokemon Puzzle League. Especially as Sabrina. Definately. =P
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Or play Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monster Coliseum. Good lord, it seemed that Mai Valentine spent all those duelist winnings on some augmentation.

We're REALLY getting off-topic now. Laughing
biliano

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
By the way, for good suggestive themes, play Pokemon Puzzle League. Especially as Sabrina. Definately. =P

Oh, man, I loved that game! If it wasn't for Super Mario 64, I would have said that Pokemon Puzzle League was the best Nintendo 64 game that I ever played. It was highly addictive! Very Happy Believe it or not, I still have them (both the game and the system).
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
YourNeighborTotoro wrote:

4. Were any plots changed?

Well,4Kids' biggest edit to date is probably the decision to change Bashou into a woman in the 'Raikou:Legend of Thunder' special.That's right,4Kids is now yet another company among others that have changed bishounen into women.

The funny thing about this decision is that plenty of other bishounen characters have appeared in the anime before without any edits whatsoever (hell,they kept a transvestite intact in one of the original 52 episodes),and they have never edited out James' sporadic crossdressing.Also,Bashou did NOT act overly effeminate (as bishounens sometimes do) in the special either.

And as if that wasn't enough,4Kids changed 2 characters names whose original english names were already established in the dub before.Edits for content/cultural reasons are one thing,but that is just blatant unprofessionalism.This isn't the first time 4Kids has done this either.They've pulled crap like this on other persons,places,and things in the anime before as well.

So,all of this came as quite a shock to the Pokemon Community and fans are generally pissed off about these edits because the Raikou Special is considered one of the best story-arcs in the Pokemon anime.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
Well, considering how large Pokemon is and the episodic nature of its continuity, it's not hard to make mistakes like that, especially considering if there is more than one peson producing scripts. James's flamboyant cross-dressing is more often than not meant for comedy, as the general idea of someone dressing up as a woman is funny to people (the only people who'd actually complain would be people who wouldn't watch Pokemon in the first place).

I guess the Pokemon community (the kids who don't care and the five people on IRC) just has to take one for the team Smile
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Well, considering how large Pokemon is and the episodic nature of its continuity, it's not hard to make mistakes like that, especially considering if there is more than one peson producing scripts.

Which is why most fans didn't care about the mistakes in the first place.Only the most 'otaku' of fans would say "OMG they said 'Seaform' Island instead of Seafoam Island! 4Kids is teh suck." But now with the release of the Raikou special,these "mistakes" are getting pretty darn annoying.Really,renaming characters that already had dub names is pushing it.How about a little more respect for the property that made 4Kids what they are today?

Steventheeunuch wrote:

James's flamboyant cross-dressing is more often than not meant for comedy, as the general idea of someone dressing up as a woman is funny to people

Obviously.But the point is that they've left the cross-dressing James' and the 'Astounding Mandy's' intact.Along with James acting all "girly" and such.But why Bashou? Why make *him* into the woman? The only feminine thing about Bashou was his appearance.THAT'S IT.He is a cold hearted bastard if you ever get to watch the Raikou Special.(you would also notice that he has a distinct deep masculine voice)

If I were to compare Bashou to other anime characters,it'd be like 4Kids changing Bakura into a woman or Funimation doing the same with Kurama.Changing them into women based solely on appearance.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

I guess the Pokemon community (the kids who don't care and the five people on IRC) just has to take one for the team :)

Boooo...... :P

Well,if you ever browse through any of the popular Pokemon forums you might notice that there are fans of all ages.There are the kids of course,teenagers (who even they technically aren't supposed to be watching this anime XD),and then the older crowd like myself.Pokemon ain't no Evangelion,Ghost in the Shell,Cowboy Bebop,FMA,or even Naruto.(well,could be like Naruto if it had more of the fighting and the blood and whatnot...) It's just a family show with a pretty interesting mythos where every now and then things can get intense.That's why *I* like it. =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2