• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does Gluttony sound so creepy?!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
In Full Metal Alchemist, why does Gluttony have such a gravely, creepy sounding voice? That doesn't fit his character at all. As you can tell from the Japanese version, Gluttony isn't cruel or sadistic, he doesn't sound at all creepy. Gluttony's infectious love of life is one of the bright points of the series. He has a purpose in life, and that is to eat anything he can see, and he does so with the gusto of a child in a confectionary. How did they manage to lose that completely in the translation?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
I never heard the original voice, but the fact that he eats people feep him from being too awefully endearing. Wink
philg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the dubbed version of F.M.A but I always liked Gluttony because he was so innocent, it's a shame they've made his voice so creepy. But the Japanese voices weren't especially good either, I'm still not suer whether Envy is a man or woman and I've finished the whole fantastic series?!?!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
You'd think so, right? But in the Japanese version he was totally the most likeable character in the series. Sure, he eats anything, people included, but he just loves it SOOOO much that you can't be mad at him for it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
His is the only voice in the dub that I'm not too keen on. It really should have been something a little more innocent sounding. Something with more pitch to it, but not shrieking, kinda strained sounding. I know the voice I wanted him to have, the only thing comparable that I can think of is Winnie the Pooh, just not quite as whispy sounding.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
I guess the Japanese wanted his voice to be that way in the dub. Don't forget that they were involved with the dub. According to one rep in the FUnimation.com forum, the Japanese chose some of the VAs.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
I think that many of the primary VAs in the series are pretty decent, about as good as could be expectd given the shape of the American dubbing industry. Maybe the Japanese are responsible for that. I somehow doubt they played a part in this casting though, since Gluttony is a more tertiary character. Still, it disapoints me. I miss Gluttony.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well, that's what the Funi rep said. It's possible that the Japanese wanted to change some things in the dub because they thought it might improve the show.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
Both versions sound pretty darn creepy to me. No complaints here, in fact the dub is pretty good for a Funi production. Funimation has gotten way better since their early days in my opinion, I also think they do a pretty good job on Yu Yu Hakusho as well.
naeblis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Yea, both versions are very, very, very scary. Even though the dub sounds nothing like the original (not a bad thing), Gluttony is bone chillingly, deep creepy. The original had that incredibly eerie child-like creepy, like watching that little boy in the Ring.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Gluttony is my favorite of the homunculi. I never thought of his original voice as innocent. And it was very unique voice, so finding anyone to even match that would be near impossible. The English voice is all right. They kept his personality in the dialogue and that's good enough for me and anyone new to the series.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
I want to know how did Gluttony become a humonculous. We were told how lust, envy, greed, wrath, sloth, and possibly pride were made, but never gluttony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
I have only seen the Japanese original version but I can say that I dont know how or why they would change his voice it was creepy and sadistic in its own way. I wouldnt change a thing about it. It fits him... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
Eh, Lust is Better.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Eh, Lust is Better.

That is correct, sir. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3