• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Anime collection, DVD or P2P?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeekerBJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
Greetings to everyone!
This is an attempt at getting to know how anime fans in other countries "assemble" their anime collection.

I started a poll of this kind on a forum in Slovenia, to see what sources people use for viewing anime. You can view the poll here, if you're curious.

As this forum doesn't allow polls, here's a list of choices. Select the number that applies best and write it in bold:

Do you buy your Anime or do you "burn" them yourselves?

1. I own and regulary buy DVDs.
    2. I already own and occasionaly (once a year, etc.) buy some DVDs.
    3. I have DVDs and buy them, but I get my supplies also through P2P.
    4. P2P only. I don't buy DVDs and don't plan to, while P2P is alive and kicking.
    5. I borrow Anime from a friend in one form or both.

I myself buy DVDs once a year or so, when I gather enough resources Wink, but I also use P2P as a source of potential future buys and in-between entertainment. So I choose answer #3.

(The standings as of 4th April 2005:)

1. |||||||||||||||....................34% (15)
    2. |||.........................................7% (3)
    3. ||||||||||||||||||||||.........50% (22)
    4. ||||........................................9% (4)
    5. ...............................................0% (0)

Total votes: 44

(Disclaimer: The standings are illustrative. The votes are personal interpretations of the answers, especially mixed ones.)

Last edited by SeekerBJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 am; edited 6 times in total
AlRayyes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote
I would says 3 and 5. I suspect this is the case with most people.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
I usually get DVDs, but in most cases, I've seen that series on fansubs FIRST and decided that it was a series worth spending my money on. THen, once I have the DVDs, I usually go and replace my fansubs with DVD rips (if the fansubs sucked. there are some series that I won't replace the fansubs for, because the fansubs are that good that my thoughts are "Who needs dvd rips with fansubs this good?").

Of course, this is after I already have the series. If there's a series I have on fansub that I don't plan on buying on DVD, it's also usually there because I have forgotten about it, or will be deleting it soon.
Lazuright

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
For me it would be 1.

For some odd reason, the DVD has a greater sentimental value to me and thats, to me, what really counts. Also you get stuff on the DVD that you can't get on the other.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Tough question, back in college I downloaded anime over P2P and traded CD-Rs with friends. However, all of the series that I had have since been replaced with DVDs that I have bought over the past few years, and I have only a small handful of CD-Rs still floating around - need to find them and go through them.

So I guess you can say that I have DVD though, since I no longer aquire anime through P2P.
DownLoadJihad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
I own the Miyazaki DVDs.

As for series..... it's ALL P2P Wink
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I never downloaded much films and music, and I have never downloaded an anime. The only thing I've downloaded that has something to do with anime are some music video's with anime footage made by fans (is there a word for this?).

I either buy or borrow my anime.

Farseer Ulthrion
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I do the same thing as sir_brass, I usually end up watching fan subs and then when it comes out here on dvd I will buy them if I thought the series was good. But there is also a lot of anime that I buy that I never saw fansubbed.

If I had a very good paying job I would probably be a 1. But since that is not the case, and I can only buy a certain amount before I go broke and have to start downloading fansubs for my anime, I guess I am more like a 3.
Iria51

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I only buy DVD's but I do download AMV's and music. I used to do P2P anime downloads but watching it on my computer doesn't even compare to seeing it on my TV. Plus I like having the actual DVD in my collection, along with all of the extras that come with them.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mostly number 3 , if Walmart had a bigger selection I would probably buy more DVD's or tapes from there(ugh they usually have yu-gi-oh or dbz). I get anime mostly from P2P and/or my friends. I should try netflix one of these days as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rond556

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I only really download if it's unavailable to buy.....damn, Naruto is gonna be EXPENSIVE
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider that I have it before I own the legit dvds. The same goes with videogames. I do regularly download fansubs, but only as a means to preview before I buy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I never count fansubs as ownership. When asked what anime I've seen and what I own, I list fansubs as seen, but never owned.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Probably a 2 because I have no money. I download some fan subs but I never put them on discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I used to be really strict about always buying DVDs. I'd download fansubs of unlicensed shows, and I'd do one or two episodes of preview for a show I was interested in but wasn't sure I wanted to buy, but I'd never pirate something outright.

Now I don't really care much about anime anymore. Barely watch it except for series I'm already in the middle of or new additions to franchises I'm a fan of (specifically Gundam and Macross). So it really hasn't come up lately. I haven't been downloading _or_ buying anything. But I have to imagine if I did want to see something, I probably wouldn't think twice about just downloading it now. Anime has become an extremely low priority to me and I don't really feel like spending $20-30 on a DVD. I still think piracy is wrong, but I've reached the point now where I lack the capacity to really care either way. But it doesn't really matter, because besides Gundam and Macross (which I still buy as it becomes available), the few shows I watch are unlicensed and will probably remain that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4