• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh question: What is up with Osaka?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarekiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes this is in general a question about her, I mean Osaka's attitude seems to shift alot in the anime, What is up with that? one minute she's smart, the next she's clueless, her sneeze sounds weak, and she ALWAYS falls asleep in class, and her hiccups usually stay with her whenever she tries spicy food, she's the first to loose to Chiyo-chan, she participates in a bread eating contest but loses, to me those events are quite unusual including the one where she is looking awake while she's actually asleep with knives to Wake Yukari-sensei while she was only suppose to get a pot and a spoon to wake her. So I ask you what could be the explanation to her VERY unusual attitude?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
She's spacy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
In some ways she is portrayed as the antithesis of the common Osakan stereotype of being loud, animated, and quite good with business dealings, but in other ways she is portrayed as the classic Osakan stereotype, being sort of uncultured and not very familiar with the "Tokyo lifestyle" and mannerisms.
ev0luti0nzer0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Osaka is a person who likes to daydream, this is very funny Razz She dazes out for exmaple spoiler[In the anime she says "Ahh...Theres worms(or something) in my eyes"]hehe this is the funny thing about this anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Osaka-san, is it just me or can anyone else see the bubbles in their eyes like her?

Seriously, I know exactly what she's talking about. You can actually do this with your eyes open or closed. Try not to look at anything directly in front of you. If you control your vision enough, you'll see these really faint projections in the foreground closest to your eyes.

I'm not sure how to really explain it beyond that... but she's not crazy, just so you know Wink.
David Silva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Speaking of Osaka-san, is it just me or can anyone else see the bubbles in their eyes like her?

I can. I've been able to do that for years now.

I guess that is why she's my favorite character in the series.
Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Osaka is funny but spacy. She is cool Very Happy
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

It's provided hours of fun on boring nights. Laughing
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Seriously, I know exactly what she's talking about. You can actually do this with your eyes open or closed. Try not to look at anything directly in front of you. If you control your vision enough, you'll see these really faint projections in the foreground closest to your eyes.

I'm not sure how to really explain it beyond that... but she's not crazy, just so you know Wink.

You mean like "floaters" in your eye? I have a few of those, but I think they're caused by some kind of scarring of the retina. With my eyes closed, if I squint incredibly hard, I can get all kind of fantastic (yet predictable) color designs (like a kaleidoscope) in my eyes. I've heard that's due to the ensuing change in blood circulation. If it's not any of those, then I'm not sure what you all are talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
You mean like "floaters" in your eye? I have a few of those, but I think they're caused by some kind of scarring of the retina.

No, I'm pretty sure I haven't scarred my retina in any way Anime smile. Whatever this process is called, though, I just know that I've been able to see these "bubbles" since I was really young (about 5 or 6 years old, I think). It might also help if you're in a pitch black room and you stare straight into the darkness, but try not to imagine anything in your mind.

After a few seconds, the darkness might faintly look like those snow screens of bad reception you get on TVs. Personally, they look like a giant wall of tiny computer chips or metallic faces of that character "Destro" from G.I. Joe. I think they'll be traveling in a downward direction.

This gave me a lot of sleeping trouble when I first discovered this ability.

Please don't call me crazy Anime catgrin + sweatdrop...
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
With my eyes closed, if I squint incredibly hard, I can get all kind of fantastic (yet predictable) color designs (like a kaleidoscope) in my eyes. I've heard that's due to the ensuing change in blood circulation.

Ha ha! I know exactly what you're talking about! They show up in the dark too, right? When I was little (5 or 6 years old), I had trouble falling asleep one night because of those colorful dots and went to my parents in tears, thinking they were some kind of monster that wouldn't go away even when I closed my eyes... Anime smile + sweatdrop

I find Osaka's strange quirks and mannerisms endearing, actually. It adds a layer of dimension I think is lacking from some of the other characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:

You mean like "floaters" in your eye? I have a few of those, but I think they're caused by some kind of scarring of the retina.

Nah, floaters are just clumps of cells inside the fluid in your eyes.

Tony K. wrote:

After a few seconds, the darkness might faintly look like those snow screens of bad reception you get on TVs.

That, I'm fairly sure, is just your eye trying to deal with the lower light levels. I get that sometimes too.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
(Bear with me on this one.I call her Ayumu.Osaka is just where she's from.)

Granted,Ayumu IS spacy.But I also feel that girls like Tomo (and Miss Yukari as well) won't let her be herself and that's the trouble.That's why she's stuck with her hometown's name for a nickname.
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I find Osaka's strange quirks and mannerisms endearing, actually. It adds a layer of dimension I think is lacking from some of the other characters.

Really? I felt that the main characters in the series were wonderfully developed, truly unique characters. And when you get down to it, Azumanga Daioh is nothing but characters. I mean, it's pretty much plotless, whichever way you look at it.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2