• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that's more popular in America than in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The only animes I could think of that were more popular in the US than in Japan are Big O and Dragonball GT.Big O flopped in Japan but got good ratings in the US and got a second season because of it's success in the US. Also, GT flopped in Japan but is still the top-rated show on Toonami.

Is there any other anime that was more popular in the US or other countries than Japan?
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Vision of Escaflowne was more popular in America than in Japan, I believe. One of the reasons the Escaflowne movie was made was because it was so well received by American audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
You can generally pick anything on Adult Swim barring certain exceptions (Fullmetal Alchemist, possibly Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex), and it was more or less better received in this country than in Japan. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop I'm fairly certain didn't quite do a bang-up job in Japan, same with Big O, Witch Hunter Robin, & Wolf's Rain. Even reaching into Toonami's bag, stuff like Outlaw Star made a much more lasting impression on this country than where it was created.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Bebop was huge in Japan...at least, that's the impression I get.

And I'm hoping that Gundam X will be more popular in the West than it was in its Homeland.
Fatal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I've heard something along the lines that Rurouni Kenshin was more popular here than it was in Japan. And the dvd sales prompted the last OAV.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Vision of Escaflowne was more popular in America than in Japan, I believe. One of the reasons the Escaflowne movie was made was because it was so well received by American audiences.

Didn't the anime flop when it was at Fox?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Yes, because 4Kids killed it, then Bandai picked it up.

Here is one that floped completly in Japan because it Manga fans hated it. Yet it broke big here, Hellsing.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

Well, it didn't pull in the ratings that Fox predicted, but it gained a very loyal fan following here (not to mention it completely flopped in Japan). Take a glance at the user ratings. Seriously, how many American anime fans have not heard of Escaflowne?

This is veering a little off the topic, but I noticed that in spite of comparisons often made between Japan and America (ie More popular in America than Japan, American cartoons vs Japanese, etc), I don't know much about how anime trends in Europe compare to Japan. I lived in Ireland for six months, but besides noticing Beyblade or Yugi-Oh on television every once in a while, I kind of felt out of the whole anime scene. (Then again, I was living in a super small town on the Western shore...)

Anyway, are there any particular anime titles in Europe that are more popular? Are there any television networks that air anime? I'd love to hear about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tasha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime that are more popular in American than in Japan are:

All of Bee Train's work with the exception of .hack/SIGN didn't do so well in Japan. But Americans seem to love Noir[/b] and Madlax, the latter on fansub. Madlax will fail on DVD. Mark my words. All of CLAMP's work with the exception of Cardcaptor Sakura are more popular here than in Japan. It's their manga, not their anime, that do well.

Berserk: Berserk is one of the greatest anime of all time, but for some reason, it didn't so well.....and to think Saiyuki is a major hit in Japan. Rolling Eyes

Chrno Crusade: It didn't do so well in Japan (the manga is a hit, though), but it was popular on fan-sub.

Cowboy Bebop: It's a popular misconception that Bebop was this phenomenal hit in Japan. It had its run at #1 in 1998(but hey, so did Cardcaptor Sakura), but it's actually an equivalent of a one-hit wonder in Japan. It's a lot more popular in the States. Same goes for Trigun.

Dragon Ball Z: This anime changed jack squat in anime. Fans of this series love to say "it's the anime that brought anime blah blah blah." It's a common myth. No, it's the original series that is a hit in both Japan and here.

Fruits Basket: The anime did well in Japan, but it's a lot more popular here. It's actually the manga that's wildly popular.

Ghost in the Shell: The Japanese don't think of this movie like Americans do.

Love Hina: Love Hina did rather poorly on Japanese television. But for some odd reason, it's popular here.

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer 2: The Americans think this movie is a classic, but in Japan it had a poor reception because it deviated so far from the original story. In fact, Rumiko Takahashi almost didn't allow the movie to come out.

And Nagisa pretty much hit it on the nail. With the exception of Fullmetal Alchemist (mega-hit in Japan) and Inuyasha (ditto), everything on Adult Swim either did poorly in Japan or had a mediocre reception.

Just for the record, it's relatively rare that an anime do well in both the States and in Japan. Dragonball, Fullmetal Alchemist, Furi Kuri, Gundam (original), Inuyasha, certain Miyazaki films (with the exception of Princess Mononoke which didn't do well in the States when it first was released on DVD), Neon Genesis Evangelion (though in Japan it didn't fare well at first due to its time slot), Sailor Moon, Serial Experiments Lain, and Yu Yu Hakusho are the only anime that I could think of right off the top of my head that did well in both areas. Just about anything that's very popular on fansub (with a few notable exceptions) the Japanese aren't thinking about. They're too busy watching DearS. Laughing

...I want to put Fushigi Yuugi in that list. But I'm not quite sure. I'll ask my brother.

Last edited by Tasha on Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell (the movie) didn't do so well in Japan, but became an international favorite.

(Sorry if this is repetitive of what Tasha said ... we posted at the same time.)
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
What are some of the hit animes in Japan that isn't very popular here in America? The only one I can think of is maybe Nadesico?
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Akira was far more popular in America than in Japan...which really excited the Japanese, since they thought that meant they could finally find a market for those really expensive, ambitious features that always flopped at home (like Honneamise). Unfortunately they didn't realize that people were mostly responding to the biker gangs and the exploding organs, which is why it took ten years for Memories (a movie designed specifically for an American audience) to get liscensed. And Satoshi Kon seems to be about equally popular here and in Japan - hence the simultaneous release of Tokyo Godfathers on both sides of the Pacific. And what a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of the best anime wouldn't exist if it wasn't for foreign interest - Dead Leaves, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh...all of those were produced by American and British investors. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Metropolis was one of them, too.

And lots of anime is popular in Japan but not here. Moomin. World Masterpiece Theater. Future Boy Conan. Puss in Boots. Hols, Prince of the Sun. Hakujaden. Minky Momo. Only Yesterday. Yokohama Shopping Log (prolly not that popular in Japan...but still more than over here). Sazae-san. Touch. Doreamon. Crayon Shin-chan. Chibi Maruko-chan. Many more that I can't think of right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
naeblis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Just wondering, but how are we defining popular here? Is this long term success or more short lived? Cause the larger the span of time is, I think it becomes natural that most things won't hold up.

I think Gundam Seed was also popular in Japan, but oddly enough I don't think it made as big a splash as Bandai was hoping for. Or maybe I just read something wrong...

And I think part of the reason that all the anime we have here is popular is because that's all we have. In Japan, I'm not even sure how many animes they have there, but they have a lot more to choose from.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Just wondering, but how are we defining popular here? Is this long term success or more short lived? Cause the larger the span of time is, I think it becomes natural that most things won't hold up.

I think Gundam Seed was also popular in Japan, but oddly enough I don't think it made as big a splash as Bandai was hoping for. Or maybe I just read something wrong...

And I think part of the reason that all the anime we have here is popular is because that's all we have. In Japan, I'm not even sure how many animes they have there, but they have a lot more to choose from.

I think Zeta kind of stole a bit of thunder away from Seed. Either way, every Seed DVD has been in the top 10 pre-orders for animenation, so I'm sure it's not doing that badly.

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
I always thought Naruto seemed more popular here than in japan. And in the future I think it deffinately will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4