• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can a Nerd Get the Girl?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
Article taken from newsweek (international edition).

Newsweek wrote:
Pity the poor otaku. Obsessive-compulsive recluses, they are the diehard fans of Japan's world-famous subculture hobbies--anime (animated films), manga (cartoons) and videogames. More comfortable in a virtual world than the real one, they are notorious for their lack of social skills and even less fashion sense. The general rule is that otaku can't get dates.

So why, suddenly, are they hot? Chalk it up to the new "Densha Otoko" phenomenon. Last spring a (supposedly) real-life 22-year-old otaku--whose online pseudonym is Densha Otoko, or Train Man--began posting notes on Internet message boards. He'd met a woman waaay out of his league on the Tokyo train. Because he'd never had a date, he had no clue how to ask her out, where to take her or even how to talk to her. Fellow Netizens posted hundreds of makeover tips. Two months later Densha Otoko had acquired a new wardrobe, given up anime and his thrice-weekly visits to the otaku mecca of Tokyo's Akihabara district, and become a different man. He also got the girl.

A new book chronicling this Pygmalion-like transformation has sold 520,000 copies since October. A movie is slated for release in June. The hip lit magazine, Da Vinci, features a big article in its February issue entitled "Love of Otaku," with comments by former otaku and the women who date them. "Once the most unlikely love interest, otaku are now the center of attention," it declares. Even businessmen are bullish on otaku, it seems, according to a survey by Tokyo's Nomura Research Institute. Japan's 2.8 million otaku spend $2.7 billion a year on DVDs, comics and fantasy figures modeled after anime characters. Their Internet literacy and networking habits make them hugely influential, beyond mere purchasing power. "Their passion and creativity will be a driving force for industrial innovation," reports Nomura.

Loser nerds as lovers and business trendsetters, all in one myopic package? To determine whether this improbable combo could possibly be for real, I hit the streets of Akihabara to do some research. This turned out to be difficult. Otaku, it turns out, don't like eye contact, let alone verbal communication. The first five I approached jumped up and ran. The sixth was friendly but insisted he never has trouble getting a girl. The last was incensed. "Why ask me? You think I'm an otaku?"

Friends in the publishing biz offered different explanations for the phenom. "Densha Otoko" isn't any different from the most formulaic boy-meets-girl stories, said one. The otaku protagonist is just a twist on a regular love story. No, no, no, says Tatsuo Sekine, chairman of Tokyo marketing firm CM Research Center. "Otaku or not, all Japanese men relate to the guy. Constantly online, avoiding personal contact with others and making friends only on the Net--we are all becoming Densha Otoko."

Confused, I asked Hiro, a manga connoisseur and self-proclaimed otaku, what he thought. You've got it backward, he explained. "Densha Otoko" is not about an otaku in love. To the contrary, it's a story of a guy who ditches his otakuness for love. And that's why "Densha Otoko" is destined to remain a fad rather than become a trend. Because for hard-core otaku, the very idea is an impossibility. Despite all reports to the contrary, they are convinced that anonymous Densha Otoko is fictional.

The brutal truth is, otaku are nerds. They still can't get dates. But there is good news. They will continue to buy anime videos and figures. The Japanese economy is grateful.

Look, now all you otaku might have a chance too. Arrow Anime dazed I like the last part, the japanese economy is grateful.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:08 am; edited 8 times in total
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
But he gave up on his lifestyle he betrayed his world. I dont know if I could betray my morals just to get a girl. Besides I dont have that problem Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Green_Devil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Can a nerd get the girl?

Dictionary Nerd - A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

Everyone have their own ways. I am kinda going off topic, but I think it will fit in. Do anyone really see themself being a nerd? Do you fit into all the signs of being a nerd? I don't really count anyone in my highschool to be nerds.People usually think nerds are smart people, or atleast thats what come to mind, when I think of nerds. Nerd getting a girl, not impossible, putting in the effort of thinking ways to charm the girl will be a good way to get the girl. Nerds usually don't put in the effort to try hard enough to get the girl. The reason why most people fail to ask out the girl is Low self esteem if everyone can get their mind on their girl, you will be able to do it.

Yeah if you think im dumb or just my post didn't make sense, oh well. Smile
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Green_Devil wrote:
Can a nerd get the girl?

Dictionary Nerd - A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

Everyone have their own ways. I am kinda going off topic, but I think it will fit in. Do anyone really see themself being a nerd? Do you fit into all the signs of being a nerd? I don't really count anyone in my highschool to be nerds.People usually think nerds are smart people, or atleast thats what come to mind, when I think of nerds. Nerd getting a girl, not impossible, putting in the effort of thinking ways to charm the girl will be a good way to get the girl. Nerds usually don't put in the effort to try hard Wink enough to get the girl. The reason why most people fail to ask out the girl is Low self esteem if everyone can get their mind on their girl, you will be able to do it.

Yeah if you think im dumb or just my post didn't make sense, oh well. Smile

Your post makes sense to me. People here think the same thing. When we here the word nerd we think more along the lines of a geeky person (you know like Steve Ercal or however youi spell it) or someone who brings pokemon cards to school(just to let you know I am 19). I'm a skateboarder who likes anime and makes nothing but A's and high B's. A lot of my friends know these things about me but don't consider me a nerd. Though the last time I came back from an anime convention down a couple hundred dollars, they of course made the "You Nerd" comment jokingly Razz . My last girlfriend knew about my anime and she didn't think I was a nerd either. She just thought of it as a hobby. And for those who don't understand, I always have to explain to them that this has been my hobby for about 7 years so it is just who I am and they usually will back off.

