• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Practise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:06 am Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for nearly a year now... and i've watched quite a bit during that period. When I watch a series that I saw in my early days of anime I see how much I missed and think 'how did i like that if i didn't even get it'. Now I can basically anticipate what is going to be said without looking at the subtitles (if it is in context of course), so now i will get to the point. Even though anime has subtitles or is dubbed... do you think you need to practice watching anime before you understand everything that is happening in it entirely???? I mean I made the huge mistake of starting my friend on anime by watching Naruto.... even though Sasuke and Sakura are named frequently, at episode 50 he is still calling Sakura SASUKAA and Sasuke SOKURAAA.... he just can't differentiate between the names and i'm not sure if he understands the story line at all, i shouldn'tve started on a series with SO many episodes and plots and characters etc, but do you think Naruto is the ultimate anime that you only fully understand after watching endless series varying from sci-fi to harem because it does have so many episodes and plots and submeanings etc.(of course I'm not naming Naruto as the ULTIMATE anime, i'm just saying anime like naruto with similar episodes etc, do you think that there is nothing beyond them).
msi435

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
I get what you’re trying to say, it dose take time build a memory for Japanese names and stuff. I still sometimes have a hard time putting faces to Japanese names in animes, especially insignificant characters. As for understanding anime more over the course of time you watch anime, I'm not sure weather that is the case or it was the fact that I was to young to really understand some of the concepts in anime when I was younger…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I suppose it's different for each person, and for each anime. I'm so used to Japanese names now that an issue like your friend's wouldn't even come up, but I can understand where he's coming from. The first time I saw X the movie, about six years ago, I had a really hard time keeping everyone's names apart, and even who was on who's side! As far as Naruto goes, I don't think it's one of the harder series to understand. I think you made a pretty good choice. Imagine introducing him to anime with something like Serial Experiments Lain or the first Ghost in the Shell film, both of which require multiple viewings (to get the story straight and because they're just so good!)
I find myself re-watching titles I saw a long time ago (Lain is one of them) and wondering how I was able to sit through it and not get utterly and completely lost. Which I still am, a little, but I think that's just the way it goes. Wink I think that anime "practice" just happens naturally as you watch more of it.
Anyway, I think you're a lot smarter than me, who has been showing Mindgame (it lives up to its title) to practically everyone I know. It's a great, great film, but barely even falls under the category of "anime" (I think, anyway) and you need to watch it, like, 10,000 times to fully appreciate it (I'm currently at my 11th or 12th viewing... and counting).

Now here's what I've been wondering. How long does it take for people starting out to aquire a certain taste for a particular genre/area of anime? I mean, right now, anime fans have many more options for them than I did when I first got into it. I had, what... Akira and a few Streamline video releases... and then Sailor Moon when it appeared on TV in syndication. But anyway, I used to be in a mindset like "Wow, this Japanese animation (people still called it that ^^; ) stuff is really neat! I have to watch everything I can get my hands on!" Which led to watching a lot of crap. Eventually I learned what my tastes were and what kind of titles I should avoid, but it took me a good two or three years. How long has it taken other people? I imagine with internet fansubs and hundreds of anime DVDs on the shelf at Suncoast and rental stores that finding a preference is easier for new fans now, but I've never asked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Now here's what I've been wondering. How long does it take for people starting out to aquire a certain taste for a particular genre/area of anime?.... How long has it taken other people?

Hm, good question... I guess I didn't find my drama niche till i started watching all the miyazaki films not released in America about two years ago... so… (Let’s do the math here) I started seriously watching anime in 96' or 97', so I guess it took me roughly 6 or 7 years to find my niche?! Wow haha... but hey I was young and didn't really go out of my way to get a series or movie because I didn't have any money. I would mainly just watch anime at my cousin’s house. When I got a job I bought all the anime I wanted until I started to move towards the drama category when I saw whisper of the heart (awww, Anime smallmouth That brings back so many fond memories).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it definitely takes practice. Before, I was one of those people who...stereotyped heavily against anime, and I couldn't stand anything with remotely large eyes. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I still don't like overly cute anime now, but my tolerance has grown quite a bit. It definitely took me some time reading Shonen Jump before I got the hang of the names. Now I don't really have any trouble reading the names if I just take it syllable by syllable. There are certain aspects of anime that I have grown used to, but I'm not sure how to explain it...if I think of one though, I'll be back to edit.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I have long held the notion that some anime titles are much more accessible to non-anime fans than others. It can take a while to develop an understanding and appreciation for some of the quirks of standard anime conventions, such as nosebleeds as a symbol of sexual arousal, characters suddenly falling to the floor when something really stupid is said, just about anything about magical girl anime, why super-advanced mecha are almost always entrusted to teenagers, and so forth. Series that use the elements heavily, or parody aspects of anime or Japanese society, are not effective things to show to anime newbies. (I would never dream of showing a series like Excel Saga to someone generally unfamiliar with anime, for instance.) I have found that, if you are very selective about what you show to others, you can gradually coax people that wouldn't otherwise think twice about anime into watching it.

Akira, as confusing as it can be, is a good starter title because one doesn't have to know a thing about anime to appreciate it. The same can be said for most any Miyazaki film or anything Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent) has done. Scrapped Princess would be an excellent choice for a non-anime person who's into fantasy because there's little specifically anime styling about it, while Fullmetal Alchemist probably wouldn't be a good choice because it is heavily influenced by anime styling. I've had good reaction promoting Ai Yori Aoshi to my sister, a non-anime person, so that would probably be another good choice.

Hmmm. That sounds like a topic that might be worth doing as an article sometime. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Apologies, it appears I somehow had a double-post here. Embarassed

Last edited by Key on Tue May 24, 2005 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
philg

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now here's what I've been wondering. How long does it take for people starting out to aquire a certain taste for a particular genre/area of anime?.... How long has it taken other people?

