• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video games

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
what do you guys think of the onimusha franchaise. I am asking your opinion seeing as i have heard gamers reviews but i want to hear anime fans reviews. Im planning to buy it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
I love it, love it, love it! Anime hyper

By far one of my favorite action/survivor horror games (a la Resident Evil style). Only the difference between the Onimusha and RE franchises is that Oni is SO much more fast-paced.

Forget all the strategy and puzzles you had to go through in RE. Why limit yourself to just shooting, dismembering, or burning zombies and mutants with limited ammo when you can hack, slash, combo, cut in half, stab through to the ground, or totally desintegrate a much more challenging group of demons and absorb their souls afterwards?

It's probably a little closer to Devil May Cry, but I like Oni so much more also because of the whole samurai and ancient Japan setting. Parts 1 & 2 take place during the Sengoku Jidai (warring states era) in which you have to fight the likes of a demonized Oda Nobunaga (but they have seperate heros; part 1 having Akechi Samanosuke and part 2 having Yagyu Juubei).

Part three is a bit strange in that it actually involves time travel between 1582 Japan and 2004 France (though Nobunaga is still the bad guy and Akechi Samanosuke returns for the finale), but after beating it twice already, it's by far my favorite out of the three.

The action is fast and fluid and the graphics are very well done. I also enjoyed the music and variety between the two main characters and one sub character. I wasn't bored at all the four days I played and beat it (twice).

And one more noteable thing I'd like to comment about part 3 is the choice of actors used in the character designs. I was very pleased to find out that they had scanned the faces of Kaneshiro Takashi (most notable for his role as Jin in the movie House of Flying Daggers) and Jean Reno (whom some may recognize from such movies as The Professional, Ronin, Mission Impossible, or God forbid that U.S. Godzilla movie).

The game itself actually has some French dialogue and it was nice to know Mr. Reno did his own French, though unfortunately someone else did his English dubbing. It wasn't terrible, but I know he can speak English decently enough and it would've been nice if he at least had a chance to dub the English track.

Anyway, I highly recommend these games. I'm sure you can find any of them at a video game or electronics store for $19.99 U.S. (sorry, I don't know how to convert it to Canadian Anime smallmouth). Have fun!
DidUrHusband

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
I played the first game, and thought the game to be a little bland. I think anyone could beat the game within 4 hours. However, I will give props to the musical score and environment. The game makes you feel as if you're actually in an ancient Japanese lore.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that Onimusha is a very sweet videogame series. The story is very well written and the action is fast-paced and never gets boring. Go get the whole series because it's awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I felt that Onimusha 2 played too much like a bad dating sim. Geez, spoiler[when you spend as much time impressing characters by giving them items than fighting the bad guys,] that's a problem. Just rename it Tokimeki Memorial 2 and get it over with.

BTW, isn't "bad datind sim" an oxymoron? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1