• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shaman King things

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
on the dvds do they call each chracter by their original name like trey will be called horo horo , like in dbz dvds hercule was caleed mr satan
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
Only 2 DVDs have been released so far, the rest have gotten delayed for some reason. I haven't heard anything otherwise about that yet.

As for your question, no, the dub keeps the dub names. Manta is still Morty. Manta is only on the Japanese track with 'subtitles'. (I use Morty as an example because we haven't seen Trey in the first 6 episodes.) However, they did try to keep the Japanese name, so some weird hybrid name was created. Instead of Oyamada Manta, he's become Morty Manta. Rolling Eyes
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
However, they did try to keep the Japanese name, so some weird hybrid name was created. Instead of Oyamada Manta, he's become Morty Manta. Rolling Eyes
*Snorts* As if the name Morty weren't bad enough...My apologies to anyone named Morty. I'm still not quite sure why companies change the names. I've always thought more cultural diversity was a good thing. After a while, the names in YGO aren't that hard to pronounce. I guess it all boils down to Americanizing things for profit...
Laruto

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Shorty22 wrote:
However, they did try to keep the Japanese name, so some weird hybrid name was created. Instead of Oyamada Manta, he's become Morty Manta. Rolling Eyes
*Snorts* As if the name Morty weren't bad enough...My apologies to anyone named Morty. I'm still not quite sure why companies change the names. I've always thought more cultural diversity was a good thing. After a while, the names in YGO aren't that hard to pronounce. I guess it all boils down to Americanizing things for profit...

I don't think its a matter of pronouncing the name but more of them giving the characters names that are easy for kids remember. That's why I think companies change the names of characters in anime series that are aimed at kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1