• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime/manga genre do you like?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
what type of stories turns you on? what gets you going?
Comedy, Action, Martial Arts, Sports, Drama, to name a few i like. I hate sci-fi, childrens and mecha... just dosnt do the trick..
panickinu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I like mixed comedy, action martial arts. A few drama would be ok, if mixed with the others. I dont want an anime based solely on drama.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The problem here is that the best anime will for sure be made up of more than one genre. This is the reason I tend to rate anime title by title, not by genre. For instance, if I was forced to pick a genre, I would be inclined to say I prefer romance or drama (a la the usual shoujo fare). But this, in fact, would be a false statement. A huge chunk of my anime collection is made up of mecha (which I never thought myself a fan of, btw) which happen to contain romantic or dramatic elements (like Macross, Escaflowne, etc). In any case, a story has to touch me on some kind of emotional level--whether is makes me laugh, cry, or just contemplate--before I decide I like it. I think this kind of emotional connection transcends genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
In any case, a story has to touch me on some kind of emotional level--whether is makes me laugh, cry, or just contemplate--before I decide I like it. I think this kind of emotional connection transcends genre.

I totally agree with you here. I can't really say that I like one genre better than the other because I like all of them to be truthful. If I said I like drama and action best, that would only cover a portion of anime that I actually like. Just because I tend to fancy drama and action, doesn't meen I don't really like other anime titles that make me feel happy, or just make me think.

If I confuse you sorry. Smile
OTP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I like Sci-Fi. I've always loved sci-fi, even before I began reading manga. There's just something about futuristic/in space adventures that just amazes me.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
That is a tough one. Almost every anime I have -- and I have many -- can be put in its own genre. But if I had to choose I would say fantasy, or anything that takes place in a world radically different from ours. It wouldn't hurt if their was some huge war going on as well; nothing like a big conflict. Escaflowne is a good example of this.
sariyana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd definitely say that romance is one of my favorite genres, because, well, I just love the thought of two people falling in love and ending up happily ever after. However, I also like fantasy, because I have to deal with the real world every day, and I'd like to escape every now and then. I am also fond of martial arts anime, just because martial arts are cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ralconn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
For me I would have to say an Action and Drama mix is what I like.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch anything as long as it has a good story and interesting characters, really. Judging from my collection though I generally prefer science fiction, mecha, action, martial-arts, and fantasy the most. Mostly the same genres I go for in live action titles as well.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't go by any genres. I go by storyline, horror, violence, and the maccabre. That being said. Some of my favorite stuff is Cowboy Bebop, .hack//SIGN, Vampire Hunter D series, Wolf's Rain, Big O, and InuYasha. My X-factor is music. I will literally buy a series even if the animation/etc is so-so but has great music. That might be the gamer influence in me though. Question

Jury's still out on Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, though I feel the former will be in my fave category by series' end in October.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
This question is very difficult for me to answer because I don't have a particular genre that I like. If a series has a story that grabs my attention and characters that I can relate to, then I will watch that series, whether it's a comedy, drama, mecha, etc. It also depends on what mood I'm in - if I'm felling depressed, than I will pop in a comedy series like Azumanga Daioh. If I crave action, then I will watch either Big O, Evangelion, or Gundam SEED. If I'm in the mood to watch a deep, compelling story, then I'll watch either Fullmetal Alchemist or SaiKano. If I want to see a combination of all the genres, Full Metal Panic! is my choice.

One genre I would like to see more of, however, is sports. Beside being an anime fan, I'm also a sports fan. (Some of you might have notice that I sometimes use sports references in my posts.) I do plan to watch Princess Nine (hopefully before the baseball season begins) and Slam Dunk (when Toei releases it stateside March 15).
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Billion wrote:
what type of stories turns you on? what gets you going?
Comedy, Action, Martial Arts, Sports, Drama, to name a few i like. I hate sci-fi, childrens and mecha... just dosnt do the trick..

None, as I don't view animation in a sexual sense.

:) But if you had worded that question more correctly, I would answer that I enjoy Shoujo, fantasy, and parody.

I like comedy too, but most anime comedies are, "Omg random nerd gets to live in a love hotel with 20+ gorgous busty stupid chicks!" and those bore me to tears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I like comedy, action, as well as others. There is no particular genre that appeals to me more than another as long as the story is good
jeffrey6283

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly an action/comedy or action/drama kind of guy. Oh, and I love giant robot series.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I myself go title by title. All video entertainment that I own, I buy because I like it. I don't really go for a certain genre. Most of the video entertainment I own have bits of every genre anyway. I love every genre.

I don't really read manga, but I do read Batman comics so I do love the intense action in comics. Maybe one day I will look into Manga. I have read Batman: Child of Dreams written by the manga scribe Kia Asamiya and I really enjoyed it. I may see if I can find any of his mangas first and go from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3