• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otogi Zoshi/Media Blasters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Just rented the first one. I will buy. Love it, thought it was better then but simular in tone to Twelve Kingdoms (not said lightly). I tried to figure out why I had heard little about it. I

1) found out it was still on the air in Japan and had first aired 7-6-04. No time for fansub buzz to build up.

2) encompassed two story arcs spoiler[One in the Heian period which the first 3 disk include, another in Tokyo w modern reincarnations of the same characters. ]

Media Blasters has a habit of picking up titles with little buzz but turn out to be very good (12 Kingdoms, Figure 17) and seem to take larger risks. Also thier extras are getting to be much better (whole seperate disk on this one). Any idea why?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Also thier extras are getting to be much better (whole seperate disk on this one). Any idea why?

Yup, media blaster did a really good job with this release. They are being generous or are most of their 26 episode series on 6 DVD (Berserk, Shura no Toki, Sam Kyo). I wish more companies would do this and stop being stingy and using 7 DVD.

The only reason why I would think they use a seperate dvd for extra is because volume 1 already has 5 episide with both English 2.0, 5.1, Japanese 2.0 and 5.1 sound. That's a lot of space use for sound, espeically for the episode count. No DTS though. Also i'm not sure if Otogi Zoshi was originally in Wide Screen, but it being full screen only is kind of dissappointing. Guess I was used to Geneon's Anamorphic widescreen presentation for most of thier new anime: Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Gungrave.

Get the LE box f you can. I cover it here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1