• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA DVDs uncut?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
mattchoo8t3 wrote:
I beg to differ. DBZ is not half an hour. it is when it is cut down.

Huh? How so? I'm pretty sure most of the anime shown on Japanese television are about half an hour.

I say "about" because they probably leave a few extra minutes for commercials/sponser endorsements or whatever, but for the most part I'd say whatever titles are licensed and released in the U.S on DVD are uncut.

That is, unless you're going to be a super purist and say every single second of the master recordings should be on there as well.

It's true that anime on U.S. television is cut, but you'll either have to talk to the FCC or the TV broadcast companies for that one.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed May 04, 2005 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
4Kids is the only anime licensing company that still edits the anime they license. They do that to show it on TV here in the US under the stricter Broadcast Standards and Practices that we have here.

Tokyopop might edit on an rare occasion

mattchoo8t3 obviously doesn't know about fansubs, and the fact that you can compare these with DVD releases. Typically, a DVD release is nearly the same as what those who download a fansub will see, but will always have better video quality, sometimes animation is redone, and episodes not shown on TV are included as in the case of Gantz. Gantz season 1 was shown on Japanese TV missing two episodes, because a couple episodes were too graphic to be shown on Japanese TV, so we get to see the unedited version being released by ADV, and is given a TV-MA rating.

Take fansubs, fansubbers remove commercials, so all anime TV series are a half hour with commercials, remove the commercials (beginning, middle, end), and they are 24 to 25 minutes.

Only OVA's are usually over 30 minutes in length.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
mattchoo8t3 wrote:
I beg to differ. DBZ is not half an hour. it is when it is cut down.

and I don't see us agreeing at all, so perhaps we should agree to disagree.

besides, if the dvd says uncut, then I say it is uncut. You say its uncut. everyone is happy

Japanese Dragonball/Z DVD releases disagree with you. Ontop of nearly every release of every anime ever. You wouldn't license X ammount of animation simply to REMOVE ONE THIRD OF IT. That is insanely stupid and a waste of money. Ontop of that, a vast majority (except what.. Figure 17?) air on half hour blocks IN JAPAN, and the only time they could ever be longer is due to what... specials? DVD releases (fixed animation and all)?

I'm really amazed by how little of a clue you have. (ontop of that, only the really "gory" moments were removed from DBZ, which despite everyone bitching and whinging, were few and far between)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Besides, since he has 10 posts, being the newbie that he is, new to anime, he wouldn't have a clue what he's talking about.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Although I've not seen the first eight AS versions since they aired, I must say they seem the same as on the first two DVDs. The only thing that is different is the ending credits which is a little bit shorter on AS. CN tends to compress/delete the OP and/or the ED in order to fit the show in the alloted time.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
DBZ dvds the older ones may say uncut they they were still edited

but Funimation is releasing NEW DBZ dvds uncut with a new dub and all the music and openings the way they are supposed to be

only bad thing is, only 3 episodes a DVD! for a 268 episode series, thats going to be alot of dvds, they could have at least put 5 episodes a dvd!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
spider-moose wrote:
DBZ dvds the older ones may say uncut they they were still edited

Only in the English version, and that's only if you're comparing it as a direct adaptation of the original Japanese, which it isnt.

Quote:
but Funimation is releasing NEW DBZ dvds uncut with a new dub and all the music and openings the way they are supposed to be

The new uncut DVDs also contain replace English music and dialouge in the dub. It's dub is very much the same as all of the other DVDs, only this time it's using the entire set of animation, not removing 15 or so episodes worth of footage. But like all of the other DBZ DVDs released under FUNimation, these still retain the original Japanese broadcast audio as an alternate viewing choice.

Quote:
only bad thing is, only 3 episodes a DVD! for a 268 episode series, thats going to be alot of dvds, they could have at least put 5 episodes a dvd!

Assuming this release spread across the entire series and not just the previously cut-only Saiyan and Namek sagas, it'd actually be 291 episodes. 276 was the original episode count when you considered the cut Saiyan and Namek Sagas. Don't know where you pulled 268 from.

Can't say I'm happy about the episode count though.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
sorry I put a estimate of the episode count, cause your avatar imtimidated me Shocked
YUGI

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
There releasing 67 episodes uncut. The rest are uncut with subs.
mdw1234567890

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
mattchoo8t3 wrote:
granted, bubble gum was straight to vid. I hate to bring it out, but what about DB or DBZ. Lots and lots of diologue cut out. That was never straight to video. That aired in the US long before toonami came around, as well. Those shows, UNCUT, around 43 minutes long.
FMA may be 26 minutes. Like the saying goes, there are exceptions to every rule.

errr... almost all anime is 25 min long in japan with some cuts and the 5 providing the com time.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jagozon wrote:
if the episodes were uncut,I've read about stuff they cut out on TV,like blood and violents.

From what I can tell, FMA was very minimally edited. It's not a show like Gantz that would get hacked to bits, FMA has barely been touched except by the usual Adult Swim edits: no higher-up swear words (ex. s*** or f***) and the removal of overly extreme violence, which isn't even that bad.
Asuka

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
Ugh, don't I feel smart, just realized this was a dead topic. My mistake, little too late at night.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
YUGI wrote:
Wait, which anime are you talking about again?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
YUGI wrote:

Wait, which anime are you talking about again?

The re-release of DBZ's Saiya-jin and Namek sagas.
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-sama said 4kids is the only company that edits. (I put it this way because I can't do a regular quote)
That's not necessarily true. ADV edited Saint Seiya into Knights of the Zodiac (I'm pretty sure anyway.) Then again, they realeased it uncut too, so does it count?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3