• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Scene in all of Anime Ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
For a film studies class I'm taking, we must select two scenes which we consider to be the greatest of all time in terms of writing, composition, etc. I have elected for at least one of these scenes to be of an anime. While I have a few in mind, I'd like to see what others might come up with.

So, in your opinion...
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
so you'll definately want something where they wouldnt have to have watched the series to understand. I highly recommend something from Gankutsuou (Counte of Monte Cristo). In episode 1-2 where the Counte makes Albert pick a card. There are other various scenes throughout the early episodes that also kick large amounts of ass. My 2 cents.
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I would reccomend that last scene from Cowboy Bebop.
Now I know that in order to FULLY comprehend it, a somehwat knowledge of the series is neccesary BUT when you think about it, it is very simple. A lonely hero jumping into the lion`s cave for the last battle with his arch enemy. Its a universal theme. Plus the music is mind blowing and the animation is stunning. So there is something for you.

Other than that.
Vampire Hunter D:
1) The Scene in Barbaroi when Growth leaves his body and attacks the Demon City inhabitants
2) The scene when D buys a horse and we get to listen to the older guys story
3) Any scene from the Countess Castle Smile
4) The funeral scene
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The elevator scene from episode 22 of Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Does tv count as film in your film class? Because if it doesn't, you'll have to stick to feature length anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
For a film studies class I'm taking, we must select two scenes which we consider to be the greatest of all time in terms of writing, composition, etc. I have elected for at least one of these scenes to be of an anime. While I have a few in mind, I'd like to see what others might come up with.

So, in your opinion...

How's about actually choosing stuff yourself, from a wide variety of mediums? It becomes easier to present and talk about something that people will be able to relate to, when you're new to it yourself. Or atleast not stuck in freaking internet forums and such.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
-In the End of Evangelion movie, the scene when kom susser todd plays.
- (previously mentioned) the end of cowboy bebop
- The final scene of only yesterday ( Sad makes me sad and happy all at the same time)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
My top three scenes:

3) Gihirn Zabi's speech after Garma's death in Mobile Suit Gundam.
2) Spike falling out the window in episode 5 of Cowboy Bebop.
1) The bus stop scene in My Neighbour Totoro.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NeoEllis wrote:
For a film studies class I'm taking, we must select two scenes which we consider to be the greatest of all time in terms of writing, composition, etc. I have elected for at least one of these scenes to be of an anime.

Your other scene is going to be from Citizen Kane, right? Riiight? Wink As a film enthusiast, I think you're crazy if it's not. Unless it's from 8 1/2 instead. Or The Bicycle Thief. Or Un Chien Andalou. Gah, nevermind. I'll keep listing films forever if this keeps up.

I'll second the elevator scene from Eva, and add the scene in Grave of the Fireflies where Sieta flips on the gymnastic bar for Setsuko. To be honest, though, I don't think that the best scene in any anime holds a candle to any one of, oh, let's say the top 50 best scenes in the history of live-action film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I don't think that the best scene in any anime holds a candle to any one of, oh, let's say the top 50 best scenes in the history of live-action film.

Ya I think your right, stuff from the graduate, the good the bad and the ugly, even risky business Razz would be better examples than anything from an anime. If this is some sort of project for a film class, you want to put scenes from classic real life films not anime. By all means I'm not saying anime doesn’t have some of the greatest moments in all of film, but you need something that is relatable to your peers (as steventhehuch was saying). A lot of people wouldn't take animation seriously enough to consider it a "classic scene".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Truthfully, your professor might think it a bit odd if you pick an anime scene for your "best of all time," but nevertheless do what you want. May I suggest a truly landmark film? Several scenes from The Wings of Honeamise would qualify for consideration. One scene that comes to mind is the chase scene. spoiler[I have long thought it to be one of the best sequences ever animated; the beauty of the whole scene lies in its simplicity, the way the understated music builds the suspense of the whole sequence until the inevitable conclusion. Shiro is no action hero, as shots begin to be fired you see on his face all the emotions that anyone would go through at such a moment: bewilderment, anger, terror, the desire to live. An eerie realism hangs over the chase, as you hear the slow, emotionless wheel creak from the assasin's cart, standing out in sharp contrast to the frantic desperation of Shiro's rush to escape.] Another candidate would be the finale, spoiler[the countdown proceeding as visages of warfare draw ever closer to the lanchsite, and when the rocket finaly ignites all you hear is a great silence before watching the ship ascend to the skies, rising ever higher above the warplanes that swirl about it like so many gnats on a summers afternoon. ]
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
You should take a look at the 2nd half of G-Gundam's last Episode.

...I assume that you've seen it already.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The Seen In Evangelion Were Little Mr. Dumbass Falls On Little Naked Rei.] Greates All Time Sceane Ever.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
that part in Totoro where the 2 girls and Totoro are at the bus stop when its raining, and Totoro finds great pleasure from making water drop onto his umberella from the tree.

also that scene from Cowboy Bebop episode 5 where spoiler[Spike is falling from the church window]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Edo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say a live-action as well as an anime but...
LONG LIFE, HAPPINESS & PROSPERITY>> When the branch is coming down on Mindy **Because everything flashes before her, really intense dramatic scene**

Hikaru No Go>> When spoiler[Hikaru beats Ichi or when Sai loses to Touya Mejin] **Because Hikaru No Go basically is a perfect example of building up tension over 5-10 eps, then releasing, agian and again, the above two, however, are two of the best moments**

Also, anyone seen>> THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3