• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime - an international language?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
A little anecdote from my life, to brighten your day:

I was riding a bicycle across the Christianshavn district of Copenhagen today, on my way from Point A to Point B, with very little time to spare.

Even so, it was a beautiful spring day, and I was in a great mood. And whether I am in a great mood or not, I did what I always do - I whistled (somewhat tunelessly - I'm not terribly gifted in this regard). On this occasion, I whistled the music to Hitoto You's song "Sunny Side Up", which may be familiar to some of you as the OP theme to Aishiteruze Baby.

Across the street from me, a group of obviously Chinese tourists were being herded along - presumably towards Christiania, the big tourist attraction locally (*sigh*).

Got the scene clear in your mind? Good...

There I was, whistling a tune so obscure that I doubt there are more than a dozen Danes who'd recognize it, when one of the Chinese tourists picks it up and starts whistling along with me.

I caught his eye across the street and we grinned at each other. If I hadn't been in such a hurry (point B, remember?), I'd have stopped to chat.

I'm wondering... he obviously knew the tune by heart - was he an anime fan, as I first thought? Or is (half-Taiwanese) Hitoto You popular as a regular pop singer, outside Japan? I seem to recall dormcat mentioning something of the sort. I wonder if there's a Chinese-language version of "Sunny Side Up".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, you were in the "neighbourhood" and you didn't stop by? Shame on you.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
You had a really lucky day. I often hum (I can barely whistle, and I'm bad at memorizing lyrics so it's not singing) anime tunes (OP, ED, BGM) while browsing anime titles, hoping someone around to pick it up. Sadly, I've never met anyone who could (or would) do so. In most cases, I'm the only person who would hum while shopping. Rolling Eyes Probably because most of my favorites are instrumental.

abunai wrote:
I'm wondering... he obviously knew the tune by heart - was he an anime fan, as I first thought? Or is (half-Taiwanese) Hitoto You popular as a regular pop singer, outside Japan?

I'd say the latter reason seems to be more likely. Sunny Side Up is very popular among her fans -- anime lovers or not. Compared with the song, Aishiteruze Baby does not have a high profile, even among anime fan community. As far as I know, it is not yet licensed in Taiwan, and most of its potential audiences (readers of its manga) are not avid fansub downloaders.

abunai wrote:
I wonder if there's a Chinese-language version of "Sunny Side Up".

Afraid not. Even in her live concert in Taiwan, she sang it in its original Japanese lyric.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, anime as an international language? I dont think so, maybee among other anime fans but to discuss something you see with someone who speaks a different language is very difficult. But music is the internationaly language, every culture has music. And music travels, if you whistle a song that is supposed to be an up-beat/up-lifting song and another person whistles it with you then you may get an acute idea on what kind of person they are. If anime was an international language, you would have to comunicate what animes you like/dislike. I think you're experience was music not anime.
Kisaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I agree that anime is an "international language." I've been to several international anime websites and I have learned a lot. However, the main thing I learned is that my Itallian is worse than my Japanese! And my Japanese is pretty bad! If anime was an international language... well, these problems might not be as big.
keichi san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
anime...an international language? i dont think so. i mean you can find alot of people who like it, heck it even brings people together ,but i dont think its an internation language.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it thought-provoking to see just how several of the responses in this thread completely missed the point of the original post? It's as if people never read any further than the thread title, before posting a response.

No... it couldn't be that, could it? After all, people would naturally read something before posting a response, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?

Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Isn't it thought-provoking to see just how several of the responses in this thread completely missed the point of the original post? It's as if people never read any further than the thread title, before posting a response.

Well, I'm not of inferior rank to the Great One Abunai, so I can't kiss the Great One Abunai's cheeks so...

*Bows down and worships the Great One Abunai*

Naturally, since I was in the process of writing a similar response, the Great One Abunai would beat me to it Wink

I thought it was a common practice in all countries for everyone to take 2 years of anime language studies.

*Bows down and worships the Great One Abunai before leaving the room*
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

No... it couldn't be that, could it? After all, people would naturally read something before posting a response, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?

Rolling Eyes

- abunai

I didn't even read this post that I am quoting right now. I have no idea what it even says; I just wanted to say that anime is not a language ... Razz
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
abunai wrote:

Rolling Eyes

- abunai

I didn't even read this post that I am quoting right now. I have no idea what it even says; I just wanted to say that anime is not a language ... Razz

Fortunately for my peace of mind, I have no idea what you're talking about, since I didn't read your post before quoting and replying to it... Wink

- abunai
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
I think it's correct to say that anime IS an international language.

When I browse the stores, I sometimes see Malays browsing the same anime section with me. And I must say, not all titles here have an English dub track or English subtitles. I can never imagine how they would understand what the anime was talking about, but it didn't seem to matter to them. They were buying anime!

I think anime truly speaks to all cultures and races.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
That's just like the old-school anime fans in America who would eagerly wait for crappy VHS tapes of raw anime, even people who couldn't speak a word of Japanese.
keichi san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
That's just like the old-school anime fans in America who would eagerly wait for crappy VHS tapes of raw anime, even people who couldn't speak a word of Japanese.
lol, that is too true
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1