It's weird with me because I watched almost all of the Miyazaki films after seeing Spirited Away and I was obsessed, then I thought 'wait if all anime is like this, why is it not the most popular thing in the world' so I went to the video store and rented Rurouni Kenshin, Hellsing and Berserk out within a time period of about a month. I soon found out I had an immediate natural love for anime and i found it incredibly easy to watch it one after another and I didn't really find it weird once I spotted the freaky anime conventions and customs.

Quote:
still don't like overly cute anime now, but my tolerance has grown quite a bit.

With me, I try and find anime that I wouldn't usually like and after I see it I love it so much. I have a craving to watch more and more varieties of anime each time I see a new series. Although I hesitate to watch a mecha series after NGE and RahXephon (I just don't know if the storylines vary enough or not). The main issue is just availability of the series and the money to spend it on. Also another problem now is because I get so attached to an anime series and I don't want it to end (such as Naruto or FMA) that I'm reluctant to watch any episodes if it comes up to any good parts because I know I'll just get totally depressed when it does end like i did when i saw the last episode of FMA Crying or Very sad.

And my brother loves Studio Ghibli now as well, i think it's the best place to start because it has so much depth and none of that freaky anime stuff
Quote:
quirks of standard anime conventions, such as nosebleeds as a symbol of sexual arousal, characters suddenly falling to the floor when something really stupid is said, just about anything about magical girl anime, why super-advanced mecha are almost always entrusted to teenagers, and so forth
(That made me laugh!). From Ghibli onwards it's all downhill in terms of sense and it's the nonsensicality that is hard to get used to. (is that a word??) Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
I should mention, I showed Scrapped Princess to a friend of mine, and it was very successful. I had first shown him Cowboy Bebop, which is very accessible because it has a good dub and is not extremely "anime-like"--it doesn't have the crazy reactions, the deformations, and all that. After Scrapped Princess, I moved on to Full Metal Panic to give him an idea of some of the crazy reactions and teen comedy aspects of anime. Using quality dubs is important, too, because according to my friend, it's taxing on the brain to take in all these visuals (which, like the nosebleed thing, can be confusing if you don't know their symbolic meaning) and read subtitles at the same time. Eventually, he came to appreciate the Japanese track, and moved on to other series, like Trigun, Comic Party, FMA, Love Hina, and now he's working on Ceres. I'm so proud Very Happy Very Happy

I would also agree that shows like Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemii, FLCL, and others that are seriously on crack should be avoided for newbies. Others, like Fruits Basket, Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, Comic Party, etc. that require good knowledge and understanding of anime conventions and Japanese culture are not prime targets. Hell, you have to understand rather complicated Japanese to get just how much Tohru (of FB) is an excessively polite/respectful person--the difference between "dare mo inai/(or 'imasen')" and "donata mo irasshaimasen" is significant in Japanese, but both are translated as "There's no one there" (said at the beginning of Ep #4 when Kagura comes to the door).

And shows like Lain? I had seen over 30 shows, but I still had problems with Lain. And now I'm working on Texhnolyze. . .
darkinusgurl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I know how ya feel. Lot's of people get confused with Japanese nemes. I tried to get some of my best friends into anime and it almost completely backfired on me. I started out with anime like InuYasha,Rurouni Kenshin,Yu-Yu Hakusho,etc. but it was hard for most of them to get the names straight. My friend Mike would pronounce InuYasha as InooYasssa. Anime cry Another dear friend couldn't pronounce Yugi right even though he'd seen Yu-Gi-Oh! plenty of times. Oh well. You can't blame someone for saying a word wrong. I'm so used to it that it doesn't happen to me when I say a Japanese name. I guess it takes awhile for the newbies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Also another problem now is because I get so attached to an anime series and I don't want it to end (such as Naruto or FMA) that I'm reluctant to watch any episodes if it comes up to any good parts because I know I'll just get totally depressed when it does end like i did when i saw the last episode of FMA Crying or Very sad.
I know what you mean. I remember I had some sort of a bad reaction when I saw the last episode of Witch Hunter Robin, one of my first anime. I just...liked the series so much. Anime cry It just felt so incomplete!
smutchi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And shows like Lain? I had seen over 30 shows, but I still had problems with Lain. And now I'm working on Texhnolyze. . .

Cloe wrote:
Imagine introducing him to anime with something like Serial Experiments Lain or the first Ghost in the Shell film, both of which require multiple viewings (to get the story straight and because they're just so good!)

Laughing
Guess which anime I saw first! Very Happy
It didn't put me off! On the contrary, Lain's why I got into anime! Smile
However I certainly agree that it isn't one of the easier anime and it has the advantage, that the names are easy to remember (Lain, Alice, ...)! Wink
I also had this problem with the Japanese names and titles (of series) and my "Japanese memory" still isn't as good as my "other languages memories"! Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Twelve Kingdoms would be a tough one to start with as well. Alot gets added to your vocabulary very fast and it takes a bit for it to sink in completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Imagine introducing him to anime with something like Serial Experiments Lain or the first Ghost in the Shell film, both of which require multiple viewings (to get the story straight and because they're just so good!)
I've missed a few episodes of Ghost in the Shell in the middle, and it's thrown me off the rest of the series. I think it'll take me at least three viewings to completely get the hang of it. Hopefully, practicing watching the first season will get me in shape for the second season when it airs on AS.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Guess which anime I saw first! Very Happy
It didn't put me off! On the contrary, Lain's why I got into anime! Smile

Wow, I salute you! I got into anime through simple fairy tale shows like Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. And when I saw Akira for the first time (I was eight) I had nightmares! I don't know if I could have handled Lain as an appetizer series. I do agree that the names are nice and simple, though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2