• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 1-5 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
When you get down to it, it really just comes down to this: Your standards are lower than mine. You're willing to wallow in mediocrity and I'm not.

Well said.

Like you, I set my standards to be higher than mediocre. I watch Anime to be entertained, not to tolerate crap. Okay, I often do tolerate it - I haven't yet dropped Guilty Crown and will probably finish it - but that's besides the point. I'm still having to tolerate it when I'd rather enjoy it instead.

See, except for a select few series, I am just incapable of liking poorly written shows with irritating characters. I have a limited amount of time to watch Anime, and I think it is only natural that I make the most of that time by watching well-made stuff that I'll have a higher chance of enjoying.

And if I end up watching a few bad shows each season well then that's me being silly or stubborn, or far too optimistic. It doesn't make the shows any better just because I'm tolerating them.

Finally, I just want to make it clear that for me, story and characters are far more important than music or technical merits or fanservice. Guilty Crown looks fantastic at times, has good music, and will probably make a fair bit of money. You know, what with Inori and the robots and all. Especially the hacker girl wearing cat ears and a skin-tight suit, and whose interface with the computer is dancing. But all I see is a show which spent so much time and budget on superficial aspects that they forgot (or more likely, didn't care) to build a good story filled with well-constructed characters.

Let me put it this way; eye candy only lasts/is only relevant until the next dose (of eye candy) comes in. You get popular shows that are forgotten by the next season and the next fad. Whereas a good story and memorable characters are forever, which may explain why many children in the Anglophone world still have to study Shakespeare in school.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
Again, your examples fails you. Persona 4 isn't a good anime, although it was a great game. It started really well, but fell short after three episodes. Mirai Nikki is debateble. Many loved it at first (I included), but it's slowly showing its ugly face and desire to be just a fleeting sensation.

If you wanted good examples of great anime from this season, the best choices are Fate/Zero and ChiharaFuyu, and even those can be arguable.

ChiharaFuyu is arguably a great anime, but it's not one that a wide audience would like - after all, you can only take the concept of Shoujo so far. Fate/Zero felt too grandeur - the pacing is slow, and even with its spectacular action, the script is borderline incomprehensible, and its attempt at storytelling is heavy-handed and a bit too grandeur for its own good.

Persona 4 has great potential - the potential to become an anime that's not only enjoyable to watch, be can effectively present issues on the human condition in a dignified manner.

Mirai Nikki excels at suspenseful and thrilling storytelling - unless you read the manga, you never really know what'll happen next, keeping the audience at the edge of their seat. "Fleeting sensation" would be selling it short, especially with a plot this exciting and characters this fresh - Yuuki's reaction to everything is real and terrifying; Yuno's obsession upholds the purest and frightening form of love found in real life - all the characters presented in this anime are neither bland nor flanderized, but sane & insane. After all, this what real human beings are. We're all insane in some ways, and no one is ever perfectly sane.

Please note that as an aspiring story writer, I analyze plot and narrative structures from an unbiased pov. My brother himself is an incredible story writer who criticizes everything. And he's never wrong.

Your move.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
My brother himself is an incredible story writer who criticizes everything. And he's never wrong.

Your move.

No-one needs to move, you've already destroyed your own argument. If your brother criticises everything then that strongly implies he thinks nothing is good (or good enough), and I'm sure ninety-nine percent of people are going to counter that with a "Get outta town".

Besides, what does your brother have to do with anything? Did I miss something?

I disagree with your assessments of Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki, but I can't really be bothered to set you straight. All the more so since this is a thread about Guilty Crown.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of amazed it scored as high as it did to be honest.

And what the hell is this "I know a writer and he's never wrong" BS defense? Does that mean as long as I make it sound like I know what I'm talking about backed up with supposed credible figure I'm immune to meaningful criticism?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No-one needs to move, you've already destroyed your own argument. If your brother criticises everything then that strongly implies he thinks nothing is good (or good enough), and I'm sure ninety-nine percent of people are going to counter that with a "Get outta town".

I disagree with your assessments of Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki, but I can't really be bothered to set you straight. All the more so since this is a thread about Guilty Crown.

I actually agree with most of what he said and despite that...yeah, you're absolutely right dtm42.

