• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo OVA 3 voice talent?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know if Funimation got the original cast for the third OVA? I've been out of the loop for almost a year. I see its coming out soon in june. FMP:F sneaked up on me too Confused .
zaphdash

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been following it very closely, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure FUNimation reassembled the entire original cast except for Ryoko.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
thats a bit saddening, I believe ryoko's VO was the oldest of the group too.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Zaphdash is right. Save for Petrea Burchard, the original Pioneer cast has been reassembled. Mona Marshall, who voiced Ryoko in her sole appearance in the GXP series, will continue to be FUNimation's Ryoko.

Not that that's entirely a bad thing. Though Mona made Ryoko out to be more "girlish" than Petrea and didn't quite have the overtly predatorial sexuality down (though, in that episode it didn't really come out), she still captured the character well.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
GXP Ryoko!? oh god.... She wont be able to cover all sides of Ryoko's personality...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Not that Ryoko...

Everybody is talking about the OVA series Ryoko.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes, and that is the Ryoko I'm talking about. Mona Marshall voiced Ryoko Hakubi Masaki (Washu's eldest daughter) in her sole appearance in GXP - episode 17.

I'm not talking about Ryoko Baulta who was voiced by Barbara Goodsen. Honestly, 300+ viewings of the Tenchi OAV's and you think I'd make that sort of rookie mistake? :wink:
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I know you are talking about the cameo ryoko. That, imo, is still not good enough. It doesnt cover all of ryoko.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Again, I said that Mona makes Ryoko out to be a bit more girlish than she is and doesn't have Ryoko's "overtly predatorial sexuality" down. Burchard's Ryoko was a woman, Mona's Ryoko was a girl.

However, Burchard's Ryoko has been proven over the course of three movies, two TV series, a spin-off OAV, a spin-off TV series, and the 1st and 2nd OAV's. We have a little less than 5 minutes of Mona's Ryoko to go on.

Let's wait until July before we say she can't handle the role. Wait until she has to deliver lines with weight and meaning instead of just make a few snipes at Ayeka to please franchise stalwarts in a fun but unimportant cameo appearance.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
I've only seen about the first dvd's worth of GXP. I was not to impressed with it. It was still entertaining nonetheless.
Espeon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Biggest load crap I have even heard of SHE slaughtered Ryoko's voice, like running over a cat with your car. If you wanna listen to someone with there fingers up there nose then listen to GXP Ryoko. I have watched allseries alot of times and i know what a goodvoice for ryoko is.! So you can stick Mona Marshall where the sun dont shine.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
This is quite depressing. I'm right in the middle of the Ryo-Oki OAVs and this post has caused me to go straight to GXP ep 17. Ryoko was even animated out of sync! Confused

It is my hope that the new voice actress will style her performance on the actual mannerisms of the character; Ryoko in GXP was not the Ryoko I have been enjoying all week!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
Espeon, I'll say it again, Mona Marshall's performance in GXP was too limited to judge, and Ryoko's appearance in GXP was 100% inconsequential to the series.

I'm not happy that Petrea Burchard isn't reprising her role as Ryoko, but I'm not condemning Mona Marshall until I hear actual poor acting as opposed to simply not sounding like Petrea Burchard.
Espeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Sif, I have heard almost all of Mona Marshall's voicing rolls she didn't even try in GXP.
I just finished watching Love Hina she did a great voice for motoko and that was what i was expecting for Ryoko at least, but you listen to what she pulled out for GXP.. How in the freaken world does Ryoko sound like that it's like she's never listened to the original characters voice. It's kinda like the change in Excel Saga, it's was good cuase the new chick did very well coing into the roll. But nooo not Mona Marshal she did what ever she wanted and failed. This is sloppy work in her part .. God i hope she trys better in the coming OVA 3. I have OVA box set/Tenchi Universe/Tenchi In Tokyo/all 3 movies/the special sammy dvd and have watched over 10 times .. I know a good voice when i hear one.

I'm just plain MAD as hell.
Smegger56

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly, FUNImation have told Mona Marshall to give a similar performance to petrea Burchard. They said to watch all the Petrea Ryoko, study the voice, and try to mimic Petreas voice. This is for OVA 3.

But yeh, i heard an audio sample of Mona as Ryoko (Masaki) from the GXP episode, and YIKES... it was bad.

But hopefully, she'll satisfy us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2