But can a nerd get a girl. Of course. I have 2 suggestion.
1)Find another nerd.
2)Stop being a nerd.
But I guess you will never know until you try Wink
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
Silly question. Almost everyone, nerd or no, eventually "gets a girl." The real question is can a nerd "get the girl who is actually a catch and worth getting."
TF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:00 am Reply with quote
it is hard to say since the person in the article changed completely. So he can't be used as an example.

I think that everyone is able to find a partner (I'm the execption on the rule off course Anime cry ).
But to be a bit back on topic, i think a nerd is able to start a relation with a "out-of-his-league" women.
I'm not saying it is a regular thing, far from it but there will always be couples that prove that it is possible
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:33 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there a saying about things like this. "Opposits attract."
So, if you are a nerd then you stll have a chance. But then again, "nerd" would be based on the point of view of another person. Just like someone saying that marlyn monroe is ugly. Thats from their view point, not anyone elses.

Besides, we are anime fans, and from a lot of people's point of view, we are not at the pinicle of society. were down there with the anarchist street punks who cheer "oi" every 3 minutes. I have seen a lot of kids who listen to bleeding through, and other Hardcore/metal/punk bands. Many people are uncounciously aware that they could be watching anime right now. (I didn't know little Nemo was anime)

Im sure, like matticans said, just find a grirl nerd/guy nerd. easy as pie.
Rendart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
Never really thought about it... I will admit that I am anti-social and try to avoid confrontation whenever possible, but I still manage to have a social life. I probably dont get as much action as other people but I do get girls that are considered out of my league without a hitch. I also used to model so I guess that helps Wink ... But back on topic: I know several other people who should not be able to get dates by the evarage persons standards but they seem to be just fine... maybe it is different here in New York.

-Rendart
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Just remember Bill Gates was a nerd when he was in High School. This article is based on the Japanese. They are notoriously shy when it comes to girls and women. They get no help from their family and there are cultural hurdles that are very high for most to get over. Hence the large fantasies of harums, or the shy recluse who gets the pretty girl because he suddenly discovers he has a supernatural power to do so. It's a Japanese thing. Wink
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this is a story that plays well to the mundanes because that is what they think we should all do: Give up our hobbies and personalities and follow the crowd. Reminds me of Mallrats where one of the characters (don't remember name) had to publicly deny that he reads comic books and tells the crowd that comic books are for losers. All this to get the girl (granted, he was an annoying twit in how he treated her, but still...).

I am an "otaku" (and I use the term with irony) and I have an attractive wife who is also a fan. I was able to do this in part because I am clean, I dress decently, and I lived on my own. You don't have to give up your "otaku"-ness to get the girl (or the guy, I'll be fair here) because as long as you are willing to balance your hobby with the reality of job and home, you will be as "well-rounded" as any "normal" person.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Silly question. Almost everyone, nerd or no, eventually "gets a girl." The real question is can a nerd "get the girl who is actually a catch and worth getting."

But that's more a factor of there being three times as many single women as single men. Besides, what determines a girl who is "actually a catch and worth getting"? I have to admit, from listening to most 'otaku' guys, they'd better hope for a chance to date someone "out of their league," because they set their standards perhaps a bit too high sometimes.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight, give up everything I enjoy doing (probably including my job because I am a computer programmer) and I might get lucky and end up with a date?

/pfff/

Give me a break, your best bet is to be happy with who you are and if you meet someone you meet someone. About the only thing that he should have did was learn to be more social in dealing with other people - no point in giving up what you enjoy as well.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Acctually, the entire concept is pretty stupid. First of all, anyone with some unhealthy obsession into anything will have some troubles getting a date in the first place. Secondly, the person in the article, didn't only stop his "otaku" ness, he completely stopped anime and whatever related to it whatsoever. Really, he just changed himself for the love of another girl. While I'm not against making some changes for the one you love, something of such a trivial matter like a hobby (depends of the level of obsession) shouldn't need to be changed. People with the attitude "if you really loved me, you'd do [insert objective]." I'd stay away from.

I know self proclaimed "nerds" who are very nice and polite, and are a lot of fun to be with. I could easily picture these people getting a date. The last two lines in the article (which I somehow see as pretty unprofessional to put in an article read by millions) is way too broad of a generalization to be "true". It doesn't matter of the persons intrests, if a person is a jerk, they'll find it quite hard to find a date. A nerdy jerk is just as bad as your average high school jock jerk.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we'd better clarify the definition of "nerd" a bit more.

Green Devil's definition is correct, but the dictionary also says:

Nerd - A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept

So, according to the dictionary, no matter how obsessive or smart a person is, if he/she is able to successfully interact socially, then technically, that person is not a nerd.

So, a person wouldn't neccessarily have to give up his interests (and in the case of radicaledward, his livelihood) in order to escape this classfication; he/she just has to be able to interact with people.

In the case of "true" nerds, people who are genuinely socially incompetent, the chances of landing dates is probably pretty slim until they can gain enough audacity and self-confidence to talk to girls.

On the other hand, there's always the internet... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

In the case of "true" nerds, people who are genuinely socially incompetent, the chances of landing dates is probably pretty slim until they can gain enough audacity and self-confidence to talk to girls.

On the other hand, there's always the internet... Razz

At that point, you'd likely not even really have the desire for a relationship. If you did, it'd likely only be across the internet. The desire to meet someone in person would be very minimal.

Overall, the term "nerd" and "otaku" are hardly ever used to their true context or definition. I think the terms have been generalized to mean anyone obsessed with anything to an above average standard. I think that the socially incometent part is very often put aside when refering to such people.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3