• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your fav. NA anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
What is your favorite North American (Canada+USA) anime? Please give reasons for your choices so that this does not become a list and get locked. Mine is probaly Martin Mystery. This is because it is funny and the drawing is very interesting. Also, there is alot of adventure (even though some may be horrible plots).
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
When it comes to North American animation in the Japanese style, I think The Original Transformers remains the best one.

Transformers: The Movie still stands as one of the best NA animated movies of all time.

(The only other show I would consider over it would be Beast Wars: Transformers, but I'm not sure if the CG animation could be considered "animation in the Japanese style" -- at least, not in the way that The Original Transformers is.)
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
When it comes to North American animation in the Japanese style, I think The Original Transformers remains the best one.

Um I think you got that in reverse. The Original Transformers and the movie are Japanese animation in the American style.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Probably Futurama. It's classy and witty, doesn't reply compltely on sexual humor (ala Famiyl Guy) to get it's humor across. Deccent animation and character designs. And lots of memorable characters - one thing the creator was good at creatng in both Futurama and the Simpsons.

But if you're talking about Animerican/Canadian Animation modeled after the Japanse as opposed to just animation, then probably that old The Last Unicorn movie. ^_^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
Um I think you got that in reverse. The Original Transformers and the movie are Japanese animation in the American style.

No, more like American animation, animated in Japan, for America. It could have been animated anywhere and still had the same look, Japanese studios just happened to be the cheapest out source at the time. To call them "Japanese animation" makes it sound like they were created, designed, and animated by the Japanese for the Japanese, but with an American look which isn't correct at all.

That aside, can't say I care for this topic much. Asking what the best shows are in the anime style sounds kinda awkward, like they're somehow better than other cartoons because they don't look domestic. But that's a tangent for another topic.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Transformers rules and the movie is especially great. I saw it when I was a kid and it still remains one of my all time favorite films annimated or otherwise.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Probably Futurama. It's classy and witty, doesn't reply compltely on sexual humor (ala Famiyl Guy) to get it's humor across.

Family Guy relying on sexual humor? I never thought of "When you Wish Upon a Weinstein" as a sexually themed song. I must have also missed the sexual references in the "Good Night Song" and the "Dukes of Hazzard" scene. I can't imagine how anyone could see 'nothing but sex' in FG. There is no more sexual humor in Family Guy than in Futurama (it was Futurama that featured the 12 foot tall Amazon episode, not FG).

But, since neither show is styled after anime, they do not belong in this thread.

[edit - Ehhh.... This topic is kind of off-topic. "Anime-styled" shows don't really count as anime, and it's already strayed even more off-topic. -b]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1