When someone tries to justify their claims by telling people "I'm an aspiring writer so I'm unbiased" you really just undermine your own credibility. Same goes for claiming that your brother is "never wrong". I mean, what does that even mean? How would one possibly verify their opinion on an anime to be "correct"?
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Apparently, you have no idea what a critic does. Eh, but no use trying to speak to a brick wall. You're right, this thread is about Guilty Crown. I'm out.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I actually agree with most of what he said and despite that...yeah, you're absolutely right dtm42.

When someone tries to justify their claims by telling people "I'm an aspiring writer so I'm unbiased" you really just undermine your own credibility. Same goes for claiming that your brother is "never wrong". I mean, what does that even mean? How would one possibly verify their opinion on an anime to be "correct"?

I respect my brother. Someone who stands higher than humanity itself is worth respecting.

Criticize me all you want. It changes nothing.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Your brother is some sort of superhero? Or perhaps a god?

It's either that or you're trolling/and or nuts.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I respect my brother. Someone who stands higher than humanity itself is worth respecting.

Holy shit it's official this guy is either on something or is absolutely nuts.
ccc16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
Let's get back on topic again (ignore the trolls and stupid comments)
So I've read all the comments and I'm really surprised no one mentioned this at all. How come nobody mentioned Code Geass??? Guilty Crown shares more similarities with CG than any other animes previously mentioned above (AnoHana, Fate/zero, ...).
Anyway, this is my judgment on GC: First, lets start off with characters.
In Code Geass, We have Lelouch as a main character. I won't spoil the details, but the point is, he is a very unique character (If you've seen CG, you know exactly what I'm talking about). Just google "Byronic hero". Then, we have Shu. Unlike Lelouch, Shu is rather ordinary, normal. Next, the setting (or the world/universe...) of both anime are, in terms of what is there (mechas, resistance group, Japan, foreign nations, school, supernatural powers...), are very similar. So for this comparison let's say they're the same.
The intention of GC is to show us audience a different side of CG, that's what I think at least. "What would happen if someone else were to be put into the same situation?" I think this is the kind of story Guilty Crown is meant to be. (I find it interesting seeing it this way)

I only intend to bring back this thread to life. Don't die yet!
Bingal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:

Yes it does, because not only are you acting in a very pretentious manner, but you're also using an appeal to authority as a basis to reinforce an already flawed argument.
blackseer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ccc16 wrote:
So I've read all the comments and I'm really surprised no one mentioned this at all. How come nobody mentioned Code Geass??? Guilty Crown shares more similarities with CG than any other animes previously mentioned above (AnoHana, Fate/zero, ...).
In Code Geass, We have Lelouch as a main character. I won't spoil the details, but the point is, he is a very unique character (If you've seen CG, you know exactly what I'm talking about). Just google "Byronic hero". Then, we have Shu. Unlike Lelouch, Shu is rather ordinary, normal. Next, the setting (or the world/universe...) of both anime are, in terms of what is there (mechas, resistance group, Japan, foreign nations, school, supernatural powers...), are very similar. So for this comparison let's say they're the same.
The intention of GC is to show us audience a different side of CG, that's what I think at least. "What would happen if someone else were to be put into the same situation?" I think this is the kind of story Guilty Crown is meant to be. (I find it interesting seeing it this way)

I mentioned this on the preview guide topic, but was often disregarded because the mood is very different.
ccc16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
ccc16 wrote:

I mentioned this on the preview guide topic, but was often disregarded because the mood is very different.

Sad I see. Sad
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
ccc16 wrote:

I will admit that's one way to look at it, but the whole effort suffers from one structural flaw (among others): Shu isn't a compelling protagonist. He doesn't need to be identical to Lelouch, by all means, but he really does come across as just another in an apparently endless line of weak, spineless leads with an uninteresting personality and little or no initiative. If the writing has problems, then Shu himself is the single biggest one.

And the supporting cast, aside from some brief moments when they are given a certain amount of focus, doesn't exactly tend to pick up the slack and make up for Shu's blandness. The less said about Inori, the better. I don't exactly hate the show, but in this case...the risk of sliding completely into utter boredom is far more of a problem for me than anything else.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I will admit that's one way to look at it, but the whole effort suffers from one structural flaw (among others): Shu isn't a compelling protagonist.

I see a couple more when comparing this to Code Geass. There is a lack of pomp and "fabulousness" that made CG fun to watch. And there is no homolust to hook the fujoshi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4