• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Responds to PETA About Super Mario 3D Land

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
PETA is like that friend who you think has noble intentions, but is so blatantly stupid and uninformed that they place all of those intentions in every wrong area imaginable. Except they're kind of mean, and support questionable things to justify their own flawed logic. And rely on shock value to make you care.

So they're more like depressed, self-aware cheerleaders in a backwater town than actual friends you may have.

All jokes(?) aside, this is so ridiculous beyond belief that even giving it attention is a bad idea. Like many preposterous things PETA has presented, this should just be ignored and left to fail miserably.

Oh, snap, by commenting I paid attention to it. Well, at least I tried. Very Happy
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Did anyone at PETA ever stop to consider that maybe Mario is just showing off his inner-Furry?
I think Mario would disagree with you. Laughing
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Anyone even try and play that game? Whoever coded that POS should be force-fed cornmeal until his/her insides burst.

Agreed.

I can't say I'm all that surprised that PETA's doing this. We're talking about an organization that euthanizes pretty much every animal it "rescues," including those that are perfectly healthy. It's not shocking at all to me that PETA would spend more time and energy worrying about the well-being of fictional tanuki than real animals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I should congratulate PETEAfor leveling up in stupidity. Why are they bothering about Mario when the Cabela games have been shooting virtual animals for much, much longer? I haven't heard about them protesting those games.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
PETA must pick their targets by having a blind-folded, drunk monkey throw darts at the entertainment section of the newspaper. I'm playing Skyrim as we speak and have spent hours killing all sort of animals, tanning their hides for leather, and making weapons/armor out of said hides for profit and personal use. Yet the best example of fiction that says it's okay to wear fur is Mario in a Tanooki-like costume.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
People like these PETA idiots do nothing but make the rest of us with legitimate concerns regarding animal cruelty look bad. It's a freaking video game with growth shrooms, rideable dinosaurs, evil turtles and other completely ridiculous things. It's in no way a reference to reality and I highly doubt anyone but these oversensitive types will even think to see it as such. I just don't see kids running out to go skin animals to wear suits made of their flesh in order to gain super powers; or even being encouraged to go buy a fur coat by the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Why are they bothering about Mario when the Cabela games have been shooting virtual animals for much, much longer? I haven't heard about them protesting those games.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I'm playing Skyrim as we speak and have spent hours killing all sort of animals, tanning their hides for leather, and making weapons/armor out of said hides for profit and personal use. Yet the best example of fiction that says it's okay to wear fur is Mario in a Tanooki-like costume.
One is a game commonly found in bars and over-priced theme restaurants, and we all know minors don't go those places *sarcasm*; one is "Rated 'M' for Mature," and we all know that minors don't buy/rent/play M-rated games *more sarcasm*; and the other stars a family-friendly character that's more recognizable than Mickey Mouse. In short if PETA doesn't protect them, then who will? *end of sarcasm*
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
PETA is laughable. I am from the Hampton Roads area where PETA is headquartered.

PETA employees were caught dumping dead animals (cats & dogs), they killed in their mobile euthanasia vehicle, in local area dumpsters. Supposedly PETA was rescuing these animals from area shelters.

It was news in the local media for weeks before and during the trial.

So it makes PETA's extreme messages, at odds with their actions.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
Okay PETA, I get it, you're desperately looking for attention. Now back the f*** off'a Mario!
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it's taking every fiber of will power within me to not begin individually and systematically deconstructing you all's poor, fallacious arguments. All I see is name calling and unjustified ad hominem attacks upon PETA, but no one is addressing the FACT that animal slaughtering for meat, clothing, and other miscellaneous non-essential products is immoral and morally indefensible. As a vegetarian and animal liberation activist, I think that utilizing one of highest-selling video game franchises to convey the unpopular reality was a great strategy. So they may be slightly strident in their discourse. Okay. But there's no arguing against most of their views.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Okay, it's taking every fiber of will power within me to not begin individually and systematically deconstructing you all's poor, fallacious arguments. All I see is name calling and unjustified ad hominem attacks upon PETA, but no one is addressing the FACT that animal slaughtering for meat, clothing, and other miscellaneous non-essential products is immoral and morally indefensible. As a vegetarian and animal liberation activist, I think that utilizing one of highest-selling video game franchises to convey the unpopular reality was a great strategy. So they may be slightly strident in their discourse. Okay. But there's no arguing against most of their views.

Well, think of the innocent plants murdered every day for your salads.

As Maddox once said: "For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

While I don't support fur farms or cosmetic animal testing (as there are alternatives; medical testing is more a necessary evil), I can't say killing animals for food is immoral. It happens in nature all the time, and some of the most nature-loving people I've met are hunters. Just recently I had a discussion with one, and he displayed disgust at the people who take the head or antlers of a deer and leave the carcass. I don't support stopping the meat industry, just tightening restrictions and giving animals the best of care before they are humanely slaughtered.

And I really don't see anyone defending fur farms here. Just PETA and their methods. Trust me; I'm huge on the environment and animal rights. It's part of my major. But I just can't support PETA as an organization. I'm happy with some of the end results, but their methods are...questionable, to say the least. And what they're doing now, with the whole "it was a joke!" thing, doesn't seem right. Even if they aren't lying, the least they could have done was make it obvious they weren't really attacking Mario.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

While I don't support fur farms or cosmetic animal testing (as there are alternatives; medical testing is more a necessary evil), I can't say killing animals for food is immoral. It happens in nature all the time, and some of the most nature-loving people I've met are hunters. Just recently I had a discussion with one, and he displayed disgust at the people who take the head or antlers of a deer and leave the carcass. I don't support stopping the meat industry, just tightening restrictions and giving animals the best of care before they are humanely slaughtered.

And I really don't see anyone defending fur farms here. Just PETA and their methods. Trust me; I'm huge on the environment and animal rights. It's part of my major. But I just can't support PETA as an organization. I'm happy with some of the end results, but their methods are...questionable, to say the least. And what they're doing now, with the whole "it was a joke!" thing, doesn't seem right. Even if they aren't lying, the least they could have done was make it obvious they weren't really attacking Mario.

In the 21st century, humans, primarily living in developed First World nations, killing sapient beings for food is not ethically defensible, mainly because there's a plethora of alternative options. Animals raised for food in the U.S. consume 90% of the soy crop, 80% of the corn crop, and a total of 70% of its grain. Those natural food staples could be used to virtually eradicate malnutrition. Instead, they use it to fatten up fowl, swine and cattle just to satisfy an acquired taste for mammalian flesh. Carnivores consume meat because that's the only source of energy evolution has allowed them. Plus, they lack the cognitive capacity to develop complex moral values, like humans. The meat industry contributes more to carbon emission(global warming) than the entire automobile sector(i.e. cars, planes, trains, etc). That's why I say the only time it's defensible, by humans, is in extreme conditions. The typical obese family of five piling up in the station wagon and heading to McDonalds or BK are not in extreme conditions (so to speak) Laughing
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Alternative energy systems need to be implemented regardless, and I'd like to see some specific stats from reliable sources that the industry leads to more carbon emissions than the entirety of the vehicle industry. All classes I've taken attribute automobiles to be the primary cause of emissions. And, actually, eradicating the industry and using the grain for human consumption will not fix human malnutrition. As natural omnivores, we have dietary needs that range beyond grains. Even without the use of pills and meats, they would require a variety of different vegetables and fruits to live healthy. Adding to that, there are people with nutritional needs that cannot be easily fulfilled by pills and vegetables; for them, meat is the best, if not only, option.

And...I don't think you know what sapient means. Sapient would imply that animals are sentient. Also, I really don't want to get involved in a meat vs. no meat debate. You're stuck in your beliefs, I'm stuck in mine. An Internet debate over the issue will not change anything, particularly when a large part of the debate relates to what we consider moral.

Last edited by RestLessone on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
We're never going to stop eating animals. It's just never going to happen. Especially if you expect us to eat horrible tasting plants (which at last taste, was most of them) instead.

Plus, you're already eating insect larvae in most foods, so congrats, you're not so vegan